3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

the VG30ET swap ?'s (the thread that will never die)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 04:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the VG30ET swap ?'s

Exactly what all would i need to change on the vg30et from a 300zx to fit it in there. from the looks on the fiche i can see it looks like i'll need to get a custom manifold done, take the fan off, um.. i'm not noticing other stuff but i know there is. Any help?
Old 03-05-2002, 05:07 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and be a jacka$s here.

Mtcookson, for your last couple of posts i've noticed you're really stupid. You said you're going to take a class on car stuff. Instead of asking these questions now, why don't you take your class first? What use is any of the answers you get, if you still won't be able to do a damn thing?
I've seen people bring this topic over and over, and then the same links are showed, if you search you'll find them and don't say you searched.

geez..for heavens sake you have stb's on your future mods list, and you're all into an engine swap? Damn man, do something to improve your current handling before you think about anything else (even if it's an engine swap).

If you start out with cars not knowing much and aiming too high, you'll get no where, not now, not ever.

I'm not about to enter into a flame war with you, so no matter what you say, i'm not going to reply, but geez man..think!
Old 03-05-2002, 05:25 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I'll be jacka$$ #2 then.....cause I agree!

Originally posted by Sudesh
I'm going to go out on a limb and be a jacka$s here.

Mtcookson, for your last couple of posts i've noticed you're really stupid. You said you're going to take a class on car stuff. Instead of asking these questions now, why don't you take your class first? What use is any of the answers you get, if you still won't be able to do a damn thing?
I've seen people bring this topic over and over, and then the same links are showed, if you search you'll find them and don't say you searched.

geez..for heavens sake you have stb's on your future mods list, and you're all into an engine swap? Damn man, do something to improve your current handling before you think about anything else (even if it's an engine swap).

If you start out with cars not knowing much and aiming too high, you'll get no where, not now, not ever.

I'm not about to enter into a flame war with you, so no matter what you say, i'm not going to reply, but geez man..think!
Old 03-05-2002, 06:10 PM

whew.... finally. i did about an hour of searching and finally found what i needed. I'm sorry guys for not using the search in the first place and thank you guys for reminding me of it. I always tend to forget about it.
Old 03-05-2002, 10:54 PM

Re: the VG30ET swap ?'s

Originally posted by mtcookson
Exactly what all would i need to change on the vg30et from a 300zx to fit it in there. from the looks on the fiche i can see it looks like i'll need to get a custom manifold done, take the fan off, um.. i'm not noticing other stuff but i know there is. Any help?
its.easy.to.turbo.a.maxima..i.did.it.in.2.hours.in cluding.a.beer.break..all.u.need.is.an.engine.and. a.blow.off.valve..everything.else.bolts.right.on!!

(sorry.about.the.typing..my.spacebar.broke.on.my.k eyboard)
Old 03-05-2002, 11:02 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Re: Re: the VG30ET swap ?'s

Originally posted by SkyMax

its.easy.to.turbo.a.maxima..i.did.it.in.2.hours.in cluding.a.beer.break..all.u.need.is.an.engine.and. a.blow.off.valve..everything.else.bolts.right.on!!

hi nevin
Old 03-05-2002, 11:05 PM

wow duuuuuuuuuuuuud.. that sig is tight yo.. i followed those instructions, and tommarrow mines will be done!
Old 03-05-2002, 11:32 PM

Do you mean VG30DET?
Old 03-05-2002, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by nismo1989

Do you mean VG30DET?
nah.he.means.VG30ET...SOHC..12valves..206-1hp.(sorry.my.five.key.doesn't.work..supposed.to.s ay.200+five.hp.)..6psi.of.boost.to.a.6200.redline. .no.high.end.horsepower.but.lots.of.low.end.torque ...haha..if.only.a.VG30DET.would.actually.work.wel l.in.our.cars.without.major.modifications.
Old 03-06-2002, 09:00 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

i'm taking donations to get nevin a new keyboard. he spent all of his loot on the TT and now can't afford things like a keyboard...
Old 03-06-2002, 11:58 AM

hey!! i know how to fix the keyboard, maybe. ok... shake your keyboard and listen for pieces inside. if you here it take the back off of your keyboard and take the white pieces that are laying around in there out and there you go. If you tend to slam on your keyboard a lot (like me) then it is for sure that problem.
Old 03-06-2002, 02:46 PM

hey!! i know how to fix the keyboard, maybe. ok... shake your keyboard and listen for pieces inside. if you here it take the back off of your keyboard and take the white pieces that are laying around in there out and there you go. If you tend to slam on your keyboard a lot (like me) then it is for sure that problem.
I.spilled.beer.on.my.keyboard..
Old 03-06-2002, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by Chris91SE

i'm taking donations to get nevin a new keyboard. he spent all of his loot on the TT and now can't afford things like a keyboard...
Old 03-06-2002, 02:49 PM

Old 03-06-2002, 02:54 PM

nope sorry, i don't know how to fix that one. actually there's proabably no way to fix that one. I got a couple keyboards laying around if you want one. Just give me your address and i'll send it if you want.
Old 03-06-2002, 03:04 PM
STFU n00b!

DOH! I did that to one of my laptops once... it made some coool lines on the display for the 3 seconds it worked after I spilled it on there..
extended warranty people didn't like it though. cost me $50 deductible to get it fixed. Cost them $2800.

Word to the wise: Never Drink and Chat.
Old 03-06-2002, 03:12 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

alcohol abuser...remind me to kick your **** next time i see you
Old 03-06-2002, 03:19 PM

i'm.innocent
Old 03-06-2002, 07:01 PM

you could always highlight and copy a space in someone's sentence...here. i'll give you one...lalala lala. and then just press ctrl+v or whatever you need to do to paste it instead of hitting the period key. that part might take a half a second longer, but then you wouldn't have to explain every post either.
Old 03-06-2002, 09:01 PM

i feel your pain bro.. the numbers on the right side of my keyboard rarely work anymore, and also, the right-arrow key turned into a "windows start menu" button. sucks. a lot of other keys messed up too, but in time, they began to work.
Old 03-07-2002, 12:30 AM

give it up and just ride a bicycle dude. It`d be safer for all of us
Old 03-07-2002, 02:01 AM

hey.maybe.we.should.all.type.like.this.so.skymax.d oesn't.feel.bad.what.would.you.think.about.reading .posts.like.this.all.day?someone.get.the.man.a.new .keyboard
Old 03-07-2002, 06:09 AM
STFU n00b!

Nevin... put your keyboard in the shower.. seriously... hose it off really good and let it drip-dry for a few hours, then plug it back in.
if all else fails, you'll just have to dump a little beer money for a new keyboard.
Old 03-07-2002, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
Nevin... put your keyboard in the shower.. seriously... hose it off really good and let it drip-dry for a few hours, then plug it back in.
if all else fails, you'll just have to dump a little beer money for a new keyboard.
You.think.the.shower.trick.will.really.work?..I.or dered.an.HKS.keyboard.should.be.coming.in.the.mail .soon.from.Japan.
Old 03-07-2002, 02:22 PM
STFU n00b!

You.think.the.shower.trick.will.really.work?..I.or dered.an.HKS.keyboard.should.be.coming.in.the.mail .soon.from.Japan.
damn... that boat from Japan is slloooooow I hate waiting on JDM parts... try the shower trick, and if it doesn't work, you'll have your new HKS keyboard in a few months.

I've done that with a couple keyboards.. always fixed them.. didn't work on my laptop though.. then again, sticking a beer-soaked HDD and motherboard in the shower probably wasn't goign to save it at that point.
Old 03-07-2002, 02:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

didn't work on my laptop though.. then again, sticking a beer-soaked HDD and motherboard in the shower probably wasn't goign to save it at that point.
"Beer Soaked!?" What were you drinking out of, a bong?

<-Matt and Skymax
Old 03-07-2002, 02:37 PM

damn... that boat from Japan is slloooooow I hate waiting on JDM parts... try the shower trick, and if it doesn't work, you'll have your new HKS keyboard in a few months.

I've done that with a couple keyboards.. always fixed them.. didn't work on my laptop though.. then again, sticking a beer-soaked HDD and motherboard in the shower probably wasn't goign to save it at that point.
Let me try this copy & paste trick...seems to be working but is annoying as hell. Anyway, my computer & keyboard was on when i spilled beer on it..Won't that mean the spacebar key on my keyboard short circuited or something? How will soaking it in water and then drying it help?..I'm confused?
Old 03-07-2002, 03:26 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by Badaxxima

"Beer Soaked!?" What were you drinking out of, a bong?

<-Matt and Skymax
mmmmmmmmmmmm beer bong
Old 03-07-2002, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by bucketheadd

give it up and just ride a bicycle dude. It`d be safer for all of us
......newbie.... shutup. i'm not giving up. if you give up you don't deserve ANYTHING!
Old 03-07-2002, 05:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: the VG30ET swap ?'s

......newbie.... shutup. i'm not giving up. if you give up you don't deserve ANYTHING!
I wouldn't go picking fights my friend, you were a newbie not even a month ago... Then you became a Thread *****.

Also, you deserve the respect for having enough common sense to know when you're in WAY over your head.
Old 03-07-2002, 06:42 PM

how can i be in way over my head doing an engine swap??? people have done it before. why is it just me???
Old 03-07-2002, 06:47 PM

how can i be in way over my head doing an engine swap??? people have done it before. why is it just me???
You really don't understand a single thing anyone has said to you, do you?
Old 03-07-2002, 06:51 PM

no
Old 03-07-2002, 06:52 PM

but i know what 2+2 is.
Old 03-07-2002, 07:08 PM

but i know what 2+2 is.
Alright, I'll lay out as much as I have gathered from research (you can't spell research without SEARCH):
You have to acquire the Z31 Turbo motor and it's ECU. You have to turn the motor sideways, which means you must fabricate motor mounts. I don't know how far off the crossmember mounts and the motor mounts are, but I know custom mounts must be fabricated. You must also fabricate new exhaust manifolds and have (at least) a custom Y-pipe to mate up to the new manifolds. You must make sure the fuel system is capable of supporting the turbo. You must make sure the FWD transaxle bolts up properly to the Z31 motor and get a good clutch. You must make sure the tranny is capable of holding the power, as well as the CV joints/boots, axles and VLSD. I believe there is a whole list of clearance issues inside the engine bay with all the extra intake/exhaust plumbing required to feed the turbo and vent exhaust gases. I doubt the stock VG30E's radiator will be enough, and the tranny will probably need a cooling unit as well. If you want to install an intercooler, god knows what all that requires. I'm sure with enough time, patience, info, research and guidance from someone who has done more engine swaps than just a 350 into a Camaro or a 302 into a Capri even you can do it, but just realize that it is probably going to take weeks and possibly $2000+ dollars just for installation. Plus motor, plus downtime, plus research time, plus tools/bolts/gasket/shipping/etc. etc. Good luck, if you want an extra hand (though not a terribly experienced one) I'd be glad to stop by from time to time.
-Justin
Old 03-07-2002, 08:15 PM

Alright, I'll lay out as much as I have gathered from research (you can't spell research without SEARCH):
Maybe you should return to the library, cuz you didn't even get past your 2nd statement..
Old 03-07-2002, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by Maximamike
Maybe you should return to the library, cuz you didn't even get past your 2nd statement..
Please correct me, I appreciate the input.
Old 03-07-2002, 08:56 PM

You have to acquire the Z31 Turbo motor and it's ECU. You have to turn the motor sideways, which means you must fabricate motor mounts. I don't know how far off the crossmember mounts and the motor mounts are, but I know custom mounts must be fabricated. You must also fabricate new exhaust manifolds and have (at least) a custom Y-pipe to mate up to the new manifolds. You must make sure the fuel system is capable of supporting the turbo. You must make sure the FWD transaxle bolts up properly to the Z31 motor and get a good clutch. You must make sure the tranny is capable of holding the power, as well as the CV joints/boots, axles and VLSD. I believe there is a whole list of clearance issues inside the engine bay with all the extra intake/exhaust plumbing required to feed the turbo and vent exhaust gases. I doubt the stock VG30E's radiator will be enough, and the tranny will probably need a cooling unit as well. If you want to install an intercooler, god knows what all that requires. I'm sure with enough time, patience, info, research and guidance from someone who has done more engine swaps than just a 350 into a Camaro or a 302 into a Capri even you can do it, but just realize that it is probably going to take weeks and possibly $2000+ dollars just for installation. Plus motor, plus downtime, plus research time, plus tools/bolts/gasket/shipping/etc. etc. Good luck, if you want an extra hand (though not a terribly experienced one) I'd be glad to stop by from time to time.
-Justin
Sorry to say this.. but I don't agree with everything you said. You have some really good points.. but some parts aren't necessarily true. Being a Veteran and having done VG30ET swap.. I can tell some things your saying is incorrect.
Old 03-08-2002, 12:38 PM

i tried saying thanks last night for the info but it was giving me that dumb server error so i'll say it now. Thanks for that info, whether it be wrong or right it still helped a little.
Old 03-08-2002, 12:41 PM

hmm... what would be better then... doing the vg30et swap or just getting the stock maxima engine with a turbo? thanks.

Quick Reply: the VG30ET swap ?'s (the thread that will never die)