3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Irritating problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2002, 03:10 PM

Irritating problem

Im having a problem with my car, it surges and it has a loss of power when it gets warm, it is also kind of weak when it is cold too but not as bad. Another thing it is doing is after it has been sitting for a while 1-2 hours, when I start it up it idles weird for a few seconds, and if i put it into drive and take off it almost dies a couple of times, but then after about 10 seconds it is fine. I pulled the codes off the ECU and nothing showed up. Things that i have done is; Changed oil, changed transmission fluid, new throttle position sensor, O2 sensor, cleaned throttle body, put engine treatment in, put fuel injector cleaner in, cleaned the coolant temp sensor, checked the coil plugs, and changed the spark plugs, So do you guys have any ideas what is wrong. If you do please help!! Thanks
Old 05-05-2002, 10:41 PM

Lets first start with what kind of car you have? Make? Model? Year?
Old 05-05-2002, 10:46 PM

Exactly, like i like to ask tha chicks in the club..."What are you working with?" and this is just out of curiousity for other members that might know, is it cool to mix all that ish (engine,fuel,etc treatment) at one time in ya gas tank like that?
Old 05-05-2002, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by Bryan91SE
Lets first start with what kind of car you have? Make? Model? Year?

Year/Make/Model/Trim 92 Maxima SE
Color: pearl white
Mods:
Old 05-06-2002, 01:54 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Howabout your fuel filter? (Not sure about this since you're saying it drives fine sometimes). Drivability gremlins are annoying to troubleshoot. You should buy/borrow a repair manual and prove your engine sensors and "management hardware".
Old 05-06-2002, 06:56 PM

i put a new fuel filter on about 6,000 miles ago, but since then i have put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in. would that do anything?
Old 05-06-2002, 07:06 PM

which kind

Originally posted by jaredb03
i put a new fuel filter on about 6,000 miles ago, but since then i have put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in. would that do anything?
i remeber that i used lucas gas treatment to clean the injectors.. and that made my car hasitate at low rpms and then i had to keep the engine rev up to keep it from bogging.. it went away after 2-3 tanks of gas.. taht stuff is thick... so becarefull what you put in.. if this happened after you put treatment then that is your answer.. all that gunk that the cleaner takes out clogs the filter.. remember that when you put treatment into the gas tank it sinks and loosens the dirt and crap that was settled on the bottom, now all that is passing through the system starting from the fuel pump throught the filter and on to the engine. all i can say is burn all the gas off waste it... fill up and waste it again.. if you had the car serviced as i did before i did the treatment then that is the culpret. Just drive along on a high way getting you rev up above 2500-3000+rpms.. belive me it happend to me.. i had the tuneup done and i put the treatment.. also got my motor washed... so i relly got the full blunt of bogging slow response, and no pep... drive it off... hope this helps. Any thing you want to add about how tthe car feels.. when does it want to turn off.. Does our rev jump up and down when you come to a full stop.. meaning it will be @ 400rpms then jumpo to 12000 then back down ...?
Old 05-06-2002, 07:25 PM

another thing it does is if i sit with the car on for awhile not giving it gas, just at idle,like in a resturant drive thru, when i take off it wll be fine for about 30-60 sec. and then start surging again like the filter is getting clogged or some thing like that!! is this what happened to you? Also do you think i should run the tank all the way down then put a new filter on?
Old 05-06-2002, 07:30 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

In all honesty, Jared, it sounds strangly like your MAF sensor. I had a similar problem, 'til someone here in the .org pointed this out to me. Once I replaced that, I've had no problems since... at least not in THAT department.
Old 05-06-2002, 07:30 PM

run the tank down

another thing it does is if i sit with the car on for awhile not giving it gas, just at idle,like in a resturant drive thru, when i take off it wll be fine for about 30-60 sec. and then start surging again like the filter is getting clogged or some thing like that!! is this what happened to you? Also do you think i should run the tank all the way down then put a new filter on?

Keep running the max till atleast two fill it should go away...if anything yo ucan get another filter for like 10 bucks or less... just fill up atleast twice... it shoud be ok
Old 05-06-2002, 07:37 PM

Re: Irritating problem

Im having a problem with my car, it surges and it has a loss of power when it gets warm, it is also kind of weak when it is cold too but not as bad. Another thing it is doing is after it has been sitting for a while 1-2 hours, when I start it up it idles weird for a few seconds, and if i put it into drive and take off it almost dies a couple of times, but then after about 10 seconds it is fine. I pulled the codes off the ECU and nothing showed up. Things that i have done is; Changed oil, changed transmission fluid, new throttle position sensor, O2 sensor, cleaned throttle body, put engine treatment in, put fuel injector cleaner in, cleaned the coolant temp sensor, checked the coil plugs, and changed the spark plugs, So do you guys have any ideas what is wrong. If you do please help!! Thanks
sounds like typical VE symptoms...yes VEs tend to have a slight loss of power usually when warmed up i notice it too sometimes...how are your VTCs? And yea after i put it into drive from park the idle drops for a second then rebounds. When you shift into drive from park does it hesitate a bit before you feel the car jerk when the gear engages?
Old 05-06-2002, 08:08 PM

i disabled the VTC's, i got the instructions from craigs home page
Old 05-06-2002, 08:11 PM

did that help

i disabled the VTC's, i got the instructions from craigs home page
or are you still getting the same response
i am interested in knowing how the whole thing started .. did you add something or mod something... wash water in the engine bay? details
Old 05-06-2002, 08:14 PM

Jared, for the second time, what year is your Max? If it's a VE, you need to check the timing, especially if you rewired or if you VTC's are bad. I had the same problem. A manual adjustment of the timing fixed it.
Old 05-06-2002, 08:16 PM

again i posted its in his profile

Jared, for the second time, what year is your Max? If it's a VE, you need to check the timing, especially if you rewired or if you VTC's are bad. I had the same problem. A manual adjustment of the timing fixed it.
Year/Make/Model/Trim 92 Maxima SE
Color: pearl white
Mods:
Old 05-06-2002, 08:18 PM

well it started when i had a bad O2 sensor, at first i didnt know what was wrong so i did all that stuff the treatment and other sensors, then i pulled the codes of the ECU, and found out i had a bad O2 sensor and i replaced it. well since putting that O2 sensor on its doing a different kind of surging, diff then before, like something is clogged!! so i don't know what is going on.
Old 05-06-2002, 08:21 PM

so do you think i should put the VTC's back and see if that helps, and if it does ground them again and check the timing? 92 SE!!!
Old 05-06-2002, 08:22 PM

Ah, I thought you were talking about yours. I should have noticed the GXE wheels though. I never remember to look at profiles.

Jared, definitely check your timing. The procedure is on Craig's page. It should take about 5 minutes. The crank angle sensor is very easily accessible.
Old 05-06-2002, 08:26 PM

ok so you got some work done

well it started when i had a bad O2 sensor, at first i didnt know what was wrong so i did all that stuff the treatment and other sensors, then i pulled the codes of the ECU, and found out i had a bad O2 sensor and i replaced it. well since putting that O2 sensor on its doing a different kind of surging, diff then before, like something is clogged!! so i don't know what is going on.

the next thing would be the vtc which was mentioned, bt i keep coming back to the fuel cleaner... my money is on the fuel filter. Does it run fine on the high way? how much gas you have left when you put the gas treatment and how much you have now... Just try my way.. hey 2 gas tanks and it should be fine if you did a tuneup and changed things in the max.. have you checked your oil and tranny oil levels to make certain you have adequet oil..? my be you can reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery for the night.... you can try that.. you can also try getting a throttle body cleaner and clean the throttle body your self.. really easy.. Ther could be gunk in the holes that inject the gas at the throttle body.... if push comes to shove take it to the nissan dealer.. Try some things see if it helps.. check your spark plugs too. your distributor wires are properly attached to the plugs..
Old 05-06-2002, 08:30 PM

lol thats ok

Ah, I thought you were talking about yours. I should have noticed the GXE wheels though. I never remember to look at profiles.

Jared, definitely check your timing. The procedure is on Craig's page. It should take about 5 minutes. The crank angle sensor is very easily accessible.
the easiest answers to question is search and profiles
Old 05-06-2002, 08:30 PM

I get a little surging when starting, but that's it. If I were you, I would check the O rings that was discussed on the two solenoids. Make sure you don't have intake leaks.

I guess if you want to narrow the surge down, you can unground them and see if it's the cause. Always look at what was most recently changed. Perhaps that new O2 isn't doing the job?
Old 05-06-2002, 08:31 PM

i have checked the oil levels, and i have cleaned the throttle body, but i don't know how far back i am supposed to clean? how far? and i did reset the ECU. well i think i did. how long are you supposed to leave the battery unpluged? i unpluged it for about 15 minutes
Old 05-06-2002, 08:34 PM

ok my friend we will get through this

i have checked the oil levels, and i have cleaned the throttle body, but i don't know how far back i am supposed to clean? how far? and i did reset the ECU. well i think i did. how long are you supposed to leave the battery unpluged? i unpluged it for about 15 minutes
btw if you have aol instant messenger or yahoo or msn messenger get on and lets chat

aol= crazyizzy0619
yahoo and msn = crazyizzy
Old 05-06-2002, 08:37 PM

I have some recommendations from the VG Factory Service Manual that may be helpful also:

http://members.csinet.net/tisch/maxima/faq.htm#idling
Old 05-06-2002, 08:37 PM

it says your not on msn
Old 05-07-2002, 06:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

you have a Water damaged ECU!!!!!!

i am from australia (despite what my profile says) and i own a 1993 Maxima, i have just sent my ECU away to be fixed after my car experienced the same problems as yours, don't know what caused the water damage thats for the weekend to find out, rip your ECU out open the bottom cover up and have a look, my guess is that you will see corrosion or rust

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you asked