3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 01:01 PM

need help

I've been getting around 10 mpg lately, and i was wondering if it could be the o2 sensors or anything. would there be a light if my o2 sensors are bad?
Old 06-14-2002, 01:04 PM
STFU n00b!

it could be a zillion things, but the O2 sensor is a common culprit. sometimes there is a light, sometimes there isn't.

might take it to a local parts store and see if they have a scanner to hook up to it. the local AutoZone has a snap-on scanner they can hook to OBD-II equipped cars. not sure about OBD-I (3rd gens) though.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:08 PM

so i could just go to autozone and ask them to check it out?
Old 06-14-2002, 01:12 PM

Re: need help

Originally posted by simplerx
I've been getting around 10 mpg lately, and i was wondering if it could be the o2 sensors or anything. would there be a light if my o2 sensors are bad?
Sometimes (i'd say most of the time) the o2 will trip the engine light, unless it is completely disconn (ie wire broken or unplugged) I'm not 100% on that. I've heard of it not tripping the light even though it was bad. Improper EGR function can cause bad gas mileage too. My bet is the fuel pressure regulator. disconnect the vac line to it. If gas comes out of vac line..bad regualtor. Also, if you diconnect the vac line and gas MPG doesn't get worse...bad regulator. Mass air meter is possible too, but usually that causes stalling. Does the engine run smooth otherwise? if it doesn't, look into ignition tune-up parts. Could just do a tune up (plugs wires etc..are you VE?) and see where that takes you. have fun.