3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Rat a Tat Tat behind the center console when car starts!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2002, 02:47 PM

Rat a Tat Tat behind the center console when car starts!?

I had my battery go bad the other day and after I jumped it I hear a TAT TAT TAT TAT TAT coming from the center console somewhere behind the radio. It has done this for the last two mornings when I start it and it goes away in about 2 minutes. Its rather loud and only does it the first start of the day. Any ideas? Please help.
Thanks.
Old 04-27-2002, 11:07 PM

The noise your hearing is probabaly your starting selonid and the reason its doing it is probably because you have some small thing draining your battery overnight so you might want to look into that
Old 04-28-2002, 04:55 AM

Originally posted by maxmaxima91
The noise your hearing is probabaly your starting selonid and the reason its doing it is probably because you have some small thing draining your battery overnight so you might want to look into that
Still happening with new battery.
It happens when you put the key in the ignition and turn to the ACC position too, without the car running or trying to start, and continues to do so after the car starts. I couldnt hear it in the engine bay. Sears said the charging system was ok etc. Would the leak or drain have shown up then? I hate trying to chase down electrical problems! Thanks a lot for the help!
sks
Old 04-28-2002, 11:44 AM
STFU n00b!

Do you have Bose radio?
turn the stereo off and see if it's still happening.
Old 04-28-2002, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
Do you have Bose radio?
turn the stereo off and see if it's still happening.
The bose radio was off, thats the weird thing.. Almost sounds like it could be where the computer is or something. Never heard anything like it.
Thanks,
Old 04-29-2002, 01:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Are you sure its not the sensor that unlocks the shift **** when you press the brake? My brakes were going bad and I used to hear that clicking noise at startup too. I used to have to press that button at the front to move it out of park. After I had my brakes and ABS sensor repaired, it went away. Now I don't hear it at all unless I hit the brake, when it unlocks the shift ****. This is only when the car is in Park.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-29-2002, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by PainPillPlease
Are you sure its not the sensor that unlocks the shift **** when you press the brake? My brakes were going bad and I used to hear that clicking noise at startup too. I used to have to press that button at the front to move it out of park. After I had my brakes and ABS sensor repaired, it went away. Now I don't hear it at all unless I hit the brake, when it unlocks the shift ****. This is only when the car is in Park.

Hope this helps.
Sounds like that may be it. It happened today at the first startup and didnt click as long, then the second time it was started it didnt do it. Weird huh? What did they have to do to your brakes to fix it and was it expensive?
Thanks again for the help!
Old 04-29-2002, 03:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I don't know exactly how it got fixed. The dealer by my house was having a brake special for $250.00 That did not include the ABS sensor which was an additional $140.00. This is probably a lot more than you could get someone else to do it for, but I like the dealer and he always gives me a loner car for free. (I gotta have one, my Max is our family's only car)

It was the front brakes that had the bad sensor, but it could be your pads are almost shot and whatever it is that registers when you apply the brake for that unlocking thing on the shift **** is getting confused.
Old 05-29-2002, 10:02 AM

thats really weird it has to be something in the engine bay
Old 05-29-2002, 02:06 PM

The noise might be from the engine cause everyonce and a while when i start it up for the first time for the day the rockers click cause there is no oil up there yet. Ya it was pretty loud and it happens about once a week. Although it might be a month between time when it happens. Well this is just something to think about
Old 05-29-2002, 03:12 PM

the same thing happened to my car for a while but then stopped, i took off the passenger kick panel and listened and it was coming from the ECU, i don't know why it was doing that, but all of the sudden it just stoped and hasn't done it for a couple months.
Old 05-29-2002, 03:28 PM

It does seem to be comming from the ECU. It happened the other day when the outdoor temp got a little lower. It hasnt happened much since the nights are warming up. Very weird. It definetly is not the shift/brake relay thing and it is inside the car. Thanks guys for the imput!
Old 01-20-2003, 10:30 AM

Update!

Still no solution but a few more clues. Help needed. You can pull the Airconditioner fuse and it will quit and the clock will not light up either and you cant select the vents. But the fan and temp controls still work. With the fuse in you can hold down a reg vent button and either of the two defrost buttons simultaneously it stops while your holding them. If you pull the fuse in and out maybe 50 times it also quits. Once I got it to quit this way and then hit the recirculate button and it started again. I tried a new ac/heat/vent control unit and that did not fix it. The air mix motor for the vents seems to work, without a sound.

Question does the recirculate/fresh air button activate a motor to close off the outside air or open it up when defrost is selected? Im thinking that even if its on recirculate and you push defrost it opens up to let outside air in to help unfog or defrost. If so it could be the motor for that vent. Is there a seperate motor for the recirculation vent? It clicks very loudly and you can even hear it outside the car. It seems to be comming from under the glovebox near the main fan, at least I can feel the tapping there, but cant locate a motor or switch etc.

Need help please!

Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-21-2003, 11:13 AM

Re: Update!

Originally posted by 89sks
Still no solution but a few more clues. Help needed. You can pull the Airconditioner fuse and it will quit and the clock will not light up either and you cant select the vents. But the fan and temp controls still work. With the fuse in you can hold down a reg vent button and either of the two defrost buttons simultaneously it stops while your holding them. If you pull the fuse in and out maybe 50 times it also quits. Once I got it to quit this way and then hit the recirculate button and it started again. I tried a new ac/heat/vent control unit and that did not fix it. The air mix motor for the vents seems to work, without a sound.

Question does the recirculate/fresh air button activate a motor to close off the outside air or open it up when defrost is selected? Im thinking that even if its on recirculate and you push defrost it opens up to let outside air in to help unfog or defrost. If so it could be the motor for that vent. Is there a seperate motor for the recirculation vent? It clicks very loudly and you can even hear it outside the car. It seems to be comming from under the glovebox near the main fan, at least I can feel the tapping there, but cant locate a motor or switch etc.

Need help please!

Thanks,
Steve
Theres got to be someone out there with some experience with this. Please advise.