3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

WOOHOOO!!!! A NEW electrical problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:26 AM

WOOHOOO!!!! A NEW electrical problem!!!

Came in to work this morning, parked and locked my doors as usual (pressed the button on the door) and walked into the building. I went out for lunch, parked and pressed the lock button. The doors locked and then immediately unlocked. Pressed the button again, same result. I tried to push the lock it self down, and again, lock... unlock. If I sit in the car with the doors closed and press the button the doors lock and stay locked. Open the door, press the button and bingo, lock..unlock.

Of course the unlock results in all the doors being unlocked. To get all the doors locked I have to manually lock both back doors and then lock each front door by carefully inserting the key in each door and locking it once.

Clues, besides dynamite?

BTW, the car starts normally so I don't believe it has to do with the security lock out.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:35 AM

mine has done this randomly also. no i dea of waht is causing it. could it be a relay going bad. it is only supposed to do this if the keys are left in the ignition right. so maybe a connection is corroded in the switch. i just dont know. mine doesnt do it all the time. just on accation.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've had that happen, went away on its own.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:19 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Door lock timer folks, solder the bad connections, or replace with a known good unit.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:41 AM

try to lock the doors using the button on the drivers door while it is open and then when you close the door keep the handle held up it should work to keep the doors locked
Old 03-20-2008, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Greeny
Door lock timer folks, solder the bad connections, or replace with a known good unit.
I knew about it causing the door locking to fail. I didn't know it also caused HYPERLocking(tm). Add another project to the barby Mate!

Thanks
Old 03-20-2008, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by shoult
...Thanks
On 40's Jeep this used to be failsafe. Has to be - in a war ... no doors.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=552578
Old 03-20-2008, 01:08 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by shoult
I knew about it causing the door locking to fail. I didn't know it also caused HYPERLocking(tm). Add another project to the barby Mate!

Thanks
Mine have done both(the weird locking/unlocking thing) and totally quit, soldering the bad connections on the door lock timer solved both issues.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:06 PM

I had this exact same problem, and i hated it while it was around. It was not my door lock timer as i replaced it with two known good ones and soldered mine back to working order, but in the end it was the master switch. I just swapped in the one from my parts car and never had the problem again, and this was about 6 months ago, it also solved my auto up/down stopping intermittantly.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by 92gxe/cg2
I had this exact same problem, and i hated it while it was around. It was not my door lock timer as i replaced it with two known good ones and soldered mine back to working order, but in the end it was the master switch. I just swapped in the one from my parts car and never had the problem again, and this was about 6 months ago, it also solved my auto up/down stopping intermittantly.
That makes sense, because I had repaired my door lock timer well before this was happening, and it seemed to just go away on its own without any other door lock issues.

I too had some problems with the window auto-down, and ended up merging several switches from different cars. Now all the buttons have fresh-looking writing on them.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:43 PM

If when you pull the key out of the ignition you don't turn the whole assembly to OFF the doors will do this also. Very simple and may not be your problem but mine has been doing it recently.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:34 AM
mod or sell?

on mine it was the one bad solder point that caused it.
after that they un/locked fine but didn't have the all door unlock from the key anymore.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Greeny
Mine have done both(the weird locking/unlocking thing) and totally quit, soldering the bad connections on the door lock timer solved both issues.
thanx Greeny.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Way out West

My door lock timer or the master switch needs a bit of TLC, I just haven't bothered fixing it. Every so often, the power locks won't work. If I open it from the passenger side, it sets off the alarm.

The car has a function where it will try to help keep you from locking yourself out of the car. It sounds like the OP has some problem with this function, probably related to the timer.