3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Looking to aquire a Maxima. Need pointers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 04:19 PM
r_hewitt

Looking to aquire a Maxima. Need pointers.

Hello all,

Hi, I'm new to this forum and looking to buy my first Maxima, so I was wondering if I could get a few pointers. I'm in college, and I need a new (used) vehicle that will get good fuel econemy, be reliable, and have the overall quickness that is needed for the agressive driving here in Houston, TX. I was interested in getting a 4th generation model, but unfortunately, my budget will not allow it. I pretty much have my mind set on a 1992-1994 Maxima SE. Is this a good choice, or were there a lot of problems with the SE engine vs the gxe engine in the 3rd gens? Also, what should I expect to pay for a "good condition" mechanically and structurally sound Maxima of this era with ohhh, say 125k miles? Are there any common problems that I should look out for that are easily identifiable? Any year models to look out for? If there are some small problems that are not a big deal that I might run into, I would probably be alble to tackle whatever it is, being tha tI consider myself a capable mechanic. I've done major engine overhauls and other such work, but I'm not really up to dealing with a problem child, as I've spent the last three years driving three different International Scouts which constantly needed attention and repair. I'm ready for a reliable vehicle with low maintenance needs. Thanks for any good advice and pointers which any of you can give to me. I hope to soon join this board for regular discussion.

thanks a lot,
Rhett Hewitt
Houston, TX

Old 04-26-2002, 06:42 PM

Whatever you do wait for a 5-speed in good condition. Automatics in our cars our very prone to problems, I've already dumped $1,200 into transmission costs in the first 6 months. If you're looking for reliability a VG engine is your best bet, they are found in all 1989-1994 Maximas except for the 92-94 SE's. The VG has plenty of power and is an extremely reliable engine (pretty much the same engine that was used in the 300ZX). If you do decide to go for a 92-94 SE with a VE engine, watch out for VTC's, by using the search function you can learn more about these. Almost all of them go out and cost a $1,000 or more to fix. That's all I can really think of right now, make sure that you get an SE, and a 5 speed. For more information use the search, this has been discussed many times before. Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:14 PM

Make sure to ask about maintenance, best if they have records.
common problems are:

exhaust studs breaking - can be $$
window regulators - minor
antenna mast - minor
clock fading in/out - minor
vtc ticking for VE engine - $$

92-94 SE's have timing chains while all others have a timing belt... I think that's right. So keep that in mind as well.