3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

VLSD in a manual transmission SE

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2002, 04:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

VLSD in a manual transmission SE

I have seen a lot of threads about the VLSD in the manual transmissions of our babies. So today while changing ball joints on my car, I did the rotation test and both tires spun the same direction confirming that I do have one. Does any one know the details on this? Is it a clutch setup or conical gears? If it is clutch, is there replacement clutch disks for them? The reason I ask is that I'm going to have new bearings and a synchro put into my transmission soon so I was thinking that this isn't working properly either. I think that because I was driving yesterday and I hit the gas hard while already rolling in first gear and I got rubber when I did. Mind you I'm running hard tires right now(89 hardness rating) and the motor was at about 3K RPM when I stomped on the gas but still....didn't seem right. Let me know your thoughts.
Old 06-08-2002, 06:43 PM

Re: VLSD in a manual transmission SE

Originally posted by bmw88rider
I have seen a lot of threads about the VLSD in the manual transmissions of our babies. So today while changing ball joints on my car, I did the rotation test and both tires spun the same direction confirming that I do have one. Does any one know the details on this? Is it a clutch setup or conical gears? If it is clutch, is there replacement clutch disks for them? The reason I ask is that I'm going to have new bearings and a synchro put into my transmission soon so I was thinking that this isn't working properly either. I think that because I was driving yesterday and I hit the gas hard while already rolling in first gear and I got rubber when I did. Mind you I'm running hard tires right now(89 hardness rating) and the motor was at about 3K RPM when I stomped on the gas but still....didn't seem right. Let me know your thoughts.
Did you have your max in gear? If not put it in gear then try
Old 06-08-2002, 08:37 PM

She was in gear. I had it in first gear and was accelerating to pass a car on the right because a car down the road from me a car was turning in my lane. I know my huge mod list(ummmmmm just a stock air box KN filter ) has added like 50 hp to the car...JK but seriously....I don't think I have that much torque at 3K.
Old 06-09-2002, 04:35 AM

She was in gear. I had it in first gear and was accelerating to pass a car on the right because a car down the road from me a car was turning in my lane. I know my huge mod list(ummmmmm just a stock air box KN filter ) has added like 50 hp to the car...JK but seriously....I don't think I have that much torque at 3K.
The way I check it is I go to a dirt parking lot and see if both wheels lose traction or a even better way is to find a steep up sloop thats dirt or sandy and givee it just enough gas so that traction is mildly lost. I do this on my girls driveway all the time and I can feel the power slip side to side trying to find traction.
Old 06-11-2002, 12:39 PM

It's a viscous coupling, kinda like an auto's torque converter. If you have a spare 800 bucks, drop in a Quaife Automatic Torque Biasing diff. Way better than the Viscous unit. Check the website. If you have the trans apart and have the cash, this is one of the best driveline upgrades you can make.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: VLSD in a manual transmission SE

Your test didn't prove anything. It is normal for both wheels to rotate even with a non-LS differential if both of the wheels are off the ground. The true test is when you try to restrain one wheel by holding on to it (at idle, of course). In a non-LS differential, the other wheel will spin faster when the wheel is restrained. In a LS differential, you will not be able to restrain the wheel, or the engine will start to labor as the torque builds up at the wheel you're restraining. Sorry if this isn't too clear.
Old 06-27-2002, 02:06 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: VLSD in a manual transmission SE

Normally with a lsd tranny, the wheels will turn in the SAME direction. In a non-lsd tranny or with a blown VLSD tranny, the wheels will turn yes, but in OPPOSITE directions.

Originally posted by Stephen Max

Your test didn't prove anything. It is normal for both wheels to rotate even with a non-LS differential if both of the wheels are off the ground. The true test is when you try to restrain one wheel by holding on to it (at idle, of course). In a non-LS differential, the other wheel will spin faster when the wheel is restrained. In a LS differential, you will not be able to restrain the wheel, or the engine will start to labor as the torque builds up at the wheel you're restraining. Sorry if this isn't too clear.
Old 06-27-2002, 02:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: VLSD in a manual transmission SE

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Normally with a lsd tranny, the wheels will turn in the SAME direction. In a non-lsd tranny or with a blown VLSD tranny, the wheels will turn yes, but in OPPOSITE directions.

Okay, maybe so. I'm thinking back to my experience with truck rear ends.
Old 06-28-2002, 11:24 AM

where?

Originally posted by male
It's a viscous coupling, kinda like an auto's torque converter. If you have a spare 800 bucks, drop in a Quaife Automatic Torque Biasing diff. Way better than the Viscous unit. Check the website. If you have the trans apart and have the cash, this is one of the best driveline upgrades you can make.
I checked Quaife's site and says Nissan Maxima 95-01...where is it for our cars?
Old 06-28-2002, 06:58 PM

yes they advertise it for the 95+ but the truth is the quaife should fit into an open VG/VE manual tranny. they all have the same RS5FOA tranny code. i am unsure as to whether you could replace a viscous LSD unit with a quaife unit in the RS5F5OV manual tranny.
Old 07-02-2002, 04:23 AM

Originally posted by DAREN
yes they advertise it for the 95+ but the truth is the quaife should fit into an open VG/VE manual tranny. they all have the same RS5FOA tranny code. i am unsure as to whether you could replace a viscous LSD unit with a quaife unit in the RS5F5OV manual tranny.
I spent some time researching this and spoke to some reps at Quaiffe and at Cattman, the best they could do was say that it is likely that it will fit, but they havenot test fitted it so they can't market it for our pre-95 vehicles. But the fact is they manufactured it for the 95+ tranny by dimensioning the stock diff, then delivered it to Cattman having NEVER test fitted it to a 95+ either! But since they manufactured it using the 95+ dimensions, this is what it is marketed for. The only way to be sure would be to buy one and measure it, then compare it to the stock diff in an 89+ tranny. I would like to do this, but DAMN those diffs are expensive. I have a place that will custom install an LSD (not viscous) similar to a quaiffe to handle 400HP AND rebuild the tranny for less about the same $$ as a Quaiffe diff is just for the part, now pay for installation. So this will be the route I take. I am still curious however to know if the quaiffe will fit.
Old 07-02-2002, 06:22 AM

any body have specs

anybody have the specs of the VG & VE diff compared to the VQ diff?
Old 07-02-2002, 10:20 AM

whoa...if it fits 3rd gens, then it will probably fit my 1st gen altima too! woohoo!
where's quaiffe located? do they have a USA r&d shop?
Jae
Old 07-02-2002, 02:52 PM

hey male....you mentioned a place that would rebuild the tranny and install a diff for less than a quaffee!?! Do you have a name and address??

Mike
Old 07-03-2002, 05:00 AM

hey male....you mentioned a place that would rebuild the tranny and install a diff for less than a quaffee!?! Do you have a name and address??

Mike
PRO-TECH TRANSMISSIONS 1-866-PRO-TEC1 (776-8321)
This is the place. Check them out on the web(protechtransmissions.com) first to get an idea of what exactly they do. Shawn is the rep I have been talking with. They are usually very good at returning e-mails and messages. I am anxious to do business with them. Their prices are excellent and, assuming their work is good, this seems like a better option than simply buying a Quaiffe for a bunch of $$ and then having to install it. I have discussed cryotreatment with them too. They don't do this in-house, but they have a shop to which they outsource all cryo work. Let them know that I referred you to them. Include Shawn's name in any e-mail..he is familiar with our application as I have asked about a million questions about it. Maybe we could work out some sort of group deal or .org discount. I'm willing to bet that a bunch of 3rd genners will be interested besides you and I.

---MIKE

Shawn
Pro-Tech Transmissions