3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

My baby is getting some extra special care today :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2000, 06:16 AM

So lastnight me and a friend are just cruising around Boise. I had just got done getting my *** kicked at Tekken Tag
We were bored so we said screw it let head back to my place and watch TV for abit.
On the way home i decide to take a fairly busy street and one of the main streets to the interstate. When i go to get onto Fairview what do i see but a Saturn (no idea what kind) with Yellow racing stripes, Intrax stickers, and a loud exhaust. Louder than my Glasspack! hah
I couldn't help but get next to him and rev at him.
I had my chance to show up a pretty nice saturn with my DIRTY! Maxima.
I was kind of joking around with my friend reving at him not paying attention when he guns it and takes off like a bat out of hell. I was like woah hey there turbo. So i punch it and he gets about 2 car lengths on me when i just started reeling him in. He shot off pretty quick but he had nowhere near the power and midrange the VG does.

I ended up getting behind him and he got next to a Ciciv i believe (couldn't tell because it was ricey, vinyl covers, no emblems, 2 rear 5spoke rims with donuts on front. HAH

They took off and i stayed right behind them no problem. And i smelt something bad from one of them. I have no idea what Nitrous smells like but one of them was either on the bottle or running really really rich high octane.
Although neither of them took of like they were on the bottle cause it was nothing for me to keep up with them. Unless they had a very poor setup.

This morning i started my car up, i ran her hard lastnight. let my baby warm up, left to get some food.. man she was purring like a kitten, nice smooth shifts from the tranny. Ahh it was like shifting through water. You have to love these cars. Makes me almost think twice about doing the VG-T swap this summer. I love my baby, and i want to be with her till the end!.
we'll see though.

sorry i'm ranting but damn
I LOVE MY CAR!!
-kisses car-
Old 12-02-2000, 06:25 AM

Ok two things:
1. as for the NOS "smell", Ever been to the dentist? The NOS that we run is a "less refined" version of what the dentist gives you. The stuff that we run in our cars would kill you.

2. Are you married to your car? If it was an option, I would be. j/k Long live the 3rd gen MAX!
Old 12-02-2000, 06:31 AM

lol
i don't go to the dentist very often so i don't know.
It didn't really smell like exhaust. I think it was NOS but damn it must have been a really crappy setup else he should have walked all over me. When he got the 2 lengths, i just reeled him in and walked past him easy. Got to lenghts then slowed down cause of a car infront of me.

And YES i would marry my car if i could!!
believe me my GF has tough competition
Old 12-02-2000, 06:45 AM

HAHA..

Yeah I'm trying to think of other than going to the densist, "what" NOS smells like to give you an example. Umm..I'll post wht I think of something for ya. Otherwise, anyone else have an example for Sith?
Old 12-02-2000, 06:47 AM

do they have a clueless smile?
cause that's what i am
CLUELESS
haw
I'm in an exceptionally good mood this morning. I think i'll blow some of the 300 bucks that i have in my wallet on my car today !!
maybe

I'm definetly cleaning it!!!
Old 12-02-2000, 07:49 AM

NOS does not have a smell. I'm pretty sure that it is scentless. The difference between the dentist and car NOS in that for cars they add sulfer oxide. This is what is so dangerous. Not that NOS is so great for you anyway. Well as far as I know when I run NOS I have never smelled anything different except for a little more burnt rubber. HA ha. Oh well, maybe some has a scent to it.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed.

Old 12-02-2000, 09:32 AM
STFU n00b!

NOs has a weird smell to it.. at least the dentist's NOS does.. when I had braces in high school, I spent enough time sucking on that stuff to air up a blimp!
they may add some kind of smelling agent to it though so you can tell it's on.. (like natural gas.. that smell you get on Nat gas is added at the refinery so it can be detected when there's a leak. real nat gas doesn't have much of a smell, but propane and butane both do.. I lab-grade bottles of that stuff at work, and the stuff has a completely different odor than the junk you use to run your gas grills.. just thought I'd throw that in..)

I doubt if you would smell NOS on a car when it's running though.. the chemical reactions in the engine pretty much destroy the NOS when it goes through. it basically comes out in the same chemicals as regular gasoline and air mix does. (since air is ~85% nitrogen and 19% oxygen anyway)
grrrr, I've had too much chemistry!

probably what you DID smell was someone burning up their clutch trying to slip it at 4-5000 rpm trying to keep up with you.. the older civics had a very light clutch and flywheel and were pretty hard to drive until you got used to them. when I'd drive my dad's 92 civic around, it took me a week to get used to the clutch in it.. (my old truck was a stab the gas and dump the clutch type of deal)
blah blah blah.. it was probably clutch smoke.. it's a nasty smell.. almost like burning brakes, only a little diff.
Old 12-02-2000, 10:15 AM

well it was more of a nasty exhaust smell. Not like a burning the clutch smell.
but ya i didn't think they were on NOS because they were slow. ONly reason it popped in my head was the weird exhaust smell. It smelt more like reallly high octane not getting burnt all the way.
-shrug-

I have a new ? though.
I went to the parts house, and the guy was all about AutoLite Double Platinum spark plugs, and i was leaning more towards NGK V-Power.
Which do you guys think are better? I know NGK's are said to be better in the VG's but he was going on and on so i left with nothing. Wanted your guys opinions first.

Also they had a set of 7mm NGK Belgon plug wires for $92. Should i get them or get the 8mm?