3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Does anyone know any trick mod?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 01:38 PM

Does anyone know any trick mod?

I have tried the search on this and i still came up empty handed. I was wondering: is there any trick mods that i can do with out spending any money? For example, my dad had a 89 chevy 1500 with a 350 in it and all he did was flip over the lid on the air cleaner and he got a little more power and alot of great sound. Is there any mods like that for the maxima in power and appearance? Thanx for your help.
Old 04-23-2002, 02:11 PM

Re: Does anyone know any trick mod?

Originally posted by slickwillie
I have tried the search on this and i still came up empty handed. I was wondering: is there any trick mods that i can do with out spending any money? For example, my dad had a 89 chevy 1500 with a 350 in it and all he did was flip over the lid on the air cleaner and he got a little more power and alot of great sound. Is there any mods like that for the maxima in power and appearance? Thanx for your help.
TIMING!!!
Old 04-23-2002, 02:21 PM

Re: Re: Does anyone know any trick mod?

Originally posted by ChrisCheezer

TIMING!!!
ac belt
Old 04-23-2002, 03:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

TB coolant hose bypass. (Okay, almost free...)
Old 04-23-2002, 04:44 PM

What exactly is this mod? Ive heard of it but not sure what it does or how it helps you. Are there any write ups on it?
Old 04-23-2002, 06:26 PM

The TB bypass is free if you do it right..,,... at least it is on a VE. VG??? I just took the longer of the two tubes going in and routed it from the AAC valve to were the other one came out by the thermostat. It's a tight fit and almost kinks, but not quite.

For a sound upgrade(possibly not power though), take out all of tubing from the front of the car to the air box.

Gene
Old 04-23-2002, 07:05 PM

The TB bypass is free if you do it right..,,... at least it is on a VE. VG??? I just took the longer of the two tubes going in and routed it from the AAC valve to were the other one came out by the thermostat. It's a tight fit and almost kinks, but not quite
Ok now i know how to do it, but the question is why?
Old 04-23-2002, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by Booner8269

Ok now i know how to do it, but the question is why?
Why would you want boiling hot liquid running through your TB?
Old 04-24-2002, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by rcrdps
The TB bypass is free if you do it right..,,... at least it is on a VE. VG??? I just took the longer of the two tubes going in and routed it from the AAC valve to were the other one came out by the thermostat. It's a tight fit and almost kinks, but not quite.

For a sound upgrade(possibly not power though), take out all of tubing from the front of the car to the air box.

Gene

How would i go about taking the pipe off? I took a look at the system the other day and i could not figure out how to take it off. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-24-2002, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by slickwillie

How would i go about taking the pipe off? I took a look at the system the other day and i could not figure out how to take it off. Does anyone have any ideas?
You have to figure out which holes are inlet and which are outlet. It goes in and then out the TB, back to the system if I remember right. Some connections you just cap off, but the one that supplies the (hot) coolant you have to get a short piece of metal tubing that can fit inside the hose and reroute it directly to wherever the coolant returns, thus bypassing the TB.
Old 04-24-2002, 05:42 PM

hmmmm....

Originally posted by Bman
doesn't this "free mod" screw with your idle?]

before you go and try any of these mods, do a search on them. there will be trade-offs.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:14 AM

Re: hmmmm....

Originally posted by poorcollegeboy

before you go and try any of these mods, do a search on them. there will be trade-offs.

No it shouldn't. The reason that the car was designed with the coolant running through the TB was to prevent it from freezing in cold weather.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:16 AM

No it shouldn't. The reason that the car was designed with the coolant running through the TB was to prevent the buterfly from freezing stuck in real cold weather. A lot of people have done this. If you live in a warm climate then more power to ya, but if it gets cold, below freezing, in the winter make sure you can reverse this. Some have even put in a valve so that all they have ot do is turn it back on.
Old 04-26-2002, 12:19 PM

Re: Re: hmmmm....

Originally posted by HoJo
.....Some have even put in a valve so that all they have ot do is turn it back on.
Oooh, clever!
Old 04-27-2002, 05:18 AM

Only if you put the TPS back on wrong. and even then all you have to do is adjust it.
Old 04-27-2002, 02:07 PM

speaking of little trick mods, i came up with an idea for my plastic intake tubing...on the VEs where the plastic tubing goes from the airbox, past the battery then the opening right behind the headlight. What my idea is; cut that tubing right past the airbox and cut a hole in the fenderwall like you would do with a cai and channel the plastic tubing (or some other type of bendable piping) into that opening in the fenderwall. This way it wont be sucking in air from inside the hot engine compartment. I dunno maybe its a good idea maybe not but keep in mind i tend to think and come up with screwy ideas often