3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Has this this ever happen to anyone....

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2000, 02:42 PM

A while back my automatic door locks kept going up and down intermittently, then it stopped for a few months. But lately the locks have acted up again. I don't know if its due to the cold weather we've had lately in Iowa but the door locks would go up and down the whole time I drive. Even when the car has warmed up. Has this happen to anyone and how did you solve it? BTW I have an aftermarket alarm system that controls the door locks so could this be an alarm problem also?
Old 11-22-2000, 02:54 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Keyless entry? The door locks operate on a negative circuit so there is probably a short somewhere in the driver's door as this door operates all other doors. If the short was in another door, only that door would lock/ unlock. Perhaps you need to call a Priest?
Old 11-22-2000, 02:56 PM
DDD

The similar problem

Hi SeaMax,
I experience the similar problem but in the very hot days. My alarm/remotr lock is an aftermarket one, too.
They same the reason is bad or vibrating contacts at the driver door electrical lock. As I can guess this lock in your car is aftermarket, too. The OEM Max comes without electric lock on the driver door.
The fix is easy - maybe it's enough to replace the contact device ($20 or about).
Good luck,
DDD

Old 11-22-2000, 03:13 PM

I not wuite sure....

I'm not quite sure what your telling me. So do I open my driver's side door panel and look for a loose or bad door contact (wire) and replace or rewire? Sorry I not too keen with electrical stuff so can you be more specific. Thanks. Also why would this cost me $20?

Old 11-22-2000, 03:48 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Yes, all Max's have electronic lock actuators! They work off a negative circuit. I've got the complete wiring color shematics for everything having to do with an aftermarket alarm from windows, moonroof, locks, horn, lights, ign. kill, tach, etc! Look in the driver's kick panel and driver's door. This is probably where the short is. If the wire looks fine in the kick panel and out to the door, take off the door panel and look for where the lock/ unlock wires were tapped into. The oem wire colors will be Lock: gray/red with silver dots and UnLock: light blue with silver dots. I wouldn't think that it was a problem with your aftermarket alarm, as if it was wired properly, should be off when the key is in the ACC or on position. If the short was in any other door, it would only lock/ unlock that door. I can only lock all 4 doors at the driver's panel. But, to narrow it down, unplug the aftermarket alarm and drive for a couple of days to see if it happens, I'd even try that first and then to be on the safe side check for shorts.
Old 11-22-2000, 04:15 PM

Thanks alot Chris..I will do that. n/m

Originally posted by Chris Gregg
Yes, all Max's have electronic lock actuators! They work off a negative circuit. I've got the complete wiring color shematics for everything having to do with an aftermarket alarm from windows, moonroof, locks, horn, lights, ign. kill, tach, etc! Look in the driver's kick panel and driver's door. This is probably where the short is. If the wire looks fine in the kick panel and out to the door, take off the door panel and look for where the lock/ unlock wires were tapped into. The oem wire colors will be Lock: gray/red with silver dots and UnLock: light blue with silver dots. I wouldn't think that it was a problem with your aftermarket alarm, as if it was wired properly, should be off when the key is in the ACC or on position. If the short was in any other door, it would only lock/ unlock that door. I can only lock all 4 doors at the driver's panel. But, to narrow it down, unplug the aftermarket alarm and drive for a couple of days to see if it happens, I'd even try that first and then to be on the safe side check for shorts.
Old 11-23-2000, 08:50 PM

where'd you get the sidemarkers?
Old 11-23-2000, 08:59 PM

sidemarkers...

I got it at a local import parts store and they installed it for $20.