3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

i messed up, need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 10:11 PM

i messed up, need help

i was cleaning my engine today with gunk degreaser. ive done this like 3 times in the past and had no problems. i covered the distributor and the plugs and sprayed the engine. i rinsed it carefully and waited like 4 hrs for the engine to totally dry. i went to start the car, and there was this really rough idle. it almost sounded like the exhaust manifold was having problems. it couldnt be the studs or the manifolds because i replaced all that. it has to have something to do with the cleaner i guess. there is some smoke coming from cleaner that didnt totally get rinsed, but i dont think thats a problem. i have no idea whats wrong. any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:15 PM

Re: i messed up, need help

It'll probably go away once you drive the car around a bit..seems like some water needs to dry up.

You gotta get all that degreaser off. I've seen it light on fire when it was sprayed on a hot exhaust manifold (i didn't do it). Not only the fire hazard, but the smell of it is pretty bad.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:38 PM

Re: i messed up, need help

Originally posted by matt1sd
i was cleaning my engine today with gunk degreaser. ive done this like 3 times in the past and had no problems. i covered the distributor and the plugs and sprayed the engine. i rinsed it carefully and waited like 4 hrs for the engine to totally dry. i went to start the car, and there was this really rough idle. it almost sounded like the exhaust manifold was having problems. it couldnt be the studs or the manifolds because i replaced all that. it has to have something to do with the cleaner i guess. there is some smoke coming from cleaner that didnt totally get rinsed, but i dont think thats a problem. i have no idea whats wrong. any help would be appreciated. thanks.
run your car for a while and let the the engine get to normal temp. if you can try driving it around the block a few times and let the water evaporate, and it will allow the degreaser to burn off.

my car did that once and i drove it home with it idling rough, and there was tons of smoke coming from under the hood, and at ever red light my car stalled on me haha, but after it burnt off everything and stuff it started to run fine again
Old 05-16-2002, 10:39 PM

awww man, i used that garbage one time and the smell that was in the cabin of my car after i cleaned my engine made me not use it ever again.....gunk has the most awful smell ever and then it makes ya car stink for a few days...i wouldn't recommend my enemy to use that stuff...its works though..lol!!
Old 05-16-2002, 11:16 PM

yeah, that stuff stinks BAD. i got some on my hands and i washed my hands like 4 times and i can still smell it.
Old 05-16-2002, 11:23 PM

yeah, that stuff stinks BAD. i got some on my hands and i washed my hands like 4 times and i can still smell it.
i brush my teeth with gunk... i get all the ladies
Old 05-17-2002, 12:13 AM

When I wash my egine i leave it running and avoid hitting the electrical components like the crank angle sensor( or dist. depeending on the model, just make sure you get the ignition componentd) or the electrical fuse relays by your battery, never leave it wet, you need to start it right after, if not just leaveing it running.
Old 05-17-2002, 04:30 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

He said Gunk......

Originally posted by mykizism

i brush my teeth with gunk... i get all the ladies

Old 05-17-2002, 05:12 AM

If the smell is that bad with the Gunk degreaser >>

Originally posted by maxdout92se
awww man, i used that garbage one time and the smell that was in the cabin of my car after i cleaned my engine made me not use it ever again.....gunk has the most awful smell ever and then it makes ya car stink for a few days...i wouldn't recommend my enemy to use that stuff...its works though..lol!!
...try Simple Green. I've used it a few times with success. Plus, it's smells like sasafras.
Old 05-17-2002, 07:13 AM

simple green is what i use now and works good too....and for that post about keeping the engine running, i dunno about that, i mean sprayin all that cold water on a warm/hot engine (manifold at that) might not be good....just my guess, but that could cause it to crack or sumthin!! just my .02
Old 05-17-2002, 07:44 AM

Water causes electrical shorts, agreed? Agreed.
Electrical shorts occur when electricity is flowing, agreed? Agreed.
When your engine is runing, electricity is flowing, agreed? Agreed.

When your engine is running and your pour water onto it, there's a nice chance of a shortage, agreed? Agreed.

Spraying under your hood while the car is running will lead to a short. You are supposed to have the engine off. When you finish the final rinsing, you're supposed to wait a while until the water has evaporated a bit then wipe off all the water before it stains.

By no means should you spray water on a running engine. Or start your car right after your sprayed the engine down without drying it first.
Old 05-17-2002, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by Sudesh
Water causes electrical shorts, agreed? Agreed.
Electrical shorts occur when electricity is flowing, agreed? Agreed.
When your engine is runing, electricity is flowing, agreed? Agreed.

When your engine is running and your pour water onto it, there's a nice chance of a shortage, agreed? Agreed.

Spraying under your hood while the car is running will lead to a short. You are supposed to have the engine off. When you finish the final rinsing, you're supposed to wait a while until the water has evaporated a bit then wipe off all the water before it stains.

By no means should you spray water on a running engine. Or start your car right after your sprayed the engine down without drying it first.
good call
Old 05-17-2002, 09:06 AM

oh yeah btw i started my car this morning and it ran perfectly. so no problems anymore. but it does stink like degreaser in my cabin now...
Old 05-17-2002, 09:31 AM

oh yeah btw i started my car this morning and it ran perfectly. so no problems anymore. but it does stink like degreaser in my cabin now...
the smell will slowly go away in a couple days. if you want it gone soon, rinse it with water alone.