3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Took the Bose speakers out..BAD MOVE

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:39 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by benstoked
dude... that thing is $40. I got cheap walmart speakers for that much that blow the bose speakers away....
(and I fit 6.5" in my door using home-made brackets made of plywood, btw)
I used MDF on mine.
Free speakers and H/U from an eclipse I bought and sold FTW
Old 03-12-2008, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by sams
1994 maxima...Need to replace my bose H/U .. I see an adapter that crutchfield offers if i buy a deck through them> will this allow me to run the bose speakers off of the new aftermarket Head unit.????

The package includes the OEA-4 adapter and a Nissan-specific harness
->Execute BOSE DUMP

->Http://www.crutchfield.com

->execute HU & SPEAKER purchase. You will get power/speaker harness, Dash and antenna adaptors. You will not need some cheaply made, suspect OEA-4 adapter this way.

->For simple wiring use the already installed OEM wiring (make sure you have removed the amps that are attached to the crappy, junky, blow wad, OEM BOSE speakers).

->Execute listening enjoyment while driving
Old 03-12-2008, 10:50 AM

You guys are so helpful.. ok .ok so lets say i'm going to buy a head unit and speakers whats the cheapest but best way to do it ... aka show me an affordable package through crutchfeild . or an alternative.

Thanks alot
Old 03-12-2008, 10:58 AM

also whats a good deck i was looking at a sony CDX-GT710 but ive heard sony isnt good...... i want a cool display and cd/mp3 anddddd maybe bluetooth or sum other options......keep in mind im planin on puttin in a subwoofer by the end of this year.

thanks
Old 03-12-2008, 11:04 AM

You guys are so helpful.. ok .ok so lets say i'm going to buy a head unit and speakers whats the cheapest but best way to do it ... aka show me an affordable package through crutchfeild . or an alternative.
This is where YOU have to start doing your own homework.

You have to decide on features and budget. Let Crutchfield's website help you weed through the units. There are lots of DECENT head ends for under $150. The rear can use 6x9s so start there. Crutchfield lists 4x6 fronts, but I think think you can do better. But that's up to your skill level.

For instance, for a new head end one of the top things I wanted was an included iPod interface that would display on the HU. I ended buying the Sony CDXGT420IP CD for $129 (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-eplOgOz...x?i=158GT420IP). It does all I want at a price I was willing to pay. Your requirements may be different. Shop around.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:04 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Thanks alot
Crutchfield+ affordable= lol
Old 03-12-2008, 11:09 AM
mod or sell?

Thanks alot
also whats a good deck i was looking at a sony CDX-GT710 but ive heard sony isnt good...... i want a cool display and cd/mp3 anddddd maybe bluetooth or sum other options......keep in mind im planin on puttin in a subwoofer by the end of this year.

thanks
you want cheap or do you want toys?

if you plan on adding a subwoofer, make sure you get an H/U with line out jacks.

does your max have the pocket under the radio? if not you'll need to get something to fill that space since most H/Us are single din.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...ures_and_specs specs are decent and the price is too. Clarion made the factory installed Bose systems to begin with which lasted 13+ years

speakers are a fairly easy swap over other than the fronts needing a bracket made custom
Old 03-12-2008, 11:09 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Greeny
Crutchfield+ affordable= lol
Affordable is relative.
$80 isn't bad for a H/U
Old 03-12-2008, 11:10 AM

Are sony's good decks? what do you recomend as far as decks my max is around 200$

thanks
Old 03-12-2008, 11:12 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Affordable is relative.
$80 isn't bad for a H/U
But you can find better deals locally...check out best buy, or circuit city, their prices are cheaper then crutchfield, plus you don't have to pay shipping if you buy local.

Also, both these places offer installation, plus a local warranty=no shipping items off if they fail.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:15 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Are sony's good decks? what do you recomend as far as decks my max is around 200$

thanks
I like this unit.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1197074854073
Old 03-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

if you plan on adding a subwoofer, make sure you get an H/U with line out jacks.
fyi, Sams, look at line out voltages. higher is better. 2.0v is usually standard, but kinda weak. if budget permits, see about a 4v outs.
does your max have the pocket under the radio? if not you'll need to get something to fill that space since most H/Us are single din.
brian, can we fit a double-din in the dash with little/no modification? it seem that we could, but I just wanna ask.

Sams: this is where junkyards can be your friend. if you dont have the pocket, you can pick one up pretty cheap (I got one for $5)
Old 03-12-2008, 11:17 AM

But you can find better deals locally...check out best buy, or circuit city, their prices are cheaper then crutchfield, plus you don't have to pay shipping if you buy local.

Also, both these places offer installation, plus a local warranty=no shipping items off if they fail.
Crutchfield's doesn't charge shipping AND includes all the wiring/dash and antenna adaptors for FREE if your order is over $129. They also don't charge sales tax.

Everytime I've bought a HU, the base prices Best Buy and Circuit city wanted were higher and they didn't include any of the extras, including unlimited phone tech support. AND the Govenor had to have his hand in my pocket too!
Old 03-12-2008, 11:20 AM

Perfect example..... listed at $209 bare (plus S&H and tax!) at the site you sent. Crutchfield's has the same unit for $189 and includes the extras

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...B&i=130DEHP500
Old 03-12-2008, 11:26 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by shoult
Crutchfield's doesn't charge shipping AND includes all the wiring/dash and antenna adaptors for FREE if your order is over $129. They also don't charge sales tax.

Everytime I've bought a HU, the base prices Best Buy and Circuit city wanted were higher and they didn't include any of the extras, including unlimited phone tech support. AND the Govenor had to have his hand in my pocket too!
Has crutchfield's always had free shipping? I don't recall them offering this when i've looked at their site in the past.

Either way, i guess this comes down to preference, i like to buy electronics locally.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:29 AM

http://www.crutchfieldcanada.com/Ken.../113dpx302.htm

will this 4 inch head unit take up the space of my original stock radio. is this a nice unit or is it crap/easily stolen??
Old 03-12-2008, 11:30 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by shoult
Perfect example..... listed at $209 bare (plus S&H and tax!) at the site you sent. Crutchfield's has the same unit for $189 and includes the extras

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...B&i=130DEHP500
Well, i must say crutchfield has come down considerably on their prices from years ago when i looked through their inventory.

Side note: i meant buying at best buy locally vs. through their website. but either way, they are cheaper.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:34 AM

sorry to re post but.

will this 4 inch head unit take up the space of my original stock radio. is this a nice unit or is it crap/easily stolen??
Old 03-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

yeah, the size is what i was asking brian (internetautomar) a second ago.
I would go with something more like what greeny mentioned. this one has 22w rms(not CEA compliant), and 2X 2,5v preamps. the other one (the pioneer suggested by greeny) may only have 14w rms(and is CEA compliant), but has 3x 4v preouts.
btw
Originally Posted by crutchfield
CEA Compliant
A voluntary standard from the Consumer Electronics Association that advocates a uniform method for determining an amplifier's RMS power and signal-to-noise ratio. Using 14.4 volts, RMS watts are measured into a 4-ohm impedance load at 1 percent Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) plus noise, at a frequency range (for general purpose amplifiers) of 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz. Signal-to-Noise ratio is measured in weighted absolute decibels (dBA) at a reference of 1 watt into 4 ohms. This applies to both external amplifiers and the amplifiers within in-dash receivers.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:30 PM
mod or sell?

I too prefer local purchasing. My brother learned the hard way why it's better to buy local.

brian, can we fit a double-din in the dash with little/no modification? it seem that we could, but I just wanna ask.
yes we are a double din opening.

you are in canada?
that makes some of our pricing points invalid.

there is a custom car place down the block from me who will typically match any price on car stereos.
I haven't had occasion to buy from him as of yet because I keep getting used. ($25 radio with tons of outputs, an input and MP3 player FTW)

part of choosing a stereo is knowing how it will be used. to me tuner sensitivity is important as I mostly listen to the radio. The $25 insignia stereo I put in does a better job of it than my alpine does.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:12 PM
White_Shadow

Ok! This is a subject where I can help, I learn the hard way there's nothing better than do it your self, specially sound systems.

First things first: Don't buy a Sony deck, they are trash! however if all you want is a basic sound and nothing fancy you could go for it but I guess your first purchase on best buy will give you the idea how poor quality is Sony Xplod on any of their products.

I would ask first, do you plan to power up your speakers with an amp? if you answer is yes then you shouldn't care about the preout wattage of the Head Unit, you have to look for a nice voltage output.

Nice head unit brands will go in this order for me (that's my taste but definitely good quality ones): Pionner premiere, pionner, alpine, eclipse, kenwood.

I bought a basic model Pionner 4900 for my dad's car which don't need amp or big speakers and I paid $90 shipped on ebay (find a reputable seller if you choose ebay)

The speakers I could recommend depends on if you are going to use an amp or just the pre amp from HU, but again don't even think about Sony, they are one o the worst brands like: Roadmasters, Dual, performance teknique, audiobahn, jensen, lightning audio, don't get any of those, you'll be dissapointed.

check: www.onlinecarstareo.com they have great deals also www.woofersetc.com

don't worry about the double din, as long as you have your original brackets all you might need is a custom cover to fill the empty gap on the bottom of the head unit, (I have a cup holder there!)
Old 03-12-2008, 03:57 PM

Yes i live in canada and have a 94 maxima with bose speakers. Does anyone know the best place to order buy a deck in canada?

thanks
Old 03-12-2008, 03:58 PM

i Want to buy an aftermarket deck that will treat the stock bose speakers well thats all.

Yes i live in canada and have a 94 maxima with bose speakers. Does anyone know the best place to order buy a deck in canada?

thanks
Old 03-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

what little of it heard i actually liked the 3rd Gen Bose... am i just missing out on what "good audio" is all about? it was far beyond the sound quality my GXE non-bose w/ aftermarket Aiwa deck and sony xplod door speakers puts out.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:23 PM

does my 94 maxima with bose system have an amp on each speaker or is the amp in /under the trunk area?
Old 03-12-2008, 04:32 PM

does my 94 maxima with bose system have an amp on each speaker or is the amp in /under the trunk area?
One amp on each speaker
Old 03-12-2008, 04:52 PM

my 1994 maxima bose system sais. cd ERR (error) when i try to play cd's. is this an easy fix? does anybody have a repair instructions for the stock maxima head unit . orrrr should i just buy a new aftermarket head unit?

Thanks
Old 03-12-2008, 05:04 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

my 1994 maxima bose system sais. cd ERR (error) when i try to play cd's. is this an easy fix? does anybody have a repair instructions for the stock maxima head unit . orrrr should i just buy a new aftermarket head unit?

Thanks
The stock system is not worth fixing imo...Lose all of it..
Old 03-12-2008, 05:48 PM

what are the best reasonably priced speakers to buy for a 1994 maxima that will produce nice sound from an aftermarket headunit? I have heard there are problems with the size of the front speaker wholes? can people fill me in on what they have done with their car audio systems.

i do not want to buy an amp . will i still be able to get good sound with the speakers hooked to an aftermarket head unit?

thanks
Old 03-12-2008, 06:06 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

what are the best reasonably priced speakers to buy for a 1994 maxima that will produce nice sound from an aftermarket headunit? I have heard there are problems with the size of the front speaker wholes? can people fill me in on what they have done with their car audio systems.

i do not want to buy an amp . will i still be able to get good sound with the speakers hooked to an aftermarket head unit?

thanks

For the rear, any aftermarket 6x9's will fit into the bose speaker pod. Pioneer speakers have a nice sound, and are affordable, just find a set within your price range.

The fronts are different story..The stock speaker pods will not support any aftermaket speakers without some sort of speaker pod retrofit..

Thread about these pods--->http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=388371

Amp or no amp is just going to be about your sound preference, some people are satisfied with no amp, some are not..You be the judge..
Old 03-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Amp or no amp is just going to be about your sound preference, some people are satisfied with no amp, some are not..You be the judge..
to clarify what greeny said, the bose system has an amp for each speaker mounted by the speaker. pretty much all aftermarket head unit has a built in amp. the "OEA-4" thing takes that amp'd signal and turns it to a line level signal(similar to the rca outs for your stereo or tv, minus the video signal) that gets sent to the bose speaker amp.

many people chose to use extra amps to push the four main speakers to 50w(rms) or even upwards of 500w(rms) per speaker. Subs can be pushed to well over 4x these numbers, each, easy. IMO, 50w(rms) is more than adequate, with a good head unit that has no noticeable distortion.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:26 PM

I got a Panasonic H/U, two 5" Treos in the front, two Pinoeer 6x9's in the back and two 12" Kicker comp subs in the trunk and a 1 farad Capacitor, this thing hits hard, my neighbors complain alot to me
Old 03-12-2008, 11:52 PM

this really all depends on your taste. i know what it's like to be on a budget and piece together a system. imho, do some research and buy some good quality equipment. if you just want to listen to the radio, then you may not care.

i started with a good head unit that did all the functions that i wanted at the time. it wasn't super high end, but it did a lot...cd, cd changer control, 2 aux inputs, 2 video inputs, a separate output so the rear could listen to something else, 5v preouts, etc. at the same time, i upgraded to 6.5 coax in the front and 6x9 in the back. i didn't want subs at the time, so that's why i went with the 6x9's.

i wasn't upgrading from bose, but it was a huge upgrade from the stock system. then, a couple of months later, i was able to get an amp.

the difference was night and day.

my HU was rated at 50 watts per channel. and although you'll usually never see anything close to that, i swear it was loud. the amp i put in was underrated at only 40 watts per channel but it sounded even better.

when getting a HU, don't get anything less than 4v preout. i, personally, wouldn't go less than 5v. high end units go 8v.

if you go cheap, chances are, you'll want to upgrade as soon as you hear a good system. so there's no point in buying something cheap for now. save up and buy something good. you'd be amazed at the deals you can get on equipment if you don't mind buying used. ebay and craigslist always have great deals.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:32 PM

Thanks for your advice "Benstoked"

can i buy the new head unit and instal it with the 'OEA-4' adapter and run it to my bose speakers as a quick fix???

the guys at Crutchfeild said it'd be fine and i don't wanna buy new speakers right now unless the bose speakers will sound ****y with my new deck.

any past experiences or advice would be helpfull.

REMEMBER i dont want new speakers unless i have to replace the bose.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Thanks for your advice "Benstoked"

can i buy the new head unit and instal it with the 'OEA-4' adapter and run it to my bose speakers as a quick fix???

the guys at Crutchfeild said it'd be fine and i don't wanna buy new speakers right now unless the bose speakers will sound ****y with my new deck.

any past experiences or advice would be helpfull.

REMEMBER i dont want new speakers unless i have to replace the bose.
if the speakers and their amps work, yeah it'll work.
as for the ****y sound, the speakers are stock 14yo speakers. some good aftermarket speakers will sound better.
go ahead and try.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:58 PM

BENSTOCKED. i cant fabricate my own speaker panels. The oem-4 adapter is free with a purchase of a deck 140$ or more. i just whana know if my bose speakers will still sound decent and be compatible with an aftermarket head unit. for example this one....

http://www.crutchfieldcanada.com/Ken.../113mp438u.htm

Old 03-13-2008, 03:09 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

BENSTOCKED. i cant fabricate my own speaker panels. The oem-4 adapter is free with a purchase of a deck 140$ or more. i just whana know if my bose speakers will still sound decent and be compatible with an aftermarket head unit. for example this one....

http://www.crutchfieldcanada.com/Ken.../113mp438u.htm

Bose speakers are 1 ohm...Almost all aftermarket HU's are 4 ohm=no they will not be compatible for long,( i.e. the hu will ruin the speakers, or vice versa )
Old 03-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Bose speakers are 1 ohm...Almost all aftermarket HU's are 4 ohm=no they will not be compatible for long,( i.e. the hu will ruin the speakers, or vice versa )
thats what the "oem-4 adapter" is supposed to be for. to convert to pre-bose-amp signal.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:17 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

thats what the "oem-4 adapter" is supposed to be for. to convert to pre-bose-amp signal.
Heh..i just keep screwing up in this thread. Didn't see the adapter part.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:37 PM

SO "benstoked" you are saying the new after market deck will work fine with the old bose speakers??

thanks

Quick Reply: Took the Bose speakers out..BAD MOVE