3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

climate control

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 11:39 AM

climate control

hi,

this question may seem kinda retarted (please do not flame me). if i knew the answer i would not ask.

93 gxe
======

my question stems from the left selector on the control panel. the one that goes up and down. it 'seems' the top one is for a/c and the bottom for heat? is this correct or can i run a/c with the bottom?

also..once i hit the button the sends air thru the vents near the windshield it always defaults to AUTO and i cannot then press the circulate air on the inside only button...

any tips? is there something wrong with the control panel? haynes doesn't expand on it at all.

thanks.

jason
Old 05-02-2002, 12:14 PM

bump
Old 05-02-2002, 12:16 PM

Auto climate control?

Hey, I have auto climate control too! I've never seen another with auto air....weird. I love mine, I just turn it on and let it work for me. I leave that little lever up all the time except when it's cold out. I believe in the manual it tells you to leave it down when you're not using the air conditioning, but the problem is, it runs the air conditioning unit which robs your HP output . (Leave it up unless it's cold out)
Old 05-02-2002, 12:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by supa
bump
easy slugger, your post hadn't even been up an hour

anyway, do you happen to have the owners manual that comes with the car (usually in the glove box)? if so, it explains all you need to know in there

the little switch isn't really heat/cool, it's a fresh air vent try searching for that on here, I've seen several posts before about it

I'm not sure about your other problem because I dont have any experience with the automatic climate control (it was an option for GXEs but not SEs)

Old 05-02-2002, 12:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

No owner's manual? It's all in there but I don't remember what does what in what combination. The lever is a fresh air bypass but I don't fool with it anymore...
Old 05-02-2002, 01:41 PM

nope no owners manual guys...i bought the haynes...nothing about it in there....that's why i made the post..

so in concluding..

top:- free aor flow from the outside...makes sense why some dust usually comes out from it if i turn on the fan!

bottom: close for maximum a/c comfort (e.g. hot days). however, it turns on the a/c unit which takes away from HP.

correct?

jason

thanks for the replies!
Old 05-02-2002, 02:30 PM

Ok, I'm feeling nice right now so I went and looked. Leave the lever on the symbol without the wavy lines most of the time. This passes the air through the climate system. Switching to the other way changes it so only the face vents blast from the outside at whatever temp the outside air is. This system works independant of the AC and recirculate systems.

The DEFOG button (your other question) overrides the RECIRCulate button. This makes 100% sense since it would be dumb to recirculate moist air in the cabin when you push the DEFOG button to defog your windows.

Most of the time I just leave it on AUTO and let it decide! Sometimes I'll vary the temperature from 24 (manual recommended most times) to 23.5 once in a while, and push the DEFOG button, but that's it. Oh yeah, ECON turns off the AC, so imagine the system trying to do it's job without the help of AC and that's how it works - I play with that too, heh heh Mostly when I roll the windows down tho, since I don't want the climate cont. fighting with the warm outside air.
Old 05-02-2002, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by supa
so in concluding..
top:- free aor flow from the outside...makes sense why some dust usually comes out from it if i turn on the fan!

bottom: close for maximum a/c comfort (e.g. hot days). however, it turns on the a/c unit which takes away from HP.
correct?
jason
thanks for the replies!
Not quite if the lever is up it lets air bypass the climate system

If it is down air must go through the climate system. The only thing that turns on the AC is the Ac button
Old 05-02-2002, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by PATRICK94SE

.......The only thing that turns on the AC is the Ac button
Not if you have Auto Climate Control. There isn't any AC button...
Old 05-02-2002, 09:15 PM

Realy? how does the system decide to turn on AC or just push in cool air from outside?
Old 05-02-2002, 09:36 PM

Realy? how does the system decide to turn on AC or just push in cool air from outside?
Err... that's complicated! There's at least 4 sensors I know of - outside ambient temp, conditioned-air temp, interior temp, and sunlight sensor (located at base of windsheild). It just decides based on how much it has to cool the interior. If the outside air is chilly it might not use AC (say, if it was sunny as hell and baking inside the car but it's winter out). If the air is hot and the inside is hot, it'll decide to turn on the AC and run the fan at full blast until the temp is down. Yes, it controls fan speed too. Likewise it uses the heater similarly. You can tell it not to use AC by punching ECON and it'll do it's best without it.

Oh yeah, it also decides where you need it (high, low, bi-level, etc) but you can manually tell it what to do except for "blow cold" or "blow hot".... I guess you'd just have to crank up or down the temperature selector to do that....

It really is a very cool feature and works pretty well. I've only had a few instances where it's acted funny (ie, overcooling or overheating).
Old 05-02-2002, 09:40 PM

Cool thanks.
Old 05-02-2002, 10:40 PM

Cool thanks.
damn bman!

thanks a lot...!

i have a total understanding now..

regards.