3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Cheapest dual exhaust setup?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2002, 10:38 PM

Cheapest dual exhaust setup?

I am loving flyry's dual exhaust setup, but according to one of his posts, he used 2 mufflers for his. I'm looking not to upgrade the performance, but the looks of my max, so what options do I have to get a dual exhaust setup? I'm not going for a TRUE setup, just one for looks and (hopefully) one that won't give me that overly ricey sound.

I had a few ideas, so let me know what you guys / gals think and any other options I might have overlooked. I'm trying to stay with my stock muffler since there are no problems with it whatsoever, but again, I'm trying for just the looks. My first thought was to buy a DynoMax muffler from jegs.com (http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...314&prmenbr=76) that some members on the board recommended in other threads, but there were issues about not enough clearance on the driver's side to support it. Another muffler I could also try, again from a previous post, is the Tanabe style one (http://www.speedpeople.com/cart/deta...manceParts.cfm). I believe flyry uses this one, but only he could verify that. My main issue with this solution was the unbalanced (I'm assuming) sound this would produce, since I would want to keep my stock muffler. The cost of this would be decent, with the new muffler costing me $60 (after rebate) and tips for the DynoMax and the stock + the cost of the installation.

My second choice was to extend a pipe from the stock muffler to the driver's side and again run a tip on each side. I'm uncertain of any issues this may have or even if it's possible nor am I familiar with the costs they would entail.

I'm not in a complete rush to get this done, but if the cost is low and the possible results are decent, I'll definitely try to get it done as soon as I can. Give me your thoughts and any other ideas you may come up with.
Old 04-14-2002, 10:44 PM

You could always stick a single in dual out in place of the resonator and run tipped pipes out the back
Old 04-14-2002, 11:05 PM

I'm confused!

if you're not goin for the TRUE setup, then what are you tryin to do? Just place a muffler on the drivers side with no connection to the exhaust whatsoever?
Old 04-14-2002, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by PATRICK94SE
You could always stick a single in dual out in place of the resonator and run tipped pipes out the back
Could you be a little more detailed? I apologize if this is obvious to some of you, but I am still a complete n00b in terms of modding the Max, especially the exhaust system.
Old 04-14-2002, 11:12 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

WOW...some one get me some Cliff Notes!!!

a TRUE setup means the pipes come seperately off each manifold. unless I didn't read right, Flyrys ISN'T true, its a split after the Y or cat....

anyways I think he wants to do the same thing Flyry did, but he wants to use the stock muffler and another type of muffler on the dirver side...I'm still a little confused though. I don't think "duals" and "cheap" go together! if anything at leasr get two of the same mufflers, the stock one will look corny as hell!
Old 04-14-2002, 11:12 PM

In your stock set up there is a "pre muffler" (if you look under your car there will be a fat part in the exaust piping. You could replace that with a single inlet/dual outlet muffler. connect each outlet to a section of exaust pipe then run each pipe to the rear of the car you could then place exaust tips on each pipe. THIS WILL DO NOTHING FOR PREFORMANCE but it will look cool
Old 04-14-2002, 11:13 PM

Re: I'm confused!

Originally posted by maxdout92se
if you're not goin for the TRUE setup, then what are you tryin to do? Just place a muffler on the drivers side with no connection to the exhaust whatsoever?

Written by DanNY in another thread

"true dual exhaust" - two separate pipes running from each exhaust manifold going to two cats (optional H or X pipe somewhere in the middle). two separate pipes then running to two mufflers.
That is what I meant by true. By no means am I implying I want to just throw a muffler on the driver's side and have it do nothing. I will connect have it connected where it and the stock muffler will share the exhaust.
Old 04-14-2002, 11:18 PM

well excuse me for bein inquisitive!!!
Old 04-14-2002, 11:22 PM

Cliff Notes... That's what I keep forgetting!!!

Originally posted by DA-MAX

a TRUE setup means the pipes come seperately off each manifold. unless I didn't read right, Flyrys ISN'T true, its a split after the Y or cat....

anyways I think he wants to do the same thing Flyry did, but he wants to use the stock muffler and another type of muffler on the dirver side...I'm still a little confused though. I don't think "duals" and "cheap" go together! if anything at leasr get two of the same mufflers, the stock one will look corny as hell!
Yeah, I believe flyry himself said his setup wasn't a true dual exhaust, but one for the looks, which I'm hoping to have myself. And I agree with you about duals and cheap not even suppose to be in the same sentence with each other, but people can fabricate their own MAF adapters, I'm certain this is possible .
Old 04-14-2002, 11:22 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: I'm confused!

Originally posted by NYC 92 GXEr
sweet he used the SEARCH!!! good job

...anyways do what Patrick is saying, you can even buy a small Y-splitter(Dynomax, etc.), place it "inline" with the piping near the fuel tank and run pipes to both mufflers from that...anyways your best bet is to ask Flyry, I'm sure he'd help you out!
Old 04-14-2002, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by PATRICK94SE
In your stock set up there is a "pre muffler" (if you look under your car there will be a fat part in the exaust piping. You could replace that with a single inlet/dual outlet muffler. connect each outlet to a section of exaust pipe then run each pipe to the rear of the car you could then place exaust tips on each pipe. THIS WILL DO NOTHING FOR PREFORMANCE but it will look cool
OK, if I'm getting what you're saying, I would basically replace this "pre muffler" with a new muffler with dual outlets and just run a pipe to each side of the car? Basically, I would just need one new muffler and my stock muffler would not even be used, correct? In this case, it sounds like a good solution and while I'm aware there will be no performance gains, are there any negative effects to this kind of setup? I'm sure the "pre muffler" is there for a reason.

BTW, found this at WarpSpeed's website. This a kind of muffler you talking about?

They carry it for $75, although shipping is another sotry.
Old 04-14-2002, 11:26 PM

well excuse me for bein inquisitive!!!
I was just explaining what I meant by true. No skin off anyone's back, maxd
Old 04-14-2002, 11:27 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

No. the "pre-muffler" is a small cylindrical canister about 3-4" in diameter, its also known as a resonator and a glasspack....I haven't seen anyones with dual outlets though.....

Old 04-14-2002, 11:31 PM

For those who don't believe it actually works...

sweet he used the SEARCH!!! good job

...anyways do what Patrick is saying, you can even buy a small Y-splitter(Dynomax, etc.), place it "inline" with the piping near the fuel tank and run pipes to both mufflers from that...anyways your best bet is to ask Flyry, I'm sure he'd help you out!
I've been religiously visiting the forum for the past 3 months. One of the reasons I'm still a "newbie" is cause I find 90% of my questions answered with a little searching around. Hell, I search for one thing and end up getting interested in something completely different, such as what this thread is all about

About the inline piping, it's definitely one more thing for me to consider.

Oh, before I forget...

CLIFF NOTES:
SEARCHING IS YOUR FRIEND and Da-Max has a good idea
Old 04-14-2002, 11:33 PM

No. the "pre-muffler" is a small cylindrical canister about 3-4" in diameter, its also known as a resonator and a glasspack....I haven't seen anyones with dual outlets though.....

No, I was wondering if this is what I should replace the pre-muffler with since Patrick said it should be a muffler with a single inlet/dual outlets.
Old 04-14-2002, 11:36 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: For those who don't believe it actually works...

take a look at this-->

its the bottom one:

http://www.promuffler.com/hardware.htm

I've got an old picture I drew up last year, if I find it I'll post it again.
Old 04-14-2002, 11:42 PM

i understand what ya sayin....you get the single end welded to tha y-pipe and run pipes from the dual ends to the left and right muffler.. right??
Old 04-14-2002, 11:48 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

you get the single end welded to tha y-pipe and run pipes from the dual ends to the left and right muffler.. right??
kinda, but no...there isnt enough room in the exhaust tunnel to fit more than one pipe or two VERY small pipes. what I'm saying is that you leave everything stock from the Y-pipe back until you get to the section of pipe near the rear of the fuel tank(you really have to know how the underside is setup to undertand)...anyway at this point you put the Y-splitter inline and run pipes off of it to the mufflers...when I post the diagram you'll see....give me a minute and I'll dig it up.
Old 04-14-2002, 11:56 PM

kinda, but no...there isnt enough room in the exhaust tunnel to fit more than one pipe or two VERY small pipes. what I'm saying is that you leave everything stock from the Y-pipe back until you get to the section of pipe near the rear of the fuel tank(you really have to know how the underside is setup to undertand)...anyway at this point you put the Y-splitter inline and run pipes off of it to the mufflers...when I post the diagram you'll see....give me a minute and I'll dig it up.
I have an image in my head of what you're saying and I'm sure any diagram you have will clear it up, but what is the approximate cost if I were to go this route? I'm guessing all the straight piping will cost quite a bit of $$$ along with the Y-splitter and installation costs. Also, any negative effects from this kind of setup? This is a really interesting setup and if the costs aren't too high, like I said above, it sounds like a winner.
Old 04-15-2002, 12:01 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

once agian, not sure if this will work, but back last year when I was considering dual I drew this up, never did it though.......negative effects shouldn't be very bad, but its possible to lose some low-end and the car will be MUCH louder, depending on what mufflers you use.
Old 04-15-2002, 12:34 AM

does any one have true dual on their max from the heads down
Old 04-15-2002, 01:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

No one has "true" duals AFAIK. There's a difference between "true" and "real" duals, since some people have fake duals (non-functional left muffler/tailpipe). Flyry's are "real", but not "true"

DA-MAX's diagram is basically what Flyry's setup is, though he doesn't have a Y-splitter and instead has the other exhaust pipe just "T'ed off" (welded) from the pipe that runs over the axle. If you don't have his undercar pics of his setup, email me and I'll reply with them.

I think the Warpspeed muffler (which is pretty much a regular huge muffler) would not fit too good where the resonator is right now because it would hang down and piping would have to go under the gas tank or have 2 pipes squeezed into where the stock pipes run now to get past the tank.

A 4th Gen guy used the Flowmaster transverse muffler for Camaros/Firebirds with one in, two outs on each side of the muffler. One pipe went out back normally while the other doubled back, went over the axle, and out the other side. That's one very clean solution if all you want to see is pipes and no muffler. He hung it up high enough that you couldn't see the muffler at all. Again, very clean looking.

One method I thought up was using narrow DTM-like mufflers (like the ones you see on eBay all the time) on both sides with Flyry's piping. The advantage is that these mufflers are very compact but still have the dual tip look, which I like a lot. The (big) disadvantage is also that these mufflers are very compact and straight-through, so they will be fairly loud. I like my exhaust quiet, so I was trying to figure out ways to squeeze additional/bigger resonators under there to compensate! I lost interest in this, especially since this wouldn't happen anytime soon, but it might be do-able.

The reason the mufflers have to be compact is so that it can fit on the driver's side. You can try removing the plastic vent/box under there to get more room, but then you have to move the passenger's side muffler over too to balance the look. I've seen a nice dual tipped muffler on stock WRX's that *looks* compact, but don't know for sure. If aren't obsessed with the dual tips like I am, get 2 smallish round OEM-type mufflers and it can probably fit better and still be quiet if that matters. Keep piping 2.5" or slightly under.

btw, that Tanabe muffler is what he's got and I think he may have got them at that same place... Those are as compact as mufflers get, but probably pretty loud without their (restrictive) silencers.

Whew! I think I just emptied my brain!
Old 04-15-2002, 05:17 AM

Re: Cheapest dual exhaust setup?

I am loving flyry's dual exhaust setup, but according to one of his posts, he used 2 mufflers for his. I'm looking not to upgrade the performance, but the looks of my max, so what options do I have to get a dual exhaust setup? I'm not going for a TRUE setup, just one for looks and (hopefully) one that won't give me that overly ricey sound.

I had a few ideas, so let me know what you guys / gals think and any other options I might have overlooked. I'm trying to stay with my stock muffler since there are no problems with it whatsoever, but again, I'm trying for just the looks. My first thought was to buy a DynoMax muffler from jegs.com (http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...314&prmenbr=76) that some members on the board recommended in other threads, but there were issues about not enough clearance on the driver's side to support it. Another muffler I could also try, again from a previous post, is the Tanabe style one (http://www.speedpeople.com/cart/deta...manceParts.cfm). I believe flyry uses this one, but only he could verify that. My main issue with this solution was the unbalanced (I'm assuming) sound this would produce, since I would want to keep my stock muffler. The cost of this would be decent, with the new muffler costing me $60 (after rebate) and tips for the DynoMax and the stock + the cost of the installation.

My second choice was to extend a pipe from the stock muffler to the driver's side and again run a tip on each side. I'm uncertain of any issues this may have or even if it's possible nor am I familiar with the costs they would entail.

I'm not in a complete rush to get this done, but if the cost is low and the possible results are decent, I'll definitely try to get it done as soon as I can. Give me your thoughts and any other ideas you may come up with.
hey man, sorry i didn't reply sooner. i haven't been able to get on the board. yeah, i have 2 tanabe style mufflers from speedpeople.com. my muffler guy said it would be about 250 bucks plus mufflers to do a catback with duals. just to give ya an idea on price.

Bman's idea of 2 DTMs is what i was going to do at first, before i found these mufflers at speed people. they were 100 apiece with shipping included, so i figured what the heck, but your deal is even better! i haven't seen anyone with dual DTM's yet, but if they are tucked right i bet they'd look seriously tight!

DA-max: that's about what mine looks like. . .

the sound isn't uneven at all, they even steam evenly. i was very pleased with the results, especially at the street races and local meets. the other day i was pulling through the crowd to park and i head "is that the maxima with the dual exhaust" big smile on my face. people actually hear about it lol. oh, it won't be nearly as loud if you leave the resonator in. mine are VERY loud with the silencers out, here's a pic of why. . .

http://www.pa-maximas.com/images/3inchexhaust.jpg
Old 04-15-2002, 07:21 AM

once agian, not sure if this will work, but back last year when I was considering dual I drew this up, never did it though.......negative effects shouldn't be very bad, but its possible to lose some low-end and the car will be MUCH louder, depending on what mufflers you use.
See, that's where my problem laid. I was not expecting any performance advantages, but I also don't want to lose anything in the process. Also, the sound is a major issue cause I don't want to sound way too loud going through the local streets, but a nice rumble is optimal.

OK, from the above picture, I came up with this idea. What if I were to remove the OEM muffler, replace that with a 2 outlet/1 inlet muffler but have it mounted backwards so that the outlets are facing the front of the car, have the stock piping run into one of the 2 "outlets" and extend another pipe to the driver's side with the other outlet. So basically, this design will use the 1 inlet of the new muffler as the sole outlet for the passenger side. One problem with this would be the issue of air flow, as I'm not sure if anything will reach the second outlet. Another addition could be placing the stock muffler in the space directly underneath the spare wheel well in the picture above, although how much space is really there is an issue to be addressed.
Old 04-15-2002, 08:20 AM

i replaced the resonator and the muffler with a glasspak and y'ed out a big 3 1/2' tip on each side, costed 380 for install and parts
Old 04-15-2002, 09:17 AM

See, that's where my problem laid. I was not expecting any performance advantages, but I also don't want to lose anything in the process. Also, the sound is a major issue cause I don't want to sound way too loud going through the local streets, but a nice rumble is optimal.

OK, from the above picture, I came up with this idea. What if I were to remove the OEM muffler, replace that with a 2 outlet/1 inlet muffler but have it mounted backwards so that the outlets are facing the front of the car, have the stock piping run into one of the 2 "outlets" and extend another pipe to the driver's side with the other outlet. So basically, this design will use the 1 inlet of the new muffler as the sole outlet for the passenger side. One problem with this would be the issue of air flow, as I'm not sure if anything will reach the second outlet. Another addition could be placing the stock muffler in the space directly underneath the spare wheel well in the picture above, although how much space is really there is an issue to be addressed.
you can't leave the stock muffler in it's original location. . . . mine is moved a bit so that the mufflers are even. . . also, you can't get a big muffler into that spot on the drivers side . ..
Old 04-15-2002, 09:41 AM
Large Member

Flyry, do you think you could get some sounds of your exhaust? I think everyone here would like to here how it sounds. I know I would!
Old 04-15-2002, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by Shadow1198
Flyry, do you think you could get some sounds of your exhaust? I think everyone here would like to here how it sounds. I know I would!
also, do you have any undercar pics? if you can post them or email them to me that'd be great. cloverwithnoleaf@aol.com
Old 04-15-2002, 02:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

OK, from the above picture, I came up with this idea. What if I were to remove the OEM muffler, replace that with a 2 outlet/1 inlet muffler but have it mounted backwards so that the outlets are facing the front of the car, have the stock piping run into one of the 2 "outlets" and extend another pipe to the driver's side with the other outlet. So basically, this design will use the 1 inlet of the new muffler as the sole outlet for the passenger side. One problem with this would be the issue of air flow, as I'm not sure if anything will reach the second outlet...
Dude. That is exactly the same idea as I mentioned with the 4th Gen guy in my post, except with a muffler actually designed to do that. I don't think it's a great idea to flow against what the muffler was designed to.

I think the "my posts must be invisible" curse has returned!

(except for u Flyry )
Old 04-15-2002, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by Bman

I think the "my posts must be invisible" curse has returned!

(except for u Flyry )
awwwwww i wouldn't forget you. . . .. but i guess i've forgotten my basics