3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Strut Question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2000, 12:06 PM
davis449

Like Sarah, I'm having that clunking noise coming from up front on my '93 SE. The weird thing is about three weeks ago I had the struts replaced. Any Ideas?

Old 12-01-2000, 12:34 PM

hmmm....

I odn't know what it is, but I'm intrigued. About 2 weeks ago I slid into a curb and had to replace the front right control arm, strut mount, and end link fastner. The strut is also bent -- but Kaleb and I are putting Tokikos on both my fronts tonight -- so for now, I'm riding on a *slightly* bent strut.

BUT, I also noticed a "clunk" now over msall bumps/ripples in thepavement. This was not there before I got all this fixed. It will be interesting to see what KAleb and I find tonight. I breifly checked underneath and everything loks fine (wheel is on tight, FSTB is secure, endlink fastner is tight, nothing blatently wrong with strut, etc).

Hmmmm...

Ryan
ryan@fobart.net
Old 12-01-2000, 01:00 PM
Maxima Princess

My mechanic told me that my struts weren't too bad (but I am going to replace them before they are completely shot) but he said the clunking noise was from the pad in my strut housing being shot.
Old 12-01-2000, 01:03 PM

I'd believe that...well see what happens once I change mine...n/m

Originally posted by Sarah91se
My mechanic told me that my struts weren't too bad (but I am going to replace them before they are completely shot) but he said the clunking noise was from the pad in my strut housing being shot.
Old 12-01-2000, 05:13 PM

The pad that goes between the top strut mount and the body is very thin. I think that if it were bad it would only cause a squeak, not a clunk, if the strut mount nuts are tight. If everything is tightened down, I would suspect the bearing in the top strut mount. Remember that the strut rotates (on this bearing, which supports the weight of the car) when you steer. If I had any noise from the front end, I would replace these bearings when replacing struts, and/or, springs.
Old 12-01-2000, 05:32 PM

ok, if you just replaced them there is a good chance this could be the problem. it happened to me with the rear. the upper strut mounts have to be aligned a specific way. you need to have a manual to see what im talking about. this is not the case for many cars, so thats why it may go undetected. on mine the noise was a loud clunking noise that sounded as though the springs were popping in and out of the spring seat. i think this is actually what was happening. you my want to take a look at this even though it is a pain in the *** to do.
Originally posted by davis449
Like Sarah, I'm having that clunking noise coming from up front on my '93 SE. The weird thing is about three weeks ago I had the struts replaced. Any Ideas?
Old 12-01-2000, 05:41 PM

actually im not positive it is the same for the front. i gotta look in my manual that is at home.
Originally posted by thebull
ok, if you just replaced them there is a good chance this could be the problem. it happened to me with the rear. the upper strut mounts have to be aligned a specific way. you need to have a manual to see what im talking about. this is not the case for many cars, so thats why it may go undetected. on mine the noise was a loud clunking noise that sounded as though the springs were popping in and out of the spring seat. i think this is actually what was happening. you my want to take a look at this even though it is a pain in the *** to do.
Originally posted by davis449
Old 12-02-2000, 03:14 PM

Well...Kaleb and I replaced my front struts last night...

with Tokiko Blues...I didn't hear any clunking afterwards last night. I'll keep an ear out -- I wasn't listening too closely last night.

Hopefully, this took care of it.

Ryan
ryan@fobart.net
Old 12-04-2000, 06:53 PM
davis449

All of your replies have helped me a lot, I'm inclined to believe that the pad or the bearing is at fault here. Oh well, i am taking it to the shop tomorrow and we will see what the problem is. I will post the mechanics' replies. Thanks for the support!

Old 12-04-2000, 07:52 PM
Maxima Princess

well I just ordered my upper insulators, bump stops & lower spring seats from Courtesy. I will be ordering the Struts & Strut mounts from Tirerack.com. As soon as I get all this stuff replaced I will let you guys know how it works out as well.
Old 12-05-2000, 01:26 PM
davis449

I just got my car back from the shop, they have a part on order, they said it was the right front strut mount that was making the thudding noise. I will have it replaced by Thurs. probably. Then we will see if that fixes the problem.