3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Will this wing fit??

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 05:34 AM

Will this wing fit??

will this wing fit the max it is 60" wide
Old 05-17-2002, 07:35 AM

My touring wing is 62", it isn't installed yet, but I know 62" will fit...i think it has like 2-4" overhang, but not sure...my 62" looks good though when I rest it on the trunk...

damn it, I have to get that installed...I've had it for 7 months now, and it's still in my basement!
Old 05-17-2002, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by drsprite
My touring wing is 62", it isn't installed yet, but I know 62" will fit...i think it has like 2-4" overhang, but not sure...my 62" looks good though when I rest it on the trunk...

damn it, I have to get that installed...I've had it for 7 months now, and it's still in my basement!
Why don't you install it? Laziness, or do you feel you have to have someone else do it?

A 60" JSP touring wing will fit on the back of your Maxima with minimal overhang. Which is good, if you're like me and don't care for the overhang. If you want it to hang out from either side, you should go with the bigger 62" though. The trunk is 58" wide I believe...
Old 05-17-2002, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by nismo1989

Why don't you install it? Laziness, or do you feel you have to have someone else do it?

A 60" JSP touring wing will fit on the back of your Maxima with minimal overhang. Which is good, if you're like me and don't care for the overhang. If you want it to hang out from either side, you should go with the bigger 62" though. The trunk is 58" wide I believe...
I have a factory spoiler on there right now, and the body shop said there are 10 holes I would have to fill, and would be better if I bought a new trunk lid? I am trying to keep the cost down to a minimal...should some good old Bondo take care of the holes? Plus I have to get it painted...what do you suggest? New trunk lid? Bondo?

Thanks
Old 05-17-2002, 11:55 AM

I have a factory spoiler on there right now, and the body shop said there are 10 holes I would have to fill, and would be better if I bought a new trunk lid? I am trying to keep the cost down to a minimal...should some good old Bondo take care of the holes? Plus I have to get it painted...what do you suggest? New trunk lid? Bondo?

Thanks
Bondo. That's what I did. Oh and there are 9 holes but most of them are very small, about the size of your adverage screw. A little mesh and bondo and a lot of sanding...
Old 05-17-2002, 12:18 PM

Old 05-17-2002, 12:26 PM

Bondo. That's what I did. Oh and there are 9 holes but most of them are very small, about the size of your adverage screw. A little mesh and bondo and a lot of sanding...
What kind of wing do you have?
Old 05-17-2002, 12:54 PM

What kind of wing do you have?
It's a carbon fiber wing off of an R34 Skyline GT-R. I got it from a junkyard in Japan that sells parts on the net.
Old 05-17-2002, 01:48 PM

It's a carbon fiber wing off of an R34 Skyline GT-R. I got it from a junkyard in Japan that sells parts on the net.
whats the website
Old 05-17-2002, 02:05 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

umm

any body work professional will tell you its not a good Idea to just bondo the bigger holes, they should be welded first.
Old 05-19-2002, 02:59 PM

Re: umm

Originally posted by N34JZ
any body work professional will tell you its not a good Idea to just bondo the bigger holes, they should be welded first.
Any body work professional will tell you that the holes aren't big enough for that and it's not necessary. You're talking about a hole the size of a quarter.

pest: I'll have to get back to you on that website, it was my brother who found out about it and hooked it up but I'll try and get back to you on it.
Old 05-20-2002, 08:54 AM

Pest2001! where did find that wing you have pictured? I want one just like it

I drive a 3rd gen. Max, and either someone has the same stock wing like mine, or they got a really big,tall, nasty*** carbon looking one that just ruins the look, but that wing you posted would look awesome, I've been looking for a skyline GTR wing, but with no avail, and thats the closest anyone has come to the wing I'm lookin for. Where can I find it and how much? also do you know where I can get the covers for the rear lights, to make them sort of skylinsh, with those circle openings? Any ideas would help. Dont tell me to use the search, cause this where I'm at. Thanks
Old 05-20-2002, 08:58 AM

Re: Re: umm

Any body work professional will tell you that the holes aren't big enough for that and it's not necessary. You're talking about a hole the size of a quarter.

pest: I'll have to get back to you on that website, it was my brother who found out about it and hooked it up but I'll try and get back to you on it.
Yeah, that's what I did on Friday night. This post got me motivated enough to put my wing on myself. Took me all of 3 hours, not bad...It looks awesome, just need to schedule a painting appt now

Thanks nismo.

-Pat
Old 05-20-2002, 09:04 AM

Re: Pest2001! where did find that wing you have pictured? I want one just like it

Originally posted by Maximan8591
I drive a 3rd gen. Max, and either someone has the same stock wing like mine, or they got a really big,tall, nasty*** carbon looking one that just ruins the look, but that wing you posted would look awesome, I've been looking for a skyline GTR wing, but with no avail, and thats the closest anyone has come to the wing I'm lookin for. Where can I find it and how much? also do you know where I can get the covers for the rear lights, to make them sort of skylinsh, with those circle openings? Any ideas would help. Dont tell me to use the search, cause this where I'm at. Thanks

Sorry, meant to reply to this one also...

Go to http://www.wingswest.com/cf/search/SearchWings.cfm ...and then choose Nissan for Make, and for Description you want: MAXIMA 95-99 TOURING STYLE NO LIGHT.

That's the kind that I have, and it looks just like the one in the picture that pest attached.

My wing is 62" wide, I believe. I'll have pictures soon...My digital camera died 3 days ago so I need some batteries.
Old 05-20-2002, 09:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

would this look good on a maxima. it's the veilside ci wing that goes on the R32 skyline. (it's the yellow one)
http://www.veilside.com/veilsideusa/.../32gtrei.html#
Old 05-20-2002, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by mtcookson
would this look good on a maxima. it's the veilside ci wing that goes on the R32 skyline. (it's the yellow one)
http://www.veilside.com/veilsideusa/.../32gtrei.html#
Not sure, There isn't a picture of it from behind, just the diagonal side shot. I'm sure it would look pretty good though...

If you like it though, I don't see why not...as long as you're happy.
Old 05-20-2002, 09:23 AM

Re: Pest2001! where did find that wing you have pictured? I want one just like it

Originally posted by Maximan8591
My wing is from a GTR... but it's an R34 and you're probably looking for an R33, right? Well, the stock R33 wing won't fit right but the knock-offs fit fine if you can find one the right dimensions.

Oh and IMO the JSP looks better than the WW (doesn't have the curve) but that is STRICTLY my opinion. N34JZs WW wouring wing looks great on his Maxima. The JSP is quite a bit cheaper, though, and doesn't have the curve, if you like that look...
Old 05-20-2002, 09:25 AM

Re: Re: Pest2001! where did find that wing you have pictured? I want one just like it

My wing is from a GTR... but it's an R34 and you're probably looking for an R33, right? Well, the stock R33 wing won't fit right but the knock-offs fit fine if you can find one the right dimensions.

Oh and IMO the JSP looks better than the WW (doesn't have the curve) but that is STRICTLY my opinion. N34JZs WW wouring wing looks great on his Maxima. The JSP is quite a bit cheaper, though, and doesn't have the curve, if you like that look...
I think mine is from WW...I got it from this guy for cheap, and I was just too stoked to turn him down. It has the curve like you said, so I am assuming it's a WW...
Old 05-20-2002, 03:42 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Re: Re: umm

I had my holes welded, and that is the correct way to do it
Old 05-20-2002, 04:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: umm

I have the exact wing for sale ;p
Old 05-20-2002, 04:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: umm

I had my holes welded, and that is the correct way to do it
It's one way you can do it, but it's not the "correct way".
Old 05-20-2002, 05:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: umm

Originally posted by White93SE

It's one way you can do it, but it's not the "correct way".
Well, then is there an actual "Correct" way? I just bondo'd my holes. 4 people told me to do so, nismo was one of them, and 2 people said to weld. Well, since I don't know how to weld...I went with majority..

What would be the correct way? Buy a new trunk lid?
Old 05-20-2002, 05:52 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: umm

Well, then is there an actual "Correct" way? I just bondo'd my holes. 4 people told me to do so, nismo was one of them, and 2 people said to weld. Well, since I don't know how to weld...I went with majority..

What would be the correct way? Buy a new trunk lid?

Did you paint over those holes? Bondo absorbs water....put two and two together
Old 05-20-2002, 05:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: umm

Did you paint over those holes? Bondo absorbs water....put two and two together
No not yet. I was told to primer them before they get painted, so I plan on doing that before.
Old 05-20-2002, 07:41 PM

Bondo & welding

Hey, I've done alot of body work to other cars, and now I took off my stock wing and have the same 9 holes. I was thinking that the 4 small ones would prob be ok with just the mesh and bondo right? And the bigger ones need to be welded. But everytime that I have welded a hole shut, it was from the inside --meaning from the inside of the trunk lid is what you weld the piece of metal to. Then I put the bondo over top of that and sanded and primed on the outside and painted. If this is correct, how to I get to the 4 big holes (2 on each side of trunk)? Because our trunks are a 2 layer metal, the outside one and the inside one. So do I hazvae to cut the inside layer open so I can weld the piece of metal over the big holes??
Old 05-21-2002, 05:07 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Re: Bondo & welding

Originally posted by djmayhem
Hey, I've done alot of body work to other cars, and now I took off my stock wing and have the same 9 holes. I was thinking that the 4 small ones would prob be ok with just the mesh and bondo right? And the bigger ones need to be welded. But everytime that I have welded a hole shut, it was from the inside --meaning from the inside of the trunk lid is what you weld the piece of metal to. Then I put the bondo over top of that and sanded and primed on the outside and painted. If this is correct, how to I get to the 4 big holes (2 on each side of trunk)? Because our trunks are a 2 layer metal, the outside one and the inside one. So do I hazvae to cut the inside layer open so I can weld the piece of metal over the big holes??
you have to take a hole saw type bit and drill like a half inch bigger then the hole. and yeah thats how mine were done, welded from underneath and almost flush and then bondo to make it smooth , I bet in a few years my trunk will look way better, because it was done that way.
Old 05-21-2002, 05:59 AM

Re: Re: Bondo & welding

you have to take a hole saw type bit and drill like a half inch bigger then the hole. and yeah thats how mine were done, welded from underneath and almost flush and then bondo to make it smooth , I bet in a few years my trunk will look way better, because it was done that way.
It's really all in how it is prepped. If it were a fender or something like that, then I would do it that way too, but it's a trunk lid and all that isn't really necessary.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:02 PM

You guys are dumb asses, all you have to do is weld the holds with a wire feed, sand them smooth, prime, then paint. Christ, it is NOT difficult.
Old 05-21-2002, 09:18 PM

this is kind of ot but, you know you don't really need to blow up on people like that "you guys ar dumb asses". why don't you just be like, well you guys don't really need to take that many steps to do this. just use a wire feed. this is a lot of the reasons there are so many flames going on around here. just thought i'd let you know. just in case anyone is getting sick of getting flamed around here go to www.nissanx.com formerly known as www.maximanet.com. It's flame free and everyone is nice around there. We need more 3rd gens too.
Old 05-21-2002, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by mtcookson
this is kind of ot but, you know you don't really need to blow up on people like that "you guys ar dumb asses". why don't you just be like, well you guys don't really need to take that many steps to do this. just use a wire feed. this is a lot of the reasons there are so many flames going on around here. just thought i'd let you know. just in case anyone is getting sick of getting flamed around here go to www.nissanx.com formerly known as www.maximanet.com. It's flame free and everyone is nice around there. We need more 3rd gens too.
If people weren't dumbasses there would be no flames; you yourself have been the recipient of many flames. As logic would conclude, that would mean, yes, you too are a dumbass!
Old 05-21-2002, 09:47 PM

no, no. if people weren't mean to the dumasses, like myself, then there wouldn't be any flaming... ever.
Old 05-22-2002, 05:40 AM

You guys are dumb asses, all you have to do is weld the holds with a wire feed, sand them smooth, prime, then paint. Christ, it is NOT difficult.
F' off, dikhead. He obviously wants to do it himself and doesn't have welding experience. Eat **** dumb@ss...
Old 05-22-2002, 01:35 PM

F' off, dikhead. He obviously wants to do it himself and doesn't have welding experience. Eat **** dumb@ss...
Took the words out of my mouth.

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2002, 05:49 PM

hey hey now all i asked about was a wing and if it fits so stop the hating
Old 05-22-2002, 06:38 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

If people weren't dumbasses there would be no flames; you yourself have been the recipient of many flames. As logic would conclude, that would mean, yes, you too are a dumbass!
thats was totally uncalled for but kinda funny
Old 05-22-2002, 07:29 PM

yeah i'm a real dumbass. btw i put my tranny in tonight. just need to get the wheels back on and stuff and i'm going to go drive it tomorrow. can dumbasses do that? i'm not sure if they can... please help me figure this out cause i'm a dumbass.
Old 05-23-2002, 03:45 AM

Well anyways. I need to have my wing painted, should I have it painted with it on or should I take it off and have my trunk painted and the wing separate?

I kinda hope they can paint it with it on.
Old 05-23-2002, 04:41 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Well anyways. I need to have my wing painted, should I have it painted with it on or should I take it off and have my trunk painted and the wing separate?

I kinda hope they can paint it with it on.
thell probably want to paint it with it off, s it will be easier, besides its not that hard to take off, just four screws
Old 05-23-2002, 05:38 AM

thell probably want to paint it with it off, s it will be easier, besides its not that hard to take off, just four screws
yeah, they can still match the paint with the wing off...
Old 05-23-2002, 06:36 AM

Yeah I know, it's not a problem.

How long does it take for something like that to dry? Will my car have to be in the shop overnight? or is it a 1 day deal?

I hate being without a car for a night oh well

Quick Reply: Will this wing fit??