3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

ABS light issues...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 11:12 AM

ABS light issues...

Last night the ABS light started coming on when the brakes were applied. This morning it didn't do it but I decided to do a visual inspection of the brakes anyway. I couldn't find anything mechanically wrong with any of the brakes with the exception of the drivers-side rear brake. That caliper is dragging , just slightly though.I cleaned the rotors and pads with brake parts cleaner and reassembled everything. I managed to get rid of the sqealing I was having from the rear brakes and the light hasn't come back on yet.

Does anyone know some of the common causes of the ABS light activating? I'm more mechanically oriented than electrical, so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-13-2002, 11:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: ABS light issues...

Originally posted by Venumb
Last night the ABS light started coming on when the brakes were applied. This morning it didn't do it but I decided to do a visual inspection of the brakes anyway. I couldn't find anything mechanically wrong with any of the brakes with the exception of the drivers-side rear brake. That caliper is dragging , just slightly though.I cleaned the rotors and pads with brake parts cleaner and reassembled everything. I managed to get rid of the sqealing I was having from the rear brakes and the light hasn't come back on yet.

Does anyone know some of the common causes of the ABS light activating? I'm more mechanically oriented than electrical, so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
well sometime like once in two month my Abs light comes on and goes away and i checked the brakes by the dealer and everything and they didn't find anything and there is nothing wrong with my brake. But now it doesn't come on so it migh have been somthing wrong..
Old 06-13-2002, 11:15 AM

Forgot to mention...

To rule out the obvious...I did check the brake pad thickness,fluid level, and signs of excessive rotor wear or warpage and they were good to go.
Old 06-13-2002, 11:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Forgot to mention...

Originally posted by Venumb
To rule out the obvious...I did check the brake pad thickness,fluid level, and signs of excessive rotor wear or warpage and they were good to go.
does the Abs light stays on or just fades after awhile??
Old 06-13-2002, 11:20 AM
I'm needing a caw

Run the ABS diagnostics and note the code. Then refer to your Nissan FSM to determine what the code means. Then do the appropiate repair if necessary.

Instructions are here. Read it, know it, love it, then read it again
http://www.bignissans.org.uk/
Old 06-13-2002, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Run the ABS diagnostics and note the code. Then refer to your Nissan FSM to determine what the code means. Then do the appropiate repair if necessary.

Instructions are here. Read it, know it, love it, then read it again
http://www.bignissans.org.uk/

Thanks...but I think the problem may have just been solved when my wife pulled up to the house a few minutes ago. The Max was sputtering,ABS light lit,radio shutting self off, dim lights, slow windows, quiet horn. Seems that either the new battery I installed is bad or my alternator is taking a dump on me. I'm beginning to think the dying (now dead) battery is making the ABS system throw a code due to low voltage. I'll update y'all soon. Thanks for the help!