3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Interesting heat problem...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 05:45 AM

Interesting heat problem...

Alrighty, before I get into the problem, here's the recent history:
Saturday, my brother and I finished putting the car back together after replacing the heater core.
When it came time to put the heater controls back in, we came across a slight problem (Well, actually, we knew about it when we took it all apart, but we couldn't fix it until the very end)
On the back of the hot/cold control, there are 2 cables that open and close the vents. One is a cable with a blue sheath, the other I couldn't even see the color of, because it had a square foam thing around it, almost like the stuff they use when shipping things to keep it from being bounced around.
Ok, when we took it apart, the blue cable was connected on the "cold" side, i.e., if you were sitting in the seat and looking at the controls, it was connected on the left side of the little... Fan-shaped thingy.
The other cable wasn't connected at all.
So, when we put it back together, we put the blue wire back on the left side (Again, inside the cabin), and hooked up the other cable on the "hot"/right side.
Unfortunately, there was no way to make it fit well, so we had to bend it around to make it fit behind there.
Ok, here are the problems:
1) Switch doesn't move all the way to hot or cold, I think it's because of how tight the cable is.
2) Hot/Cold switch is VERY tight, I try to move it very little for fear of breaking it.
3) When the switch isn't all the way on Cold, there is always cold air blowing from the upper vents (Not the defroster, the dash vents) whether it's on floor, defrost, or even dash vents. If it's on cold, whatever isn't on, stays off. (Before we took the whole thing apart, it was the defroster vents that never closed)
- When the slider is put on Cold, you can hear the vents "thunk", and when on Hot, you cannot (Moved all the way over)

Ok, now, what I'm looking for in answer to 1 and 2, is there some way to run the other cable so it's not bent around in a circle?
Or are they hooked up backwards (Which my brother thinks is the prob)
And for 3, is it because of the cable, or the buttons on the control, or what?
Thanx everyone!
Old 04-27-2002, 05:30 PM

Any Ideas?

<cough, cough>
I take it I finally found a problem that scares everyone?