3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Mechanics are your friend (wink wink)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 01:55 PM

Mechanics are your friend (wink wink)

I hated to do it but I didn't have the time to do all my repairs on a sat/sunday. Must pass inspection ASAP. So I farmed out the work to a place nearby..simple instruction too..I always try to be ever so explicit with a repair shop..replace LF ball joint, both outer tie rod ends, align, install my carsound cat..to do so they must A. Remove bolts betw. cat & y-pipe B. cut off cat from B-pipe (was welded in the past) C.Weld on a flange w/ appropriate extension D. Bolt in cat...while you're in there replace my oil press sending unit (leaking). I supplied ALL parts. Well, it's been a full day and here's where I am...BJ and rod ends are in..still not aligned.."oh, you wanted us to install the cat? That might be expensive." GOD HELP ME! I am a firm believer in "If you want it done right, do it yourself" Well this is what I get for not heeding my own beliefs. Damn mechanics..damn cars. Anyone else bitter?
Old 06-13-2002, 01:56 PM

Oh yeah...

Because they forgot about the cat, they didn't install to oil sender either because it was in the box with the cat..just like i told them...twice!
Old 06-13-2002, 02:48 PM
STFU n00b!

if it makes you feel better, it took the tranny shop two days two replace my pass side axle seal. and left side axle.
I paid them $2000 less than a month ago for a new tranny and it's leaking.. the CV joint was 6 months old and blew itself up for some dumb reason.

anyway, they did it all under warranty, but it still hacks me off that it takes them 2 days to do a 1 hour job. had they just paid for the seal, I could have done it last weekend in what little spare time I had.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:07 PM

reasons like this are why i DO NOT like auto repair shop places. Half of them have incompetent employees and the rest of them just dont give a S**t about other people's cars.

:like for example, there is this local shop down the street from my neighborhood, it has this mustang on a lift and it has been there for the past 3 weeks. I mean it doesnt take a month to repair a car.

Damn them Damn them alll!!! hahahahaha

naw but there still a few good decent shops around. just gotta look for them.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by mykizism

Damn them Damn them alll!!! hahahahaha

naw but there still a few good decent shops around. just gotta look for them.
hmmm.... the problem is, they're all like that fortress in Krull, where they disappear and pop up in new places, never in the same place twice.

p.s. I'm a movie dork, please don't flame for the silly analogy.
Old 06-14-2002, 07:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i agree with you on the mechanic, i told my mechanic to install the fog light that i bought and in the Box there was already a switch so i told him to put a switch in the Max so when i turn thr swich on the fo light will be on and so i leave the car there for a day for him to installed it and i paid him $50 but he ahsn't installed the swich and installed the fog light so when i turn on my headlight the fog light comes on and i ask him for the switch to instal.. SOmetime i wish i was a mechaic so i can fix everything the way i want to..
Old 06-14-2002, 08:16 AM

And the Saga Continues

So I called the shop this morning and told them if it's going to cost more than 50 to weld on the flange to the b-pipe and install the cat don't do it. Also, they did install the oil sender...$25. I KNOW I could have done it in 10 mins..they slate 30 min. I figured they would be cool and say no charge, as I am having $300 in labor done as it is. Silly me. Not only that, but they called back and said they won't touch the exhaust.. manifold studs to y-pipe are shot and need to be cut and drilled, replace w/ bolts..I gues they can't handle that! Plus, they told me 3 wheel studs on the RF wheel are stripped. HA! I know they were cool before because I REPLACED THEM LESS THAN A YEAR AGO. I asked how they put the lugs on, and impact wrench? Yes. I asked how what do they torque them to ...Service manager didn't know. So now I let her know I'm no dumbass and that if there is no need to impact them on above 70-80 ftlb on alloy wheels...that is the reason they probably f'd em up! They just jam them on there not heeding torque levels..I used to work in a shop and know for a fact most guys just ram them on there with there nice $400 Ingersoll Rand or Mac impact wrenches that bang out 150-250 ftlb! Man I am so ****ed. Not only do I have to shell out $$ to get my car fixed, but I couldn't even get it all done at once! Looks like this sunday I'll be cutting off those manifold to y-pipe studs, drilling and replacing. Then I have to order a WSP B-pipe so I can put my cat in and pass inspection. I guess I have no choice but to drive around with expired inspection for a while. I would have rather spent the $300 on a 12v Milwakee 1/2" impact wrench and sockets so I never have to got to a shop again. That was my plan initially but I figured this shop would be competent. Guess not. Well I learned my lesson for good now.
Thanks for lending an ear guys. I'm so ****ed I can't even focus to get any work done.

--mike