3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Little Tranny improve

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 10:36 AM

Little Tranny improve

I was searching this days about the tranny recalibration by Donīs and Transgo shift kit and that stuff. What I find:
1. The Dons VB recalibration its the best but I have a 90 se with the RE4F02A tranny and the dons Vb will not fit.
2.The Transgo shift kit will improve the shift time and will make your tranny last longer but not as the Donīs stuff.
3.unplugging the drop resistor will make my tranny shift hard but will kill my tranny if I do it often.

So what I decided its:
1.Buy the transgo stuff and put it in my car.
2.Put I big tranny cooler to my car.
3.Put sythectic tranny fluid to my car.
4.If I will have a race Unplugg the resistor.
5.Mabe put a switch to the resistor to unplugg it from inside the car.

What do you think ? any opinion?

BTW. I will not do the Level ten VB recalibration because its too expensive.
Old 04-12-2002, 10:43 AM

Re: Little Tranny improve

Originally posted by catman316
I was searching this days about the tranny recalibration by Donīs and Transgo shift kit and that stuff. What I find:
1. The Dons VB recalibration its the best but I have a 90 se with the RE4F02A tranny and the dons Vb will not fit.
2.The Transgo shift kit will improve the shift time and will make your tranny last longer but not as the Donīs stuff.
3.unplugging the drop resistor will make my tranny shift hard but will kill my tranny if I do it often.

So what I decided its:
1.Buy the transgo stuff and put it in my car.
2.Put I big tranny cooler to my car.
3.Put sythectic tranny fluid to my car.
4.If I will have a race Unplugg the resistor.
5.Mabe put a switch to the resistor to unplugg it from inside the car.

What do you think ? any opinion?

BTW. I will not do the Level ten VB recalibration because its too expensive.
Just a thought:

Unplugging the resistor and blowing your tranny will cost big $$$$
Old 04-12-2002, 10:59 AM

Re: Re: Little Tranny improve

Just a thought:

Unplugging the resistor and blowing your tranny will cost big $$$$ [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, Many guys here have done that and I dont see any blow tranny because that.

And as I said in the post Its only we have to race someone
Old 04-12-2002, 01:21 PM

bump
Old 04-12-2002, 01:43 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I think a few guys tried the "resistor unplug"....and the results were just a harder shift and more uncomfortable, no improved times or speed. the only way to properly and effectively improve shifting is to get the VB mod!
Old 04-12-2002, 02:10 PM

bump
I see this all the time ... what the hell does "bump" mean?
Old 04-12-2002, 03:05 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by pj93max

bump the post back to the top some people use ttt (to the top)
Old 04-12-2002, 03:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by pj93max

usually when impatient people dont like the first couple answers they get and are trying to find someone to support their side
they just add a post and it moves that thread to the top of the forum

also "TTT" is sometimes used (to the top)

catman - Da-Max and PJ know what they're talking about, you're not going to gain anything by doing this speedwise. It wont kill your tranny if you do it once or twice but it's pretty hard and certainly wont help the life of your tranny. Search the forum some more, many guys do have bad/rebuilt transmissions. The auto tranny isn't all that great to start out with unfortunately

Old 04-12-2002, 03:36 PM

why unplugging the resistor dont make better times? A valvebody upgrade make the tranny to shift hard and thats why you can cut 1/4 mile times the resistor will do the same thing but with a diferent method.
I know that unplugging the resistor will not be good for my tranny because the temp of the tranny fluid will go high, but with a tranny cooler and only doing it WHEN HAVE A LITTLE RACE will not kill my tranny. My 0.02
Old 04-13-2002, 12:32 AM

why unplugging the resistor dont make better times? A valvebody upgrade make the tranny to shift hard and thats why you can cut 1/4 mile times the resistor will do the same thing but with a diferent method.
I know that unplugging the resistor will not be good for my tranny because the temp of the tranny fluid will go high, but with a tranny cooler and only doing it WHEN HAVE A LITTLE RACE will not kill my tranny. My 0.02
#1 3rd gen maxima auto tranny sucks
#2 any normal driving over time will kill that tranny
#3 racing it will make it even worse
#4 auto tranny will die regardless b/c its horrible by design
Old 04-13-2002, 06:08 AM

WRONG! A valvebody upgrade replaces the springs in the valvebody and allows the transmission to shift more quickly, not necessarily harder. Harder does not equal more quickly. The reason an upgraded valvebody prolongs the life of an automatic transmission is because it quickens the shifts. When the shifts are quicker, the clutches in the transmission "slip" less and there is less wear and tear on the internals of the trasmission. When you disconnect the drop resistor (which I have done accidently) you change the hydraulic line pressure of the transmission, not the springs. When you disconnect the drop resistor, the line pressure by default seems to go to the maximum pressure. Basically it produces a jerking motion that just puts even more stress on the already weak internals of the transmission. So in review, by the Trans-go kit, get a cooler (which I have, worth every penny), and synthetic fluid. Make sure you get your transmission flushed, because you yourself can only drain about 4 quarts of the 8 quarts in the transmission. Get it flushed and they will run about 16 quarts through the transmission then fill it up, so you are guaranteed to have new fluid in there. Only cost me like $80, but make sure you have your cooler first so that they fill that up to. Oh, and just to let you know, Matt93SE used to have an auto VG and he experimented with disconnecting the drop resistor. He said when he got above 85 mph, the car would shift into 4th gear then back into 3 third then back into 4th and so on, basically self-destructing. Becareful with your $4000 transmission, it's most likely worth more than your car.
Old 04-13-2002, 07:07 AM

All you will ever want to know about your transmission:
http://www.btinternet.com/~d.brooks1/boxinfo.htm