3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

maf replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 10:14 PM

maf replacement

s'posin i have a really good reason to replace my stock maf on my 90gxe, anyone have any suggestions as to how i could improve upon the stock maf. i saw skymax's really subtle, mysterious mention of his modded maf, and was wondering if you all had any suggestions as to something a lil better than stock. should i expect to pay $300 if i go with a new maf?
Old 06-01-2002, 12:46 AM

vg30et?
Old 06-01-2002, 02:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: maf replacement

Originally posted by MaMasMax
s'posin i have a really good reason to replace my stock maf on my 90gxe, anyone have any suggestions as to how i could improve upon the stock maf. i saw skymax's really subtle, mysterious mention of his modded maf, and was wondering if you all had any suggestions as to something a lil better than stock. should i expect to pay $300 if i go with a new maf?
if you're looking for a used but still working one for your car, let me know
it'll definitely be much less than the new $300+ price

craigbrace@hotmail.com
Old 06-01-2002, 06:13 PM

MAF upgrade

If you need one replaced, going with Craig is your best bet. If your looking to upgrade, Mustang Cobra MAF recomended. Of course it'd be a good idea to get an ecu upgrade with it. But, with that thought I doubt your looking to put that much into it, although it's an option none the less.
Old 06-01-2002, 11:01 PM

Re: MAF upgrade

doesnt venom make a mass air flow sensor for our cars
Old 06-02-2002, 09:56 AM

Re: MAF upgrade

Originally posted by Siege
... Mustang Cobra MAF recomended. Of course it'd be a good idea to get an ecu upgrade with it ...
i appreciate the advise. well, i'm a bit lacking in mods, and correct me if i'm wrong but ecu's are custom programmed for the mods you have on your car. i think most would benefit more if they were to add the ecu upgrade last, to fully supplement their mods. but, am i correct to presume ecu's can be reprogrammed later to match the new mods on your max? i might look into it if the gains would be decent and the ecu can be reprogrammed for a respectable price.
Old 06-02-2002, 07:43 PM

You're right....

I mentioned the Cobra MAF as an option only because you had asked for suggestions and it was not established if you NEEDED a MAF or wanted to upgrade. I thought that if you were going to NEED a MAF, you would buy from Craig. If you were upgrading, you would had already made several other modifications which had led to wanting to upgrade your MAF which subsequently would benifit from an ecu upgrade as well. You can have the ecu reprogramed for a small portion of the initial cost for the chip installation by JWT. But, you are right. I apologize for the confusion.
Old 06-02-2002, 09:24 PM

Re: You're right....

would you laugh if i told you there's duct tape covering the small hole in my maf? i dunno if i want to performance mod my max with nearly 200k miles on it though... but i know that if i ever start, i'll love it and not want to quit... thanks for the suggestions
Old 06-02-2002, 09:27 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

just buy Craig's or goto the junkyard and get one...you don't need an upgraded MAF at you current modding stage.
Old 06-03-2002, 06:19 AM

yea but if you do decide to start to mod your car there is absolutely no sense in spending the money on a stock MAF which you will only upgrade later. Why spend money on a MAF twice? Just get the upgrade and if you decide to keep modding so be it
Old 06-03-2002, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by iuillustrious
yea but if you do decide to start to mod your car there is absolutely no sense in spending the money on a stock MAF which you will only upgrade later. Why spend money on a MAF twice? Just get the upgrade and if you decide to keep modding so be it
What the hell are you talking about? and MaMasMax is right.. I have been labeled mysterious mods max man.. lol
Old 06-03-2002, 10:57 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by iuillustrious
Just get the upgrade and if you decide to keep modding so be it
and please tell me how easy it will be to upgrade to this "upgraded" MAF....I'm waiting.........still waiting.....
Old 06-03-2002, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by DA-MAX

and please tell me how easy it will be to upgrade to this "upgraded" MAF....I'm waiting.........still waiting.....
It's not easy. DA-MAX.. do you know which MAF I was using? I think I told maybe 2-3 people.. not sure if it got spread to you or not.
Old 06-03-2002, 11:37 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by SkyMax
It's not easy. DA-MAX.. do you know which MAF I was using? I think I told maybe 2-3 people.. not sure if it got spread to you or not.
I know....but no, I'm not sure which one you used...you're secret is safe! but I've read about a few people who pieced it together JWT's "450 package" on Zcar.com....I think they used the Granatelli MAF(I think it was for the 36lb. injectors??) from the Cobra forgot which injectors they matched it with though, I'm guessing one of the two Nismo injector choices....
Old 06-04-2002, 04:55 AM

Re: Re: You're right....

Originally posted by MaMasMax
would you laugh if i told you there's duct tape covering the small hole in my maf? i dunno if i want to performance mod my max with nearly 200k miles on it though... but i know that if i ever start, i'll love it and not want to quit... thanks for the suggestions
Refer to my sig
Believe me, you're not the only duct-taped Max out there
Old 06-04-2002, 07:36 AM

from what i recall, it's off of a *secret* nissan, 240 or 300Z (tt?) i'm thinkin... all i know is that it regulates air delivery and i'm thinkin on a twin turbo it's gonna need lots o air.
lots o air = maf that'll say, "GIMME AIR", aka 300z tt
faster car = more air and fuel delivery (among other things)
but i could be wrong because i know very lil about mysterious mods or even maximas hah, i'm just learnin as i go. as i drool over all of your maximas, i can't help but wonder what kind of maf that is.
Old 07-01-2002, 04:02 PM

Re: You're right....

OK, I was also thinkin about doing this mod to my car, But one of the things that I'm not sure about is, does it matter what year cobra you get the MAF from? Or are there numbers on the MAF that you need to check?
Old 07-01-2002, 06:05 PM

Something you're forgetting....

Unless you can successfully wire in the Cobra MAF and are willing to take a chance on one working out of a junk yard, you are much better off buying from JWT who also sends you the wiring adaptor. Remember, you also need proper fuel management. Otherwise you'll subsequently cause the engine to burn lean. Hm, I thought this thread died already?
Old 07-01-2002, 07:49 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

What the hell are you talking about? and MaMasMax is right.. I have been labeled mysterious mods max man.. lol
i remember that sig pic...LSP right?
i was there doing the 2K and 4th gen fog rewires.
ahh the memories.
Old 07-01-2002, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by DanNY

i remember that sig pic...LSP right?
i was there doing the 2K and 4th gen fog rewires.
ahh the memories.
Yup, that was LSP 2000 Meet. I remember that day pretty well because Hot Import Nights was the same night in Meadowlands, NJ. I also remember you doing the fog-light rewires.. which reminds me.. You still have my mini screw-drivers!!
Old 07-01-2002, 09:59 PM

Re: Re: MAF upgrade

Originally posted by kingrye
doesnt venom make a mass air flow sensor for our cars
It suchs some major A$$... sorry Venom sucks minus the Venom 400 digitally controlled nitrous setup for $1500.00

Jared
Old 07-02-2002, 08:13 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Yup, that was LSP 2000 Meet. I remember that day pretty well because Hot Import Nights was the same night in Meadowlands, NJ. I also remember you doing the fog-light rewires.. which reminds me.. You still have my mini screw-drivers!!
it's still in the parking lot!
if u go back they MIGHT be there..LOL
sorry man..i remember giving it to Al to use..and poof!
wtf!?!?
Old 07-02-2002, 02:03 PM

Re: Something you're forgetting....

Originally posted by Siege
Unless you can successfully wire in the Cobra MAF and are willing to take a chance on one working out of a junk yard, you are much better off buying from JWT who also sends you the wiring adaptor. Remember, you also need proper fuel management. Otherwise you'll subsequently cause the engine to burn lean. Hm, I thought this thread died already?
Well I know that you need to do some other adjustments to the fuel system. But that wasnt what I asked I asked if it matters What year cobra the MAF is from.
Old 07-02-2002, 04:10 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Something you're forgetting....

Originally posted by TB-MaxSE-89
ut that wasnt what I asked I asked if it matters What year cobra the MAF is from.
go ask over on z31.com, they should know...no guys over here other than Nevin have done it and he has no tongue so he can't talk , so z31.com or zcar.com is your best bet.
Old 07-03-2002, 06:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

any one know what the wiring diagram is for a 94 maxima maf sensor
i need to know what each pin is thanx
Old 07-03-2002, 08:48 AM

Re: Re: Something you're forgetting....

Originally posted by TB-MaxSE-89

Well I know that you need to do some other adjustments to the fuel system. But that wasnt what I asked I asked if it matters What year cobra the MAF is from.
More people on this forum know the year MAF than you think. My point was simple, call JWT who sells the Cobra MAF with the wiring adaptor. Not only are you better off buying from them, but they can answere your questions and provide suggestions for other mods and adjustments to the engine which would accomodate the MAF effectively. I'm not being condensending, rather trying to help direct you to where you need to be focusing your questions especially considering the utterly limited number of individuals here that where even aware of this modification prior to this thread.
Old 07-03-2002, 06:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: Something you're forgetting....

Well thats better...I didnt understand why you were telling me about the one from JWT...So thats why I replyed back...I heard about this mod last summer some time but didnt want to deal with it then...Thanks for your help Ill check out the JWT sometime.