3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Need opinions on paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 10:02 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Need opinions on paint

OK I am getting close to having all of my body work done and am thinking about paint now. I need some opinions.

I am considering painting the car the Maxima blue like Jacobs car(I love that color)
I dont know if I want to go through all the trouble of changing colors but I dont want to stay with just regular white either.

So if I paint it white I was thinking of adding a blue or red pearl to it but not sure because I would want it to look subtle not like boat paint

Tell me what you think change color or add a little something to the white.

On the pearl addition is that added to the clear or to the paint itself?

Thanks,
Michael
Old 06-11-2002, 10:09 AM
I'm needing a caw

A change in color will GREATLY increase the cost of the job. Plus, even if you do get the door jambs and trunk done, you can have the engine bay done unless you take out the engine. I think just adding something to the white(ie.. colored pearl) would be the best idea.
Old 06-11-2002, 11:31 AM

Yeah, go for white with a nice bass boat glitter.... hehe

Some day I'll totally rip mine apart and paint it silver.

Old 06-11-2002, 12:34 PM

That blue color would look sweet on a 3rd gen, but it would cost so much more. With the wheels that you have your car looks really good in white.
Old 06-11-2002, 01:49 PM

Re: Need opinions on paint

[QUOTE]Originally posted by awsm66
[B]OK I am getting close to having all of my body work done and am thinking about paint now. I need some opinions.

I think the blue pearl would be perfect. i was ging to do it to my car until i found out the price. now instead of keeping it black, i want like gun metal or charcoal. but the blue pearl would look perfect on a third gen.
Old 06-11-2002, 02:02 PM

Yo, why do you want to paint your whole car? Your photos must be deceiving because the paint is looking pretty good to me.

If you do paint, stick with the Pearl White. It looks sweet with those wheels and the beemer lights IMHO.

JIP
Old 06-11-2002, 02:22 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by John in Philly
Yo, why do you want to paint your whole car? Your photos must be deceiving because the paint is looking pretty good to me.

If you do paint, stick with the Pearl White. It looks sweet with those wheels and the beemer lights IMHO.

JIP
Thanks for the replies---keep em coming.

John--well go to my website and look at the pictures it was wrecked pretty bad on the drivers side and instead of matching the color I am just gonna paint the whole car (plus I will be getting a couple door dings out of it so it will be real slick and shaving the trunk lid panel--maybe) Plus my car isnt pearl white but super white. The pearl I was talking about is not the pearl white paint. You cant tell in the pictures but the paint is pretty shot anyway (oxidized pretty bad)

cost is not a problem because I have a friend thats a good painter and he owes me but I would have to spray under the hood and door jams myself (not a problem except I dont want to take the motor and all the stuff on the inner wheel wells)

Yeah, go for white with a nice bass boat glitter.... hehe
lol yeah thats what I am trying to avoid.
Old 06-11-2002, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by awsm66

lol yeah thats what I am trying to avoid.

If you don't mind some of the inner bits being a different color, go with a bit of a pearl white. I'd stick with pure white personally.

Old 06-11-2002, 03:09 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by Lordrandall

If you don't mind some of the inner bits being a different color, go with a bit of a pearl white. I'd stick with pure white personally.

yeah I probably will stick with plain white because I am so picky and I havent seen a car with pearl added...I have just seen them in magazines and you cant tell it has pearl in the photos which means it should be a mild effect I would think.
Old 06-11-2002, 04:20 PM

audi silver..

or this color blue..

Old 06-12-2002, 01:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You can stage the amounts of pearl that you add in. From a light to heavy depending on the effect you want. It's added after the base but before the clear. It's hard to make a good pearl job come through in pictures because the pearl reacts based off of the refraction of light. The effect can be stunning if done right though. Added a little pizzaz to the plain white paint. Just my .02

Mike
Old 06-12-2002, 05:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have been wanting to repaint my car. The sucker got keyed on one side and instead of matching, I wanted to do the whole thing. I have black now. What do you guys think would look good with a tan interior?
Old 06-12-2002, 07:27 PM

champagne gold would look good with tan interior...looks good on mine...wait, mine has the stock champagne color with tan interior...but seriously...thats a good combo....i'm goin to get mine repainted champagne, but with more of a metallic finish to it!!!
Old 06-12-2002, 08:27 PM

i alwaysed like the blue color that vw uses on the bug. i was thinkin of getting mine painted that color. all these different kind of paints have me confused. what do these things look like? pearls, candys, flakes, etc.
Old 06-13-2002, 05:37 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

I had my white gxe painted

I had it done lexus diamond pearl, get the paint code off a white lexus, on my freinds Legend he used the paint code off of his dads Caddy, it was white pearl but the base coat was kinda creamy, mine was more true white color. I can get you pics of his car but I sold my gxe.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:49 AM

Blue color does look nice on 3rd generation but i am painting it shiny silver don't know maybe might paint blue..Maxima rocks!!
Old 06-13-2002, 08:56 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

here are some pics

its kinda dirty since I took the pics on my way out, I didnt have time to clean it. if you want the color code let me know.

Old 06-13-2002, 09:02 AM

Re: here are some pics

Originally posted by N34JZ
its kinda dirty since I took the pics on my way out, I didnt have time to clean it. if you want the color code let me know.

let me know the color code..it looks nice and dosn't look much white Maxima rocks
Old 06-13-2002, 09:15 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Re: Re: here are some pics

Originally posted by Terry28

let me know the color code..it looks nice and dosn't look much white Maxima rocks
can you try to make sense in one post?
Old 06-13-2002, 09:29 AM

Re: Re: Re: here are some pics

can you try to make sense in one post?
i am thinking of pinting my car and so i like that color on the Acura so i might paint that or something else so i am just saying let me know the color code because in the earlier post u said" ask me for the color code if you like it so i am just asking you.. Maxima rocks!!
Old 06-13-2002, 09:33 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Re: Re: Re: Re: here are some pics

i am thinking of pinting my car and so i like that color on the Acura so i might paint that or something else so i am just saying let me know the color code because in the earlier post u said" ask me for the color code if you like it so i am just asking you.. Maxima rocks!!

see that made sense, Ill ask him for it tonight
Old 06-13-2002, 09:35 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: here are some pics

see that made sense, Ill ask him for it tonight
yeah it does thanx.. And let me know!! Maxima rocks!!
Old 06-13-2002, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by C-Dawg
I have been wanting to repaint my car. The sucker got keyed on one side and instead of matching, I wanted to do the whole thing. I have black now. What do you guys think would look good with a tan interior?
Better paint it a dark color unless you have funds for a very expensive very professional paintjob..going form light to dark is easier than dark to light. Just FYI. Honestly, black gen 3 maximas look so sweet, why change a good thing? Mine is Burgundy (don't know the Nissan color name) painted over (poorly) with ford color that is close. I'm going back to the factory color for convenience (and my pocket's) sake! Can't wait. My ride looks like a roach now, but I still bounce on riced hondas all the time. For now looks are on the back burner..mechanicals first. Besides, jersey is killer on the bodywork..damn those who ding other's doors! Lived here since feb and have 3 new ones..one really bad, right at the top of the door! Makes me want to keep it ugly so I don't have to sweat it..save time at the carwash too! Just high pressure wash the bird crap off and away I go.
Old 06-13-2002, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by male

Better paint it a dark color unless you have funds for a very expensive very professional paintjob..going form light to dark is easier than dark to light. Just FYI. Honestly, black gen 3 maximas look so sweet, why change a good thing? Mine is Burgundy (don't know the Nissan color name) painted over (poorly) with ford color that is close. I'm going back to the factory color for convenience (and my pocket's) sake! Can't wait. My ride looks like a roach now, but I still bounce on riced hondas all the time. For now looks are on the back burner..mechanicals first. Besides, jersey is killer on the bodywork..damn those who ding other's doors! Lived here since feb and have 3 new ones..one really bad, right at the top of the door! Makes me want to keep it ugly so I don't have to sweat it..save time at the carwash too! Just high pressure wash the bird crap off and away I go.
Have any ideas on which shade or color of black looks the best?
Old 06-13-2002, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by C-Dawg

Have any ideas on which shade or color of black looks the best?
your signature on the bottom is kind of funny..
Old 06-13-2002, 11:31 PM

Stop being a ****ing post *****. I searched how many posts you made recently and over half of them are worthless and a waste of bandwith.
Old 06-13-2002, 11:59 PM

Strange, seeing that you manage to stuff "Maxima Rocks!! <smiley><smiley><smiley>" as your signature into every post of yours, not realizing it is a part of what the hell you're trying to say.