3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Auto downshift questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 06:03 PM
Chas93GXE

Auto downshift questions...

Hey all, I've got a problem with my trany. Like you didn't know that from the title...

The problem is this, I just got my '93 back from the shop where I had new injectors, timing belt and water pump installed. They also checked out a few electrical items for me which were not tranny related. Since I got it back, it will NOT downshift and it doesn't feel like the power/comfort mode is working, although the 'P' indicator light works. It worked/shifted great when I dropped it off but since I got it back, no downshifting. Fluid level is good and condition is primo. I just picked up the Chilton's for it, but could not find out exactly what actuates the downshifting mechanism. I think the guy disconnected a sensor/actuator or something but I was unable to find anything amiss in the engine compartment.

Can anyone direct me to the area to check out first? I'd rather do it myself than take it back to the mechanic 'cause I'm tearing my other car apart this week and need the Max for transportation.

I did a search but there ain't no way I can read through 80 pages while I'm at work.

Thanks, any suggestions are welcome.

Chas

Old 03-18-2002, 06:56 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Auto downshift questions...

hmmmm...all I can think of is check the throttle valve and cables. did you take it back to the shop and let them test drive it??

Originally posted by Chas93GXE
Hey all, I've got a problem with my trany. Like you didn't know that from the title...

The problem is this, I just got my '93 back from the shop where I had new injectors, timing belt and water pump installed. They also checked out a few electrical items for me which were not tranny related. Since I got it back, it will NOT downshift and it doesn't feel like the power/comfort mode is working, although the 'P' indicator light works. It worked/shifted great when I dropped it off but since I got it back, no downshifting. Fluid level is good and condition is primo. I just picked up the Chilton's for it, but could not find out exactly what actuates the downshifting mechanism. I think the guy disconnected a sensor/actuator or something but I was unable to find anything amiss in the engine compartment.

Can anyone direct me to the area to check out first? I'd rather do it myself than take it back to the mechanic 'cause I'm tearing my other car apart this week and need the Max for transportation.

I did a search but there ain't no way I can read through 80 pages while I'm at work.

Thanks, any suggestions are welcome.

Chas
Old 03-18-2002, 07:20 PM
Chas93GXE

Nope, though they supposedly test drove it. I picked it up on Thursday and I've been layed up since then. I'd rather not take it back if it's something simple. I did snug up one of the throttle cables today, no change. I'll start checking under the dash and at the tranny looking for loose connections.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-19-2002, 03:24 PM
Chas93GXE

Got it nailed! Did some checking under the hood today and found a connector that wasn't locked together. I pulled it apart and found the rubber O-ring out of position preventing full contact of the connections. I couldn't get the ring seated correctly so I just pulled the dang thing out and plugged it back up. Stupid mechanic didn't make sure the thing was locked together.

Fixed that and adjusted the cable connections again and it runs great.

Old 03-19-2002, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by Chas93GXE
Got it nailed! Did some checking under the hood today and found a connector that wasn't locked together. I pulled it apart and found the rubber O-ring out of position preventing full contact of the connections. I couldn't get the ring seated correctly so I just pulled the dang thing out and plugged it back up. Stupid mechanic didn't make sure the thing was locked together.

Fixed that and adjusted the cable connections again and it runs great.

great job, and yay