3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Change fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 02:33 PM
xlu
Newbie - Just Registered

Change fuel injectors

It took me one week to replace 2 fuel injectors of my 90' maxima.

First day( Friday afternoon): disconnected all of the hoses and electric connectors to the intake plenum. took off the intake plenum (upper and lower). Took off the fuel rail of the injectors. Noticed that the mark on the injectors is blue. (I did not find the mark before I took off the lower intake plenum. It's too dirty.) 2 inectors need to be replaced since their resistence is not in the range 10-14 ohm). Cleaned the intake plenums. Cleaned the throttle body. Tried to take off the injectors from the fuel rail (screw driver, plier, penetration oil..... no help), failed.

Saturday: Bought another brand of penetration oil. Applid a bunch oil to the bolts of the injectors. Waited for a long time. Tried to take them off. Failed again.

Sunday: Brought the fuel rail to Pepboys. The big guy tried several tools and then said sorry to me. Brought the rail to Autozone. A nice guy tried screw driver. Failed. Suggested me to use a drill. Before I left, he asked another guy and got some idea. He tried a special plier. Locked it to the bolts and then turn. Wow! It worked! Took off all of the injectors (it's hard). Sonicated them in acetone.

Monday: Ordered 2 fuel injectors and the gaskets. Selected UPS next day air. I was told the injectors come with all the seals. Got 10 o-rings from the store (5 large and 5 small). I thought I only need 8 (4 large and 4 samll). I bought one more each just for extra. Bought 12 bolts and washer for the injectors (The old ones can not be used any more).

Tuesday: Got the injectors and gaskets. Opened the injector boxes, didn't find any o-rings. Didn't find anybody to help me buy o-rings.
Have to use one set of old o-rings (one large, one small). Pushed all the injectors into the fuel rail ( really hard, tried to apply fuel gas, no help). Screwed the bolts to the fuel rail. Didn't want to get another fuel rail although one thread was broken. Tried to put the fuel rail back to the cylinde heads. One bolt (w/ washer and spacer) fell into a hole (or gap?) between the alternator and the waterpump. tried tweezers, flexible magnectic tool, only got the washer.

Wedsday: Got somebody help me to buy the bolt and spacer. Put everything back except the AAC valve. The gasket was broken when put the AAC valve back. Went to the nissan dealer, was told there is no gasket between the aac valve and the intake plenum (surprised!). Went to the Autozone. Bought a piece of gasket paper. Cut it to fit the AAC valve. Put the AAC valve back to the intake. Connected all the hoses and connectors. Cranked the engine for a few times. Started the engine. It ran for a few seconds and then stopped. Checked all the hoses and connectors. Didn't find any problem. Started it again and again. Heard noise near the spark plug. Found intake leakage. Too late to go on with it.

The 7th Day (Thursday): Took off all of the hoses and connectors. Took off the intake plenum. Took off the fuel rail for the injectors. Then put all these stuff back to position again. Applied 2-3 ft lb more torque on each bolt than Chilton's specification. Started the engine. Wow!! It worked. Did balance test. All the 6 cylinder are working now. Tested drive. The idle is about 1000rpm. To be adjusted.

I need a rest now.
Old 05-23-2002, 04:02 PM

Sounds like quite the adventure.
Old 05-23-2002, 05:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

spiff...sux 4 me cause anytime i gots 2 to a repair only have a couple days at most cause the max is my only car...sharing is good
Old 05-24-2002, 06:45 AM

Re: Change fuel injectors

[QUOTE Went to the nissan dealer, was told there is no gasket between the aac valve and the intake plenum (surprised!). Went to the Autozone. Bought a piece of gasket paper. Cut it to fit the AAC valve. Put the AAC valve back to the intake. Connected all the hoses and connectors. Cranked the engine for a few times. Started the engine. It ran for a few seconds and then stopped. Checked all the hoses and connectors. Didn't find any problem. Started it again and again. Heard noise near the spark plug. Found intake leakage. Too late to go on with it.

The 7th Day (Thursday): Took off all of the hoses and connectors. Took off the intake plenum. Took off the fuel rail for the injectors. Then put all these stuff back to position again. Applied 2-3 ft lb more torque on each bolt than Chilton's specification. Started the engine. Wow!! It worked. Did balance test. All the 6 cylinder are working now. Tested drive. The idle is about 1000rpm. To be adjusted.

I need a rest now. [/B][/QUOTE]

Things never go as planned..usually anyway. You need to find a new dealershipp..no gasket at the AAC to manifold? Silly parts guy. I need to do my injectors too. Not looking forward to it! Might just deal witht the miss until I can do the heads, porting, polishing, cams, bigger injectors and ECU all at once! That will be a while.
Glad it finally worked out.
Old 05-24-2002, 07:43 AM
xlu
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Change fuel injectors

Adjusted the idle to 750 this morning. The car runs great. Hard work paid off eventually.
Old 05-24-2002, 07:49 AM
bjyang

i still have to do mine yet!

Old 05-24-2002, 10:15 AM

So what is needed to do a good injector chage? Seals and extra parts? I just figured I just needed the injectors and thats it.
Old 05-24-2002, 11:27 AM
xlu
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by JDwyer2821
So what is needed to do a good injector chage? Seals and extra parts? I just figured I just needed the injectors and thats it.
injector, upper o-ring (big), lower o-ring (small)
Old 05-24-2002, 02:04 PM

Upper intake plenum gasket and some other gaskets prob. As for the O-rings you should lube them up with light coat of grease so they dont pinch when you put the injectors in... otherwise it might leak fuel and cause misfiring like mine did!

Originally posted by JDwyer2821
Old 05-24-2002, 04:59 PM

Beck Arnley makes a kit to do a full fuel injector tune up:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ht=pintle+caps