3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

New Pop Charger!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 07:53 PM

New Pop Charger!

I just bought this new K&N pop charger off of e-bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...tem=1805772838 he said that it has the same velocity stack as the Stillen and comes with a genuine K&N filter all for 70 bucks. I'm pretty psyched, it's my first real mod, since all my money has gone into the transmission. I'll let you guys know how it works out.
Old 03-05-2002, 01:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

who makes pop chargers? i only know of jwt and stillen...and both cost waaaaay more than the price u won it @. Am I missing a company?
Jae
Old 03-05-2002, 02:40 AM

Originally posted by ThurzNite
who makes pop chargers? i only know of jwt and stillen...and both cost waaaaay more than the price u won it @. Am I missing a company?
Jae
ME!
nismo1989@aol.com
Old 03-05-2002, 04:26 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

it was a dutch bid..i bought one too,i should get it within the next few days,they had a few...check ebay
Old 03-05-2002, 06:30 AM

i bought my pop charger and fstb from this guy in person.... he's got a garage full of them. i bought the 5th gen fstb for my 3rd gen VE (im sure he has VG ones too). he lives in the nyc area.
Old 03-05-2002, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by poorcollegeboy
i bought my pop charger and fstb from this guy in person.... he's got a garage full of them. i bought the 5th gen fstb for my 3rd gen VE (im sure he has VG ones too). he lives in the nyc area.
so who makes the pop charger and is it a real pop or just an adaptor?
Jae
Old 03-05-2002, 12:23 PM

where in nyc?
still talk to him at all?
Old 03-05-2002, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by skatanic28

where in nyc?
still talk to him at all?
yeah.
Old 03-05-2002, 04:51 PM

Email Nismo1989, he has good ones, I've seen them and I'm getting one.
Old 03-05-2002, 11:43 PM
JsL

Keep us posted....

Once you get it and put it in...can you tell me what you think? I was looking at the Ebay auction, but i was skeptical. Does it really come with a big KN filter and Velocity stack. Thanx in advance...
Old 03-05-2002, 11:57 PM

Re: Keep us posted....

Originally posted by JsL
Once you get it and put it in...can you tell me what you think? I was looking at the Ebay auction, but i was skeptical. Does it really come with a big KN filter and Velocity stack. Thanx in advance...
A velocity stack is an improperly used term for the bracket that bolts to the MAF. Just because it has a tapered end does not make it a velocity stack because it is not exposed to the air. It is INSIDE the filter element and is virtually useless to the pop charger except for holding the filter to the MAF. A velocity stack replaces the filter element with a piece that looks like the end of a trumpet. For RACE applications ONLY. Does NOT filter dirt from the air or provide any protection to your engine. If you want pics of what a pop charger looks like send me an e:mail
nismo1989@aol.com

Peace
Old 03-06-2002, 12:06 AM

imo i think thats hella expensive i paid 20$ for the adapter that bolts on to the black air sensor and like 15$ for a filter thats just as good as the k&n i got it at a performance car shop its called an intake mounting braket i havent heard the term pop charger before i got on the org and was confused for a bit but i got it now i just say its my intake and filter but any ways thats my 2 cents
Rane
Old 03-06-2002, 12:26 AM

Originally posted by memphis92se
imo i think thats hella expensive i paid 20$ for the adapter that bolts on to the black air sensor and like 15$ for a filter thats just as good as the k&n i got it at a performance car shop its called an intake mounting braket i havent heard the term pop charger before i got on the org and was confused for a bit but i got it now i just say its my intake and filter but any ways thats my 2 cents
Rane
Yeah, when you buy JWT or Stillen you pay for the name, not the performance...
Old 03-06-2002, 12:03 PM
JsL

I remember...

O..now I remember why i was concerned if it had a "velocitystack"/filter adaptor or not... the velocity stack allows the filter to be bigger. if you just had a cheap adaptor, you only have a 3inch opening filter. but if u had the velocity stock, you get a 4+inch opening filter. if i find the right deal, i wouldnt mind the cheap adaptor though. Hows the one from ebay BTW? I'm looking into the ebay one because I trust KN filters and the adaptor, but i dont trust ebay. I've heard people bidding on Xboxes and literally getting a box with a X on it...
Old 03-06-2002, 12:16 PM

who cares how big your filter is where it bolts to the maf, the tubing the rest of the way to the TB is only 3", so whats the point of having a 5" opening? Oh well.

You can get the maf adaptor through Warpspeed (i got mine there) for around $20
Old 03-06-2002, 02:32 PM

I'll let you guys know how it works and get some pics of it installed. It is a very good deal compared to the JWT which has a filter with holes in it for 120 and the Stillen which is $190 or something. That's outrageous to pay $190 for an air filter and metal piece.
Old 03-06-2002, 06:59 PM
Still kickin'

pop charger

the velocity stack's purpose is to swirl around the charged air coming into the intake. this causes the air flow to be greatly increased causing you to get more horsepower. just my .02
email me if you have anyother ?'s
iglide@aol.com
Old 03-07-2002, 01:57 AM

Re: pop charger

Originally posted by Mad-MAX_SE
the velocity stack's purpose is to swirl around the charged air coming into the intake. this causes the air flow to be greatly increased causing you to get more horsepower. just my .02
email me if you have anyother ?'s
iglide@aol.com
No, that's not it at all. The velocity stack goes on instead of a filter at the end of a CAI and is for racing only. No filter element. It does direct the flow of intake air, but on a pop charger it would be useless. The closest thing that would have function like that on a pop would be an open ended filter element like the chrome ones I have. They take in a little more air and it is slightly more direct but the important part about intake flow is temperature and cleanness...
Old 03-07-2002, 08:14 AM

Re: Re: pop charger

Originally posted by nismo1989
No, that's not it at all. The velocity stack goes on instead of a filter at the end of a CAI and is for racing only. No filter element. It does direct the flow of intake air, but on a pop charger it would be useless. The closest thing that would have function like that on a pop would be an open ended filter element like the chrome ones I have. They take in a little more air and it is slightly more direct but the important part about intake flow is temperature and cleanness...
No, I'm correcting you as a friend. Normally on popchargers you have a filter, the back of which can be as large as 5", with a plate on the back of it that has a 2.5" hole in it. A velocity stack is a tapered bracket that smoothly changes the diameter instead of just being a flat plate. It's like putting a 2.5" test pipe on a 2" exhaust, there's too much turbulence created by that 1/4" radius wall. You have to have a 2.5-2" adapter piece in between to cut down the diameter gradually in order to eliminate the turbulence.

Old 03-07-2002, 05:59 PM

Re: Re: Re: pop charger

Originally posted by Badaxxima

The JWT pop I just got has a "velocity stack" just like that except it doesn't have the 2 screw holes in it (it's smooth and more rounded) and has a MAF adapter machined into it. It has a 3" hole with a huge 6" filter mouth. I didn't know they built the adapter into it, since it makes it harder to make the intake tube longer with an extra section of tubing

Anyone know who makes the new JWT filter by the way?
Old 03-08-2002, 06:57 AM

Your wrong. They are not an import thing like the piece you just showed. They are used on all kinds of engines from formula one to muscle cars. The piece you showed may be called a velocity stack by someone here or by JWT, but it is not.
Old 03-08-2002, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by nismo1989
Your wrong. They are not an import thing like the piece you just showed. They are used on all kinds of engines from formula one to muscle cars. The piece you showed may be called a velocity stack by someone here or by JWT, but it is not.
Dude, I'm sorry, but no one runs a $40,000 (NASCAR) to a $250,000+ engine without an air filter, whoever told you that is wrong. The piece I showed isn't an import thing, it's a velocity stack off a motor scooter. Velocity stacks are EVERYWHERE now, not just on popchargers. That pic I showed may not exactly be called a velocity stack, but it serves a similar purpose, to straighten, accelerate and smooth airflow. Go to a search engine (Google, Yahoo, AltaVista, Lycos) and type "velocity stack." You'll see so many examples of what I displayed you'll be amazed.
Old 03-08-2002, 11:48 AM

What's this guys name. He jereked me around and sold me stuff that didn't fit. He got banned from ebay like 6 times and keeps coming back with a different SN. However I should mention I did buy a K&N filter like the ones mentioned above and it fits okay. I had to use a dremel to fix the screw holes to line up with my MAF. Other than that it works great.
Old 03-08-2002, 02:34 PM

Dude, I'm sorry, but no one runs a $40,000 (NASCAR) to a $250,000+ engine without an air filter, whoever told you that is wrong. The piece I showed isn't an import thing, it's a velocity stack off a motor scooter. Velocity stacks are EVERYWHERE now, not just on popchargers. That pic I showed may not exactly be called a velocity stack, but it serves a similar purpose, to straighten, accelerate and smooth airflow. Go to a search engine (Google, Yahoo, AltaVista, Lycos) and type "velocity stack." You'll see so many examples of what I displayed you'll be amazed.
Whatever. We can go round and round...
Come by the house and I'll break out the intake catalog and show you how those engines run without filters. Yes they do run without filters. You my friend are wrong. What you showed is not only useless on a pop charger but is NOT a velocity stack. I will prove it to you in person...
Old 03-08-2002, 03:19 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

velocity stack, but it serves a similar purpose, to straighten, accelerate and smooth airflow
Badaxxima hit it right on the head here...that's exactly what a *TRUE* velocity stack does. However, for for the most part, these "velocity stacks" you see sold on pop-chargers are just fancy terms so that companies can get more money. Most of the time "velocity stacks" are just the adapter plate (I think nismo1989 was getting at this). Companies taper them a little bit and "smooth" them and market them as velocity stacks so they can charge more.
Old 03-09-2002, 01:45 PM

S&B also makes some very nice looking air filters that have a (I guess) "true" velocity stack built into them ("Adjustable Velocity Tuning Stack") or one that has a tapered base on the filter leading to the neck ("Big Mouth Power Unit"). Both look good for smoother flow than just the usual MAF adapter ---> filter combo.

www.sbfilters.com

Have to get the PDF to see it though.

BTW, I read another thread elsewhere and someone said the above piece of hardware is a venturi not a velocity stack, which sounds more correct to me actually.
Old 03-11-2002, 03:23 PM

i actually just got this K&N today that hes talkin about,midrange power seemed to pick up considerably,and gives a nice tone,looks good under the hood..has an OBX "velocity stack" its actually a very nice setup and was well worth the $79 shipped from ebay..thats my $.02
Old 03-11-2002, 03:33 PM

Sweet, I'm looking foward to getting it. I sent the money order out on Wednesday so it should be here by next week. He said it's just like the Stillen.
Old 03-11-2002, 04:15 PM

Regarding the "velocity stacks".... I think it is one of those generic terms for most people. A velocity stack doesn't have to have a venturi in it. I've also seen them with filters on them. They can be fitted easily with a simple sock filter. A velocity stack in itself only needs to be a simple tube. The lower the rpm you're tuning for the longer it is. Most velocity stacks do have venturis on the end. A properly designed venturi for a fuel injected car likely won't speed up the flow much. If it does speed it up at a certain rpm, then it will restrict it at high rpm.....so it's usually better for it not to. A venturi on a carbeurated car needs to speed up the flow so that it can create low pressure to suck the fuel in. Once over it's designed rpm, it will be restrictive,...and even at it's designed rpm it is still somewhat restrictive. A venturi for a fuel injected car should smooth the airflow without much restriction. If it speeds it up then it's restrictive.....unless it's coupled with a ram intake. So if you want low end, put a big long tube on it like the CAI does. This is essentially a velocity stack. For high end get rid of the tube. A venturi like what stillen has should do more good than harm since it is nice and short and rounds away from the middle quickly. It should smooth the airflow without restriction at low or high rpms. Though I doubt it will do much,,...every little bit helps. If you see a venturi that looks like a megaphone then it will likely be restrictive for a fuel injected engine. It needs to look like the very tip of a bell. Stillen's is a very good example,....just a bit pricey like ya'll have said. Whant a cheap one? Check out your old air box(the one with the fliter inside). There's a venturi inside. It takes like a 4 or 4-1/2 inch filter.

Gene