3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

leaking oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 08:14 PM

leaking oil pan

hey guys,
Wife has been driving the car while I'm in another state and mechanic just told her I had an oil pan leak. He didnt really go into much details since he figured that since she's a woman she wouldnt know what the hell he was talking about it. Anyone know off the bat how much it would cost to fix. I'm stuck here in Elmendorf AFB AK for some time and wont be able to check out the car. Also she told me the car is making this grinding noise now like a bad bearing or somethig like that. I had this problem before and it turned out to be a bad axle. She says this one sounds different than the bad cv axle. Any ideas..
Old 06-12-2002, 08:34 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

well before i call it oil pan leak..make sure it's the oil pan. it can be leaking from a oil seal? (front or rear)..does she see a stain on the street/driveway?
if not slip a piece of card board under the engine area over night. in the morning look for drip spots.
it can simply be a cheap oil drain plug gasket not being on there.
so double check or at least get a second opinon.

the grinding noise i dunno...it can be ANYTHING..brakes?
Old 06-12-2002, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by DanNY
well before i call it oil pan leak..make sure it's the oil pan. it can be leaking from a oil seal? (front or rear)..does she see a stain on the street/driveway?
if not slip a piece of card board under the engine area over night. in the morning look for drip spots.
it can simply be a cheap oil drain plug gasket not being on there.
so double check or at least get a second opinon.

the grinding noise i dunno...it can be ANYTHING..brakes?
Well as far as the leak goes it does leak.. couple of drips here and t here but one day there was sorta a big puddle of oil. As far as brakes go, I just had the rotors/pads replaced. The first time it happened they told me it was a loose rotor and worn down pads. I got them both replaced and now my wife went on a long distance trip to visit family and it started doing the grinding noise right after the trip.. The trip was over 2000 miles one way.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:47 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by 92ZexMaximaSE
Well as far as the leak goes it does leak.. couple of drips here and t here but one day there was sorta a big puddle of oil. As far as brakes go, I just had the rotors/pads replaced. The first time it happened they told me it was a loose rotor and worn down pads. I got them both replaced and now my wife went on a long distance trip to visit family and it started doing the grinding noise right after the trip.. The trip was over 2000 miles one way.
ok help me help you...
drips here and there...WHERE are the drips? give me an idea on where they are in relation to the car/engine. don't just tell me it drips..give me more info if you can. i'm over here on a computer...you/your wife knows more about the car. like i said it CAN be a oil seal or it can be a drain plug gasket...i mean it can even go as far as a crack in the pan..who knows.

the noise...like i said..it can be ANYTHING. it's hard to determine a "noise" over the internet. you or your wife would know best what it sounds like and at what conditions. i threw out brakes for a example.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:23 PM

Definitely make sure it's the oil pan. It's hard to tell because like with mine, the half circle seals that go on both side of the pan dry out and leak in the same place a rear or front seal would, I didn't know it was the oil pain until I had the engine out. It's probably going to be about a 2 or 3 hour job with the engine still in the car.