3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

First 100 mile impressions of ACT clutch, AASCO Flywheel, and Pacesetter STS....

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 09:54 PM

First 100 mile impressions of ACT clutch, AASCO Flywheel, and Pacesetter STS....

in quick summary. Clutch grabs like no other, chatters just a bit sometimes but hardly ever. Flywheel isn't really noticable except for trying to take off, but when you punch it you do notice the free power in the butt dyno. Probably good for .2 to .3 seconds off the ET. STS --- Short as hell throws stiff, and notcy. But i like it !!

i'll have more impressions when i actually break the clutch in and can get on it more. I've gotten on it abit, let a little blip out of the shift to second a couple times.

Oh yeah also "tried" to race an M3. Was worried about my clutch so i feathered the launch and did a slow no gas giving shift to second.
Hung with him for about 3 seconds then watched the eyes in my friends head go from normal to the size of watermelons as he pulled away from me like i was standing still.

He had a exhaust and a badge on the driver side that said Denali or Denani
something like that
was a nice car though.
Old 03-20-2002, 10:21 PM

Re: First 100 mile impressions of ACT clutch, AASCO Flywheel, and Pacesetter STS....

Originally posted by Sith
in quick summary. Clutch grabs like no other, chatters just a bit sometimes but hardly ever. Flywheel isn't really noticable except for trying to take off, but when you punch it you do notice the free power in the butt dyno. Probably good for .2 to .3 seconds off the ET. STS --- Short as hell throws stiff, and notcy. But i like it !!

i'll have more impressions when i actually break the clutch in and can get on it more. I've gotten on it abit, let a little blip out of the shift to second a couple times.

Oh yeah also "tried" to race an M3. Was worried about my clutch so i feathered the launch and did a slow no gas giving shift to second.
Hung with him for about 3 seconds then watched the eyes in my friends head go from normal to the size of watermelons as he pulled away from me like i was standing still.

something like that
was a nice car though.
Dianin

yeah, if they have that badge..be scared
Old 03-20-2002, 10:22 PM

Re: First 100 mile impressions of ACT clutch, AASCO Flywheel, and Pacesetter STS....

Originally posted by Sith

something like that
was a nice car though.
Remember 500 mile break in period. Stop picking on those slow Dinan M3's
Old 03-20-2002, 10:24 PM
STFU n00b!

Don't you mean Dinan?

(they make SCs and other really cool toys) for Bimmers...

be gentle with the clutch for about 5-600 miles.. it will take 2-3-4000 miles for it to really get friendly.. after that, you'll love it. I promise.
Old 03-20-2002, 10:26 PM

Re: Re: First 100 mile impressions of ACT clutch, AASCO Flywheel, and Pacesetter STS....

Originally posted by JDwyer2821
Remember 500 mile break in period. Stop picking on those slow Dinan M3's
I`ve always been a "Break It In Like You Drive It" kinda guy.
Alot of race engine builders will tell you the same thing.
Why get it used to one thing and then when its broken in , treat it another way. Doesnt make sense.
My ex wife used to tell me that too
Old 03-20-2002, 10:39 PM
STFU n00b!

Re: Re: Re: First 100 mile impressions of ACT clutch, AASCO Flywheel, and Pacesetter STS....

Originally posted by bucketheadd

I`ve always been a "Break It In Like You Drive It" kinda guy.
Alot of race engine builders will tell you the same thing.
Why get it used to one thing and then when its broken in , treat it another way. Doesnt make sense.
My ex wife used to tell me that too
because if you throw in a piece of metal that's never been heated (other than when it was cast at the factory), and drive hte bejeezus out of it the second you install it, then it will warp and crack and be ruined in a matter of minutes.

Next time you buy brake rotors, install them, then take them out on the highway and get up to about 120 and stomp the brakes. do that several times, then drive home and see if they still meet runout specs after they cool off. I'll bet you my lunch money they're warped to hell.

it's the exact same thing with a clutch. you've got a friction disc spinning against metal to make the car go (instead of stop).
Old 03-20-2002, 11:02 PM

Maybe not the second you put them on, but I dont go for that 500 mile under 55 stuff.
I`ve never did it that way and I havent seen any undo wear and tear because of it on my vehicles at all.
Just my opinion
Old 03-20-2002, 11:04 PM

And if you go "***** OUT" all the time anyway, you`ll see alot of undo wear and tear.
Old 03-20-2002, 11:05 PM

how much did you pay for your fly wheel and ACT clutch
Old 03-21-2002, 12:01 AM
STFU n00b!

Originally posted by bucketheadd
Maybe not the second you put them on, but I dont go for that 500 mile under 55 stuff.
I`ve never did it that way and I havent seen any undo wear and tear because of it on my vehicles at all.
Just my opinion
there's a difference in being easy on the break-in and keeping it under 55...
you can ruin them just as quickly driving under 30mph if you drive hard in city traffic.. you can also be very easy on them at 100mph.

but believe me.. I've ruined enough brake rotors to know.. if you don't follow the break-in period on your rotors, they won't last long. they'll either warp or crack or both very quickly.
Old 03-21-2002, 06:51 AM

352 for ACT clutch through Nippon Power
and 445 for the Flywheel through Maxximum Tuning.

Yeah i was ****ed at myself after i did it. I didn't go ***** out though just a little aggresive. But how many chances are you gunna get to play with an M3 in Idaho?