3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

temperature coolant sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 05:11 PM

temperature coolant sensor

Has anyone ever had a problem with this sensor? I did a search and found some old posts but they didn't really help. This is the red and yellow connector that is beind the temperature sending unit that goes to the temp guage in the dash. It kind of under and behind the distributor. Anyways I don't think that my cooling fans are operating properly. I can't remember the last time they turned on. When I hold the connection in the fans turn on, when I release pressure they turn off. Since my temp guage doesn't really work all the time this is getting to be a problem. Was wondering if anyone has had this problem and the connections just needs to be cleaned or to be replaced. If so does anyone know how to do it, the chilton's and haynes manuals offer no procedures for this. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2002, 05:38 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

replace the sensor for cheap insurance.
if u must clean out the contacts and try plugging it back in and see.
make sure the metal retainer clip is on there.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:50 PM

Thanks for your reply. This may sound stupid but I tried to get that metal retaining pin out and was unsuccessful. Any tips? Also what is the best method and materials to clean the senor with. Thanks again.
Old 04-16-2002, 04:28 PM

On a repeated attempt I got the retaining pin out and cleaned the connection and applied some dielectric grease. Now the idle jumps and stays at 1500-2000 rpm. The fans will cut on and off as the idle rises and drops. Now I'm in a worse situation than before. Any ideas on what could make the idle so high and the fans so intermitent? Please help
Old 04-16-2002, 04:58 PM
STFU n00b!

sounds like the connector either isn't making contact at all, or they are shorting together through too much dielectric grease.

I noticed when I pulled the connector off the sensor while my car was running, the fans would come on about 2 sec later.. when I plugged it back in, the engine would die because it would suddenly be running rich/lean (not sure which)...

I would suggest just replacing the sensor and connector from the dealer and being done with the problem.

The sensor for the temp gauge on your dash is another sensor like the first one, in a similar location.
Old 04-16-2002, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
sounds like the connector either isn't making contact at all, or they are shorting together through too much dielectric grease.

Dielectric grease does not conduct current easily. The grease has to be only a very thin film between the two connecting surfaces. The Gap energy for the grease is very high, only very high voltage could conduct through any real length.

He might just have to pinch down the female connectors a little so that they grab better on the sensor tabs.
Old 04-16-2002, 07:09 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally posted by eric93SE

Dielectric grease does not conduct current easily. The grease has to be only a very thin film between the two connecting surfaces. The Gap energy for the grease is very high, only very high voltage could conduct through any real length.

He might just have to pinch down the female connectors a little so that they grab better on the sensor tabs.
wasn't sure whether dielectric grease was conductive or non-conductive..

common sense would say that it's non-conductive, as that's what a dielectric is.. a non-conductor.. the fields around my brain are warped from electromagnetics today.. me can't think.

anyway, still sounds like a loose connection. replace the connector or try crimping down the ends a bit so they make better contact.
Old 04-17-2002, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE

wasn't sure whether dielectric grease was conductive or non-conductive..

common sense would say that it's non-conductive, as that's what a dielectric is.. a non-conductor.. the fields around my brain are warped from electromagnetics today.. me can't think.

anyway, still sounds like a loose connection. replace the connector or try crimping down the ends a bit so they make better contact.
Thanks guys I appreciate all the advice and helpful explanations. I'm going to try to figure it out right now. Thanks again.