3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

suspension drop /w a body kit? what's the max you can drop it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2000, 05:52 PM

hey hey. I was curious, what's the max you could drop your maxima with a stillen body kit, valances, front lip, and rear skirt.

when I say maximum, I mean a decent drop. a stock maxima dropped 1.5" you guys said is decent, and you don't have to worry THAT mcuh about bumps, etc. I'd like to keep the underbody in once piece
Old 11-29-2000, 05:56 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I'd say 1.5" is safest....

when you take account for hills, debris and all that other good stuff!!! 1.75" at the max, but not suggested!! If you ever seen a 2" dropped Civic get stuck on a parking block or run over a big stick in the street you'll now what I mean!!!(very funny and embarrasing!)

Originally posted by ngthing
hey hey. I was curious, what's the max you could drop your maxima with a stillen body kit, valances, front lip, and rear skirt.

when I say maximum, I mean a decent drop. a stock maxima dropped 1.5" you guys said is decent, and you don't have to worry THAT mcuh about bumps, etc. I'd like to keep the underbody in once piece
Old 11-29-2000, 06:00 PM

Re: I'd say 1.5

Originally posted by DA-MAX
when you take account for hills, debris and all that other good stuff!!! 1.75" at the max, but not suggested!! If you ever seen a 2" dropped Civic get stuck on a parking block or run over a big stick in the street you'll now what I mean!!!(very funny and embarrasing!)

[/I][/QUOTE]

1.5" EVEN with a kit? those kits make your car lower don't they?
Old 11-29-2000, 06:21 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: I'd say 1.5

Naw 1.5" is straight!!! just be careful on hills and go into steep driveways at an angle! Hey, thats the price you gotta pay to look good! Oh yea, and park backwrads, I cracked my front spoiler TOO MANY times, its not even funny!!

Originally posted by ngthing

1.5" EVEN with a kit? those kits make your car lower don't they? [/I][/QUOTE]
Old 11-29-2000, 06:24 PM
perlmax90

in my opinion you can never be to low

isn't the body kit enough. i know some people that put on body kits and get big rims so the car looks slamed but is for from it. if it was me i would still lower it just so its trully slamed, but not every one agrees with me on lowering cars on the bbs.

Old 11-29-2000, 06:41 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Yes, BUT.........

like I said, you lower your car 2" plus without the ability to raise it back up and I'll see you in the shop in a while with a ripped up undercarrige and f'ed up Cat conv. cause the cover got ripped off!!! but really it depends where you live, me I'm in the city, so 1.5" is enough, but if you're in a country area sure go for 2", but remeber what I told you, I've seen it first hand and the owners arent too happy when you tell them they've stuff all ripped up underneath!!

Originally posted by perlmax90
isn't the body kit enough. i know some people that put on body kits and get big rims so the car looks slamed but is for from it. if it was me i would still lower it just so its trully slamed, but not every one agrees with me on lowering cars on the bbs.
Old 11-29-2000, 07:03 PM

Re: Yes, BUT.........

like I said, you lower your car 2" plus without the ability to raise it back up and I'll see you in the shop in a while with a ripped up undercarrige and f'ed up Cat conv. cause the cover got ripped off!!! but really it depends where you live, me I'm in the city, so 1.5" is enough, but if you're in a country area sure go for 2", but remeber what I told you, I've seen it first hand and the owners arent too happy when you tell them they've stuff all ripped up underneath!!

Originally posted by perlmax90
I'd like to be conservative and keep it a bit higher, since a body kit makes your car looks nice anyhow, than have a f'ed up undercarrige. is 1.5" safe?
Old 11-29-2000, 07:09 PM

Re: Re: Yes, BUT.........

yeah...the front of mine is lowered 1.5 but not the back...yet... Susp. Tech. springs.. check this out: http://www.alamomotorsports.com
Old 11-29-2000, 07:14 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Hmmmm...

I was considering lowering the front only to! did you see any advantages to that?? like a little more power/torque since the weight ratio is now more towards the front end!! hmmmm, interesting.......

Originally posted by FAST4EN
yeah...the front of mine is lowered 1.5 but not the back...yet... Susp. Tech. springs.. check this out: http://www.alamomotorsports.com
Old 11-29-2000, 07:24 PM

I think that it would be a disadvantage to only lower the front. First of all the front end wouls sit lower than if the whole car was lowered making it easy to mess up the front lip. Plus the weight ratio would be real messed up. I assume that the maxima has a weight ratio of more in the front than back in the first place. I'm sure if you make that ratio worse you will have a worse handling car.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed.

Old 11-29-2000, 07:28 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Yeah, makes sense...

sorta like, over loading it!!! plus its better to have a low center of gravity all around.

Originally posted by chris92gxe
I think that it would be a disadvantage to only lower the front. First of all the front end wouls sit lower than if the whole car was lowered making it easy to mess up the front lip. Plus the weight ratio would be real messed up. I assume that the maxima has a weight ratio of more in the front than back in the first place. I'm sure if you make that ratio worse you will have a worse handling car.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed.