3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

2nd Timing Belt Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 03:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

2nd Timing Belt Change

You know guys, it seem slike it was only a while ago that I got my timing belt changed and just 2 weeks ago, I had it done again.

Here's the story:

I had been having a slow leak in my radiator for a while and I couldn't find where it was coming from (I posted about this and got some good suggestions, BTW). Well, I live in Waycross, GA. It is about 1 hour north of Jacksonville, FL. Anyway, I drove to J-ville with my roommate about 3 weeks ago to see his dad who was in the hospital. Well, the car ran hot yet again. So, we went in and saw his dad. We stayed a couple hours and when I cam out, we filled the radiator back up with water. I drove home. When I pulled into the driveway, I had a loud roar coming from right in front of the passenger's side of the car. I couldn't hear it from inside the car from all the sound deadening and the stereo playing some serious tunes. Anyway, I pop the hood and can fell my car was so hot it felt like I had stepped into a sauna. I let it sit overnight and took it to the shop the next morning. The mechanice listened to it and asked me if I had been having low fluid levels in the car. He checked the water pump and as he thought, it has "spun a bearing." Well, I had planned to have a tune up anyway, so I got the mechanic to do it all at once to save time and money. Since they were down there, I got them to go ahead and replace a few other things. They replaced the following:

Timing Belt
Tensioner
Water Pump
Upper & Lower Radiator Hose
Valve Cover Gaskets
Drive Belts
PCV Valve
Thermostat
Plugs
Wires
Cap
Rotor Button
Fuel Filter
O2 Sensor
Cleaned Throttle Body
Cleaned Injectors
Cleaned K&N Filter
Lubed chassis

Anyway, the car runs like a champ now. I had already replaced most of this about 40K miles ago. But, to save labor, I just went ahead and had it all done. It amazes me what changing the timing belt will do for the car. It gives it a "second wind." I drive the pi$$ out of the car. I average 500 miles a week on it and don't even drive it on the weekends. I drive the 01 SE then.

I still say that my 3rd Gen has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. It looks sleek and can wax that *** when necessary.

Anyway, just wanted to share my ups and downs from the past few weeks.

C.D.
Old 05-27-2002, 05:22 PM

How much did all of that cost you...parts and labour?
Old 05-27-2002, 06:24 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

hmmm should've had them do the main oil seal and the cam oil seals.

also what in the chassie did they actually lube? no grease fittings..unless u have aftermkt parts.
Old 05-27-2002, 06:53 PM

You'll be set for another 60,000 miles now, how many miles do you have?
Old 05-27-2002, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by Craigatitus
How much did all of that cost you...parts and labour?
It was $891.74 for everything. The same shop did the stuff last time and it was a little cheaper last time. This time they changed the 02 sensor and the valve cover gaskets. They also went up on their labor charge. Labor is fairly reasonable down here. They charge $49.50 per hour.
Old 05-27-2002, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by DanNY
hmmm should've had them do the main oil seal and the cam oil seals.

also what in the chassie did they actually lube? no grease fittings..unless u have aftermkt parts.
They were going to change the seals, but I actually had to pick the car up early. Some nimrod working on the road crew for the county down here cut through a gas main and they had to close the block down. The shop called me at work and said I had 30 minutes to pick the car up or the business would be closed for 3 days while they replaced the damaged stuff. I will most likely get it changed in the next few weeks. I don't know how much it was going to cost, because everything was being done at once. The guy warranties all his work and the parts (as long as they come to him via the local Nissan dealer). Any ideas on the parts and labor? I have never had it done and they actually suggested it. They took some before and after pics of the inside of where they cleaned the throttle body and it amazed me. Damn dirty sludge was everywhere.
Old 05-27-2002, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by davis4005
You'll be set for another 60,000 miles now, how many miles do you have?
Man, my car is hurtin from all the miles. I have 155k on it. I average around 28k a year on it.