3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

90 SE trannie questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2000, 05:25 PM
Foo90SE

I got the trannie rebuilt about 4 months ago in my max...and iv been hearing horror stories about trannies in the early 90's maximas breaking upwards of 8-9 times even after a rebuild. Is this common or is that the exception? Im trying to decide wether i should sell the car while the trannie is under warrenty or not. It's doing fine as of now, and i did replace the cooler in the radiator with an external one.
Thanks for any responses,
Ely T

Old 11-29-2000, 05:42 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Well I been through 3 rebuilds......

the third time it broke from mechanic error of installation, but I've still got my ride and now its doing fine!! did you keep the stock cooler and run the new cooler inline after the stock one?? or did you take the stock one out? just use an ATF with DextronIII in it and watch for leaks and stuff. Ask about an extended warranty cause remember you've got a 10 year old car thats worth maybe $3000-4000(Blubook) and you probably paid twice that to get it!!(I'm guessing) but thats just my $.02!!!! goodluck!!!

Originally posted by Foo90SE
I got the trannie rebuilt about 4 months ago in my max...and iv been hearing horror stories about trannies in the early 90's maximas breaking upwards of 8-9 times even after a rebuild. Is this common or is that the exception? Im trying to decide wether i should sell the car while the trannie is under warrenty or not. It's doing fine as of now, and i did replace the cooler in the radiator with an external one.
Thanks for any responses,
Ely T
Old 11-29-2000, 05:46 PM
Foo90SE

I bypassed the stock one

because the dude who rebuilt the trannie said he wouldnt warrenty it if i didnt
ill probably get a bigger one when i can afford it but right now i have a 7" by 12" one(i think)

Old 11-29-2000, 06:27 PM
perlmax90

i don't know about trannys but i love lights can yo upost a pic of your blue

dash lights

Old 11-29-2000, 07:05 PM

Re: i don't know about trannys but i love lights can yo upost a pic of your blue

see my sig
Old 11-29-2000, 07:09 PM
perlmax90

nise i want those.

i love blue lights there so cool

Old 11-29-2000, 07:12 PM

Re: nise i want those.

yeah don't we all!
Old 11-29-2000, 07:42 PM

Well I have had my tranny rebuilt over 10 times now. I finnaly made an agreement that the tranny shop would just go ahead and convert my tranny to 5-speed. I told them if they got the tranny in there that I would work on the thing myself and they would never see me again. Sounda like a good plan since my car has been at the tranny shop the last 7 months out of the year. The extra second I'll gain with the 5-speed didn't sound bad either.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed.

Old 11-29-2000, 08:02 PM
Foo90SE

Dayum...

now im scared of my trannie. I may try to find a wrecked 5-speed max and see about converting...and talk to the guy who rebuilt mine and make sure HE does the labor if it dies hehe...
About the blue dash lights....they kinda arnt blue anymore...even though the pack said the glass was blue and not just painted, after about 2 weeks they're already turning white If you do this mod, get the 10 bucks/pair bulbs..it'll pay off in the long run!

Old 11-29-2000, 08:11 PM
Maxima Princess

Dayum 10 times!!!! Well I'm on my first & hopefully my last rebuild. I paid alot of money ($2100) for a complete overhaul & I hope to never see my shop again. I did get a separate tranny cooler installed. My mech. also said he put in an extra solenoid pack? since they all had to be replaced & he also put a temp sensor in my car. Basically it until the coolant is at operating temperature it wont kick into OD all the way. He said he could bypass this for me & fool the computer then it will automatically kick in no matter how cold/hot the coolant is but I stressed that I would do anything to make the tranny last as long as it could, so he suggested leaving it this way. So far he seems cool & I haven't had any probs with my tranny.
Old 11-29-2000, 08:16 PM
perlmax90

i havn't had to do that yet, and i don't think i want to

i'm going to go easy on my car from now on.

when you down shift to stop at a light does that damage your tranny after a while. because some people told me standard tranys were build to handle it and others told me something else?

and in an auto can you shift from drive 1 to 2 or even 3 while the car is moving? i've heard two differnt storys on that too.

Old 11-29-2000, 08:29 PM
Foo90SE

I normally dont use it to downshift...

I havnt heard if its good or bad, but im gona assume its bad and not do it i used to manually shift it sometimes but really theres no use since it'll rev to redline if u just hold it to da floor.
Im going to get a trannie temp gauge soon to make sure its not runnin too hot too

Old 11-30-2000, 08:01 AM

Its OK to manuelly upshift with an autumatic but it does put stress on the tranny when you manuelly downshift. I used to do it all the time to tell you the truth. After I blew my first tranny it seemed like no matter how I drove I would go through another one every two weeks. It must just be my car though because I've never seen anyone with as big as a problem that I've had with it.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed.

Old 11-30-2000, 09:13 AM

what do you guys do??

I dont know what you guys do to your car but 10 times, i mean thats unheard of, you must rev it to red and slam it into drive, i ahve 150k on mine, original everything, and she runs like a top, just had her in to the shop and had the mech check the tranny, said it looked perfect... I dont know what you guys do?? but $2100?? you guys gotta learn how to fix your own cars, you can get a new tranny and put it inyourself for less than 1/4 of that.. I do all my work myself, its not that hard...
Old 11-30-2000, 09:34 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

umm yeah maybe it's the 4inch drop that's tearing into your tranny.
or maybe it's the way you think the car is a Porsche when u belt in your 4 point harness.
or just maybe your shifting it manually at redline.
or maybe...just maybe it's your tranny guy. after 1 or 2nd time you would think you'll need a new person working on your tranny...but u kept going to the same guy. can it be your driving style?? u do burnouts daily enh?
Dan

Originally posted by chris92gxe
Well I have had my tranny rebuilt over 10 times now. I finnaly made an agreement that the tranny shop would just go ahead and convert my tranny to 5-speed. I told them if they got the tranny in there that I would work on the thing myself and they would never see me again. Sounda like a good plan since my car has been at the tranny shop the last 7 months out of the year. The extra second I'll gain with the 5-speed didn't sound bad either.

Old 11-30-2000, 10:05 AM
Maxima Princess

Re: what do you guys do??

Originally posted by 90maxSE
I dont know what you guys do to your car but 10 times, i mean thats unheard of, you must rev it to red and slam it into drive, i ahve 150k on mine, original everything, and she runs like a top, just had her in to the shop and had the mech check the tranny, said it looked perfect... I dont know what you guys do?? but $2100?? you guys gotta learn how to fix your own cars, you can get a new tranny and put it inyourself for less than 1/4 of that.. I do all my work myself, its not that hard...

I have never redlined my car & have probably hit 4K RMP a handfull of times in 3 years. I have also always had my tranny serviced. It cost me alot because I had everything replaced...hard steel plates, new solenoids, TC, etc etc etc, but I had a tranny cooler & a recalibration kit put on.
Old 11-30-2000, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by DanNY
or maybe it's the way you think the car is a Porsche when u belt in your 4 point harness.
or maybe...just maybe it's your tranny guy. after 1 or 2nd time you would think you'll need a new person working on your tranny...but u kept going to the same guy. can it be your driving style?? u do burnouts daily enh?
Dan

The only reason that I go back to the same mechanic is because they gave me a warranty. There is no need to pay another $1800 to get someone else to do it. And I do all the work on my car except for the tranny. If I didn't have the auto It would never be touched by anyone. Thats kinda the whole point that I want the 5-speed. I'm sure I could work on the auto but I just dont feel like messin with it. I think that its so funny that you like to cut on my MAx. Cause I know that as soon as you see it you'll take everything back. I could find things about everyones MAx's on this forum that I dont like but you dont see me taken my time pointing them out. Get a life man.

'92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed.

Old 11-30-2000, 02:39 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

umm yeah..so if i told u that i have a SC in my VG you're going to believe me?
or if i have a 20 inch rim on my car your going to believe me??
ok u have a 4 inch drop...that's very very undriveable..but if you said that you can drive it then fine. show me a picture and i'll take back every word i said about you BSing the entire BBS about the 4inch drop. i don't know about everyone else but a 4inch drop on a max your basically 2-3 inches away from the bump stop. you and a few other here said that "yeah i work on my car and did every mod and etc"...fine back it up. tell me what exactly you did to make the car go down 4 inches and drive around town w/o probs. i can give u every detail on the strut removal or doing all 4 brakes and etc. i don't claim to be an expert here but if your going to out right LIE to the BBS at least make it believeable.
then we have the 10 tranny rebuild. sure i can blow a tranny every week if i wanted to but how are u doing that with everyday driving? your car almost spends more time at the tranny shop. are u doing netural drops at ever light? do u drive the car w/o ATF in it?? let me know how in the world you can go through 10 tranny rebuilds? people can go 100K with the original tranny. is it your rebuilder?? is he doing a bad job at rebuilding a tranny?? if a shop rebuild a tranny and he had to redo it 10 time all under warranty then that shop is going out of business. every tranny rebuild clocks in at $1500 to $2000...(conservative amount...9X$1500 = $13,500!! the shop spend over $13,000 in labor and supplies for your warranty.
give it a rest ok? i don't cut on your car because i feel like it. things u say about your car are very unbelieveable. you see me saying all this BS about my car??? NO..because there's no need. we drive the same car..there's no way around it. it came from the same assembly line.
i do have a life...i'm not home 7 months out of the year because my car is in the shop w/ a broken tranny.
Dan

Originally posted by DanNY
Dan

The only reason that I go back to the same mechanic is because they gave me a warranty. There is no need to pay another $1800 to get someone else to do it. And I do all the work on my car except for the tranny. If I didn't have the auto It would never be touched by anyone. Thats kinda the whole point that I want the 5-speed. I'm sure I could work on the auto but I just dont feel like messin with it. I think that its so funny that you like to cut on my MAx. Cause I know that as soon as you see it you'll take everything back. I could find things about everyones MAx's on this forum that I dont like but you dont see me taken my time pointing them out. Get a life man.

'92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed.

Old 11-30-2000, 03:44 PM

I cant believe that you think that I am lying about all this crap. First of all it is possible to have 20's on a max and you could get a SC made for the VG30E. All I have said is that I have a 4" drop and terrible tranny problems. Well there is only truth in all of that. Anyone can have a 4" drop if they cut the dead-coils off of a lowering spring. If you take a look at a stock max you will see that there is plenty of room to work with the suspension. My car doesnt sit on the ground or something. I'm a big fan of GT-Touring cars and basically my car is about as identical to them as I think you can get for a max. My car's paint job will be done over Christmas break and I will show you all that my car is definitely no lie.

Old 11-30-2000, 05:16 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

ok fair enough..
yes i said it's possible to have 20's and it's possible to have a SC and it's possible to have a car lowered 4 inches. like i always say it's your car do what u want. cutting springs is a major no no..but if u think it looks and rides great then go for it. it doesn't seem that tire wear, suspension wear, and safety is in your vocabulary.
having 10 tranny rebuild is over the "terrible" stage. it's called bad tranny techs or bad driver. you can love the GT-Touring cars and etc but it doesn't mean you are driving one.
do u have a pit crew? is your car driven on a smooth paved track? are the body panels held by rivets? u have a roll cage in the car? fuel cell? etc etc..my point is that your car is driven on a public road (when the tranny is working) and it's not a race car. but if u want to slap 3000 stickers on your car and ride around looking like a touring car then more power to u. now i want to see what your car looks like..or what it will look like.
Dan

I cant believe that you think that I am lying about all this crap. First of all it is possible to have 20's on a max and you could get a SC made for the VG30E. All I have said is that I have a 4" drop and terrible tranny problems. Well there is only truth in all of that. Anyone can have a 4" drop if they cut the dead-coils off of a lowering spring. If you take a look at a stock max you will see that there is plenty of room to work with the suspension. My car doesnt sit on the ground or something. I'm a big fan of GT-Touring cars and basically my car is about as identical to them as I think you can get for a max. My car's paint job will be done over Christmas break and I will show you all that my car is definitely no lie.

Old 11-30-2000, 06:23 PM

Ok thats fair. You'll get a chance to see my car soon enough.