3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Took the Bose speakers out..BAD MOVE

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by sams
SO "benstoked" you are saying the new after market deck will work fine with the old bose speakers??

thanks
with the oem-4 thing, it should.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:43 PM
mod or sell?

IIRC you need to adjust the levels on that adapter, just a heads up. your speakers sounding ok / surviving will depend on how well it is adjusted.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:03 PM

thanks for the heads up. my maxima is well perserved only one owner and itwas my grandpa..... the only thing the speakers were used for was a bit of AM/FM news radio....so the original Bose speakers are mint. are you basicaly saying i should make sure the levels are low on the OEM-4 adapter to make the speakers last?

thanks for all the info
Old 03-13-2008, 08:07 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

thanks for the heads up. my maxima is well perserved only one owner and itwas my grandpa..... the only thing the speakers were used for was a bit of AM/FM news radio....so the original Bose speakers are mint. are you basicaly saying i should make sure the levels are low on the OEM-4 adapter to make the speakers last?

thanks for all the info
at first, for sure.then you will adjuust to a higher setting. it should have instructions with it on how to configure it.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:50 PM

http://www.crutchfieldcanada.com/Son.../158gt410u.htm

has anyone succesfully hooked up a 160gb hard drive or more to these USB.. auxilry head units. thanks any stories or first hand exerience would be helpfull.

Ive heard theres alot of compatibility isues with external hard drives...???
eg they must be formated to the Fat32 file system and some head units do not provide enough power to spin the actual harddrive disks....

Thanks
Old 03-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

http://www.crutchfieldcanada.com/Son.../158gt410u.htm

has anyone succesfully hooked up a 160gb hard drive or more to these USB.. auxilry head units. thanks any stories or first hand exerience would be helpfull.

Ive heard theres alot of compatibility isues with external hard drives...???
eg they must be formated to the Fat32 file system and some head units do not provide enough power to spin the actual harddrive disks....

Thanks
as far as i know they will not work with ntfs, period(its technically microsoft proprietary file system) or linux/unix partitions, so fat32 is standard compatibility. if the drive won't spin up using the HU, try an external powered usb hub. you should be able to get a car powered "universal cd player" power supply to work with one, if the hub has a standard co-ax power connector.

a 160 gb may be too big for fat32. you may consider a couple of 40s. (either way, 160 or even 40gb is alotta music to try to navigate thru, especially if you want to hear "that one song", at some point.)
Old 03-14-2008, 05:33 PM

whats the easiest most affordable way to have that amount of music hooked through a deck? (100gigs) im a Dj and i could easily fill a 160 gig harddrive. I dont want to use an i pod and id rather not burn 1000 mp3 cd's. any tips??
Old 03-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

whats the easiest most affordable way to have that amount of music hooked through a deck? (100gigs) im a Dj and i could easily fill a 160 gig harddrive. I dont want to use an i pod and id rather not burn 1000 mp3 cd's. any tips??
you forgot to add having 100+ jump drives is a pain.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:18 PM

hhaha ok well i guess this isnt gona work out for a cheap *** like myself.. ill probly just buy some used ipod or sumthin.

if nobody knows any alternatives of fittin 100gigs of music to a deck without putin in a computer in my car.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:34 PM

Here's a tip, get over your aversion to iPods. They work. They work well. They always work. If you want the largest storage your stuck with the 6th gen iPod Classic 160 and using iTunes (yech!). If you get a gen 5 or 5.5 80Gb Classic you can use several different programs to load music on it.

As far as using raw hds goes, if your hU requires FAT32 then beware that Windows 2K or XP will only format drives upto 32GB as Fat32. They will happily USE drives that are bigger, but they will not format them. You have to build a WIN98 DOS boot disk and format larger disks using that.

Also, all 3.5" disks will draw too much power to be powered off a USB port. However, 2.5" notebook HDs CAN be powered of standard USB ports. Prices are coming down (I just bought a 120GB for $50 new, had a case I bought for $10). Currently available sizes go to 320GB and 500Gb drives have been announced as "available Q2".
Old 03-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

I wonder how the hu would respond to a mult partition hd... it would help out organization, tho. this (genre/artist/etc.) goes on this part., this kind goes on this one, etc.

as for ipods, I personally don't want one, cause thats money i can put to something i can use. I personally dont need a personal mp3 player(or whatever media you use) I don't even remember where my portable CD player is , because i have one at work, on my pc, and in my car.(that, and iToons is the WORST piece of "legitimate" software for windows.)

however, if i had a HU that had the ability, I would have a pretty good chance of getting one, sooner.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by shoult
Here's a tip, get over your aversion to iPods. They work. They work well. They always work. If you want the largest storage your stuck with the 6th gen iPod Classic 160 and using iTunes (yech!). If you get a gen 5 or 5.5 80Gb Classic you can use several different programs to load music on it.

As far as using raw hds goes, if your hU requires FAT32 then beware that Windows 2K or XP will only format drives upto 32GB as Fat32. They will happily USE drives that are bigger, but they will not format them. You have to build a WIN98 DOS boot disk and format larger disks using that.

Also, all 3.5" disks will draw too much power to be powered off a USB port. However, 2.5" notebook HDs CAN be powered of standard USB ports. Prices are coming down (I just bought a 120GB for $50 new, had a case I bought for $10). Currently available sizes go to 320GB and 500Gb drives have been announced as "available Q2".

so aare you saying on the newer/newest aftermarket head units the 2.5" hard drives should work with out being formatted?? has anyone or is anyone here using a hard drive to there deck... it's seems like the smartest thing to do by far.....

thanks
Old 03-15-2008, 08:15 PM

I have a few more questions.. I was looking at a PUNCH sub 15" for under 200$. Is the 1994 maxima too small an enclosure for a 15" sub..

can someone tell me what a good sub and amp would be for just some nice bass.... nuthin fancy or expensive... thanks

what about this ...http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/cate...9;&menuLevel=1

Last edited by sams; 03-15-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

I have a few more questions.. I was looking at a PUNCH sub 15" for under 200$. Is the 1994 maxima too small an enclosure for a 15" sub..

can someone tell me what a good sub and amp would be for just some nice bass.... nuthin fancy or expensive... thanks

what about this ...http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/cate...9;&menuLevel=1
sure, you could fit a 15" and box in there. heck, you could put a pair of 18"s in the trunk with amps.
the 15" shouldnt take up too much space in the trunk. I would recommend checking and comparing the box to where in the trunk you want it. also consider amp location(so obvous its sometimes overlooked). if you get a sub where the cone would be exposed, consider a grille to cover it in the event that the junk in your trunk(hehe!) slides into it. the last thing you want is to pop a hole in the woofer.
the link shows a 10". is that okay? sure, looks good. however, i am not familiar with the brand.
(as a side note, I would kinda recommend replacing the stock speakers, first. once you have a good hu, and speakers, you can compliment them better with a good sub and amp. I recommend this only, and you can do with it as you please.)

something that may help is the budget you have to work with (even if its $cad)
Old 03-15-2008, 09:48 PM

ya my budget for (sub and amp) i was thinking 300 $ CAD total. ive seen some amps thatl do the job for around 150.... keep in mind i can get anything that best buy sells in the states and so on. i just want a sub and amp that'll be nice.

we have all the big stores in canada too. wall mart .best buy .

Keep in mind i am a do-it-yourself kinda guy. so i wouldn't mind installing it and so on..
Old 03-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

what about the head unit? have you decided on a model/price range on it?
Old 03-16-2008, 10:36 AM

200 max for the H/U. maybe 300 if it's worth it
Old 03-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

man, crutchifeldcanada.com's shopping cart sucks! cant hold onto my "list" for ****!

anyway, to let others voice thoughts here's a list, using a $600 budget:

Kenwood KDC-MP438U, $170
Infinity reference 1050w $90
Q-Logic QLH-10S65 Sub box $55
Sony XM-1252GTR Amp $180
Sub Install kit $60
various connectors ,adapters, wire, etc. $50-75

total:$630(?)
kinda exceeds the budget a little, and borrows from the hu budget, but you could modify some selections(such as amp and sub) and have a pretty good system. some pieces can be picked up locally (sub install kit can be picked up for a little less, maybe. when i went "shopping," just now, the selected HU did not have the oem-4 thing for free... ... just include that in the various price along with a roll of (maybe) 25' of speaker wire. or do like i did, buy a 12' extension cord, cut it down, and double it up(for amp to speaker connection) the cord was $3 at wal-mart, and 16g. my amp is only 150w so its a little safer for only one 16g run(under 2ft.)

but some other people should chime in, and offer alternatives.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:13 PM

my advice would be to audition as many HU's and speakers as you can. some of the newer HU's have hard drives built in that you can rip mp3's to. of course, they cost more than your budget.

i'd spend a lot on a HU...then upgrade the speakers...then add an amp for the speakers...then an amp and subs.

this way you actually know what you've done and can take note of what needs improvement. once you've amped your speakers you may find that you don't even need a sub. a lot of people run a big midbass that eliminates the need for a sub.

and unless you really want some chest pounding bass, i don't think you need a 15" sub. you'd be amazed at what a set of 8" or 10" can do. remember that it's all in the installation. you can spend $3000 on a complete system and it can sound terrible. otoh, you can spend a couple hundred and make it sound great. remember, there are some internet brands that sound great, but don't have the money to advertise like JL and all the bigger companies. they rely strictly on word of mouth advertising. do some more research in audio forums and read some reviews.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:04 AM

does anyone know a good head unit that has USB out.. in the back of the unit and not the front. My ideal head unit would have an Auxilary out and a usb out in the BACK of the deck and not the front..... what the cheapest quality deck i can do this with .. ive seen decks that will let me connect an i pod through the back but i just want to connect a usb cord... so i can connect all sorts of portable music devices... thanks
Old 03-17-2008, 11:19 AM

ARRRGHHHH! :

Last edited by shoult; 03-17-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:25 PM

HELP i need some PRO advice ... should i buy this setup it looks good... also is it worth 250 or should i pay less.

1 what should i look out for when buying these
2 what are common things that go bad?

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/ele/604488203.html
Old 03-18-2008, 03:20 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

jump now. great deal for a good amp/sub. id say do it.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hard drive

I have a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X591 and I use a laptop 2.5" 30GB HD in a USB enclosure. Yes you do have to format it in FAT32. Also since we're using FAT32 remember that one of it's limitations is that the max any partition can be is 32GB in XP. So you'll need a utility like this one:
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...at32format.htm to format larger than 32. One limitation with this unit is that the folders can hold a max of 1000 files, it just won't read anymore than that. The USB connection puts out .5A/500mA, so make sure the hard drive you choose isn't rated above that or it won't spin up. It takes awhile to spin up the hard drive the more data you put on it. Mine takes about 2 mins to pick up where it left off. Also if it is cold outside, it doesn't spin up until the connection has warmed up some. I hope this helps.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by gmdupras
It takes awhile to spin up the hard drive the more data you put on it. Mine takes about 2 mins to pick up where it left off. Also if it is cold outside, it doesn't spin up until the connection has warmed up some. I hope this helps.
you may wanna check you hard drive... or perhaps its the HU you use? a hd will spin up the same no matter how many files it has. what you typed almost sounds like the drive is gummed up(if that were possible) from having too many files.
however, I think what is happening for you is that every time you try to continue a song(usually at start-up or when you turn the radio back on), the head unit finds out what songs are on the drive. while its doing that, you are stuck waiting.
do not be discouraged, sams, this may not be an issue with other units. just research your choices, check out car audio forums, for each hu, and what-not.(and find out how they work with multiple partition hard drives!)
Old 03-18-2008, 03:55 PM

1 is this a good deal ?? http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/ele/609735888.html

2 should i offer 125$ and what amp should i buy .. considering i will only need to power this sub? http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/ele/609735888.html
Old 03-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

if you have it, go with the alpine/clarion setup in your first CL link
(my 2 cents)
Old 03-18-2008, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by sxwk12
Ever since I installed my Sony MP3 player, my subs haven't played at all. Thought maybe my friend, who works at Best Buy in the installation dept., made a wiring error hooking it up. Checked the wiring and everything was fine. Took it back to him and he said it's because the Bose speakers. They always cause a lot of problems in the Maxima's. After kinda arguing with him about why they worked before he installed the MP3 player, I asked for his suggestion. WRONG MOVE !!!! He said that he recommends that I change out the Bose speakers for something else. And since I had Sony deck and Sony amp, he suggested Sony 6x9 and Sony 5 1/4. Okay fine, I went with the 6x9's ($94.00 plus tax, warranty, and install total about $140.00) for now and will get the 5 1/4 later (same price). Now I regret it !! These 6x9's do not sound as good as the Bose. They do not produce enough bass like the Bose did. With the Bose, it sounded as if they were subs. I know the Bose has it's own amp and maybe that's why I don't like the Sony 6x9's. But right now, my car sounds like ish. OH AND GET THIS !!! The problem with the subs...there is something wrong with the Sony amp !!!! I didn't even have to get the Bose speakers changed out !! DAMN !!!!!!! If any of you are deciding to change out your Bose speakers, take it from me, you DON'T want to do it, unless they are blown.

Now I am stuck with only 2 6x9 in my ride with out subs or front speakers. ARGHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!

SORRY SO LONG !!

One thing....You got Sony BIG mistake right there(they make some of the worst speakers). Secondly from working as an installer at Best Buy and Circuit City...most cars (not all) with bose systems have to be rewired to make the bose speakers work with aftermarket radios...i had the bose speakers in my car and switched them to Boston Acoustics...imo it was a big improvement over the bose system.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:46 PM

holy 6 year old thread batman
Old 03-18-2008, 10:58 PM

OK there.... so im lookin into buyin a dvd head unit. ive seen alpine for around 800. BBUT i wanted to get your advice or experience On the no name brands. i see a dvd player brand called "DUAL" is this a decent deck.. i dont realy want to know what youve heard. i only want to know if youve treid this or know somthing about weather any of the less known name brands are good.

AKA i want a cheap dvd deack whats the best one out there for low cost??

what about this unit
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...XDVD8265.html#

Last edited by sams; 03-19-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:23 PM

If i wanted to install 6x9 speakers into the rear, would i have to remove the old exisisting bose amp in order to function the new speakers properly? or can i run the speakers with the bose amp? thanks
Old 03-20-2008, 11:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

bose amps

No u have to remove them or bypass the bose amps, at least thats wat i had to do unless somebody else knows of a way to use them...?

currently running
clarion 2din touch screen maxdvdII
clarion equalizer
clarion 480w(rms) 4 chan amp
5 1/4 diamond components (silk tweeter)
6 1/2 diamond components (silk tweeter) rear
2-12 inch mtx subs running on 450w amp
Old 03-21-2008, 12:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have just finished replacing freaking bose components with normal ones on my new old 1990 GXE. I don't really remember what brand of speakers I've got because I was choosing not by brand but rather by frequecy response and power handling. 4" in front in the existing bose enclosures and 6x9 at the back. HU is JVC KD-AVX33. Plays mp3, wma, dvd, divx from cd,dvd,usb. Has built in 3.5" screen. Built in bluetooth - I just love it. I also have installed a rearview camera connected to the same HU. Now I am making a custom box for subs. After this I will install a center speaker for full 5+1 sound. But even without them this setup sounds perfect. Especially when you put a music video with 5 channel audio. It makes me drive slow because I want to just drive and listen...

PS. I got this car 2 month ago for $500 (five hundred). The audio setup so far sums up to about $600. Kinda funny.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:49 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by HahitsKen
If i wanted to install 6x9 speakers into the rear, would i have to remove the old exisisting bose amp in order to function the new speakers properly? or can i run the speakers with the bose amp? thanks
there is an adapter you can get, but you'd be better off replacing the speakers entirely.