3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Update to my Harness Problem; one more Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 05:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

alright, the subject of this post was mostly to get ngthing's attention, but someone please answer me...

ngthing seems to have the 411 on anything and everything lighting related for a 3rd gen max...

what is the problem w/ my wiring harness that i just installed? everythings hooked up right, but my highs are always on and when i flip the high beam switch like im flashing my highs nothing happens but i hear a clikcing from one of my relays. i emailed the guy i got the harness from and he said he has one on his car and it works fine, and the clikcin from the relay is "expected when you turn the car on and off" (<---?????...doubt it)

i need to know what may be my problem. i know i posted about this just yesterday, but no one ever answers my Qs promptly and i figured ngthing would be one to look at posts w/ his name in the subject.

would my best bet just be to get a new harness, or is there something i may be able to check and possibly switch the location of to fix this? (relays, ground wires, etc)

im pretty sure theres nothing wrong w/ the wiring, and im not sure if this high beam problem actaully does any damage to the car itself but i would appreciate any help..thanks

sorry for the repetitiveness, i'm always really bored at work too so i just cruise the forum..

peace
Old 04-18-2002, 06:31 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Attn: NGTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by NickMax
alright, the subject of this post was mostly to get ngthing's attention, but someone please answer me...

ngthing seems to have the 411 on anything and everything lighting related for a 3rd gen max...

what is the problem w/ my wiring harness that i just installed? everythings hooked up right, but my highs are always on and when i flip the high beam switch like im flashing my highs nothing happens but i hear a clikcing from one of my relays. i emailed the guy i got the harness from and he said he has one on his car and it works fine, and the clikcin from the relay is "expected when you turn the car on and off" (<---?????...doubt it)

i need to know what may be my problem. i know i posted about this just yesterday, but no one ever answers my Qs promptly and i figured ngthing would be one to look at posts w/ his name in the subject.

would my best bet just be to get a new harness, or is there something i may be able to check and possibly switch the location of to fix this? (relays, ground wires, etc)

im pretty sure theres nothing wrong w/ the wiring, and im not sure if this high beam problem actaully does any damage to the car itself but i would appreciate any help..thanks

sorry for the repetitiveness, i'm always really bored at work too so i just cruise the forum..

peace
the clicking IS normal. it's the relays clicking.
check your connections. the female socket (on the harness) should be plugged into the driver side headlight socket. also check the ground and the battery connection.
if the harness is used its possible that the relay(s) are bad...if they click it should be ok.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:14 AM

alright, so i know the clicking is normal, should i just ground my wires to different stuff and see if it works? all the connections are right and the harness is new
Old 04-18-2002, 08:02 AM

Update to my Harness Problem; one more Question

alright, i just called teh garage that installed my wiring harness and they told me that a blown fuse would possibly cause the problem w/ my high beams. do i need any certain fuse (10,15,30, etc) since im using 100/80 bulbs or does the harness take care of all the power supply. what fuse should i use

thanks
Old 04-18-2002, 08:04 AM

Re: Update to my Harness Problem; one more Question

alright, i just called teh garage that installed my wiring harness and they told me that a blown fuse would possibly cause the problem w/ my high beams. do i need any certain fuse (10,15,30, etc) since im using 100/80 bulbs or does the harness take care of all the power supply. what fuse should i use

thanks
There should be an in-line fuse on the harness. The power wire that connects to the positive of the battery. Check that fuse.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:10 AM

alright, i have to apologize but i know like, absolutely zero about wiring and electrical stuff...so i still dont really understand what to check for my high beam fuse......

my harness came w/
-2 headlight sockets
-an adapter to plug into the drivers side existing headlight socket
-2 relays
-a wire coming off the PASS. side socket w/ a metal ring on the end (grounded to a screw)
-a wire coming off the DRIV. side socket w/ a metal ring on the end (grounded to a screw)
-2 other wires w/ metal rings on the ends (affixed to + end of the battery)

how would i check "the inline fuse on the harness." the wire that connects to the battery (which you told me to check MaximaRacer) just has those two metal rings on the ends, and i loosened the bolt connecting the + end of my battery, put the two rings in, and retightened the screw...

im still at a loss of what to check as far as light fuses and/or anything else that may be the cause of this. help a semi-engine-retarded kid out.

thanks
Old 04-18-2002, 09:28 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

alright, i have to apologize but i know like, absolutely zero about wiring and electrical stuff...so i still dont really understand what to check for my high beam fuse......

my harness came w/
-2 headlight sockets
-an adapter to plug into the drivers side existing headlight socket
-2 relays
-a wire coming off the PASS. side socket w/ a metal ring on the end (grounded to a screw)
-a wire coming off the DRIV. side socket w/ a metal ring on the end (grounded to a screw)
-2 other wires w/ metal rings on the ends (affixed to + end of the battery)

how would i check "the inline fuse on the harness." the wire that connects to the battery (which you told me to check MaximaRacer) just has those two metal rings on the ends, and i loosened the bolt connecting the + end of my battery, put the two rings in, and retightened the screw...

im still at a loss of what to check as far as light fuses and/or anything else that may be the cause of this. help a semi-engine-retarded kid out.

thanks
the upgraded harness did not come w/ a fuse...check the stock fuses..but i doubt that's it.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:09 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by DanNY

the upgraded harness did not come w/ a fuse...check the stock fuses..but i doubt that's it.
My harness came with fusible links (the wires connected to the + of the battery) so it may not have a fuse. If that is the case the fusible links are ok because they burn up if there is a problem. I think the relay is bad and is stuck on for the high beam (giving juice to the high beams at all time when the lights are on.)
Old 04-18-2002, 10:14 AM
I'm needing a caw

Hey Nick some suggestions:

1) Don't use "attn to". If you continue, I'll just delete the thread all together.

2) Don't make a new thread to comment on the same problem. Continue that and again, El Deleto will strike swiftly.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:30 AM

ATTN: everyone that helped w/ my wiring question

whoa whoa whoa my bad there jeff92se, ill try to watch my posts in the future. and i checked my fuses at my lunch break today and one of them was busted. i switched it and now they work fine. phat.