3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

question installing new alarm

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 01:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

question installing new alarm

I bought an Avital Diablo2 http://www.avital.com/guides/igs/diablo2_install.pdf (I wish I bought the Avital Pheonix2 though...same price, more features!)
Anyways, I removed the old alarm (some cheapy brand...lost the remotes, but left the alarm in). The factory alarm still works. Took 3hrs.

The crappy old alarm had the negative door trigger connected to the factory alarm disarm. I dunno why they did that. Does anybody have any ideas?

Other than that, I installed everything. Got the basic features: lock/unlock doors, shock sensor (setting to very sensitive to scare off the neighbor's cat!), etc. I can hook up remote start, but rather not cuz it's a 5sp. I might add window/sunroof rollup later and trunk release (is the stock trunk release electronic?)

1 more thing: I have the new alarm's trunk pin hooked to the stock trunk alarm wire. Is there a way I can wire up the stock hood wire too without messing anything up?

If anybody wants a writeup, I'll be happy to post.

Jae
Old 06-14-2002, 07:25 PM

Alarm

I imagine they had the alarm disarm connected to the negative door trigger so that when they used the key to unlock the door it would automatically disarm the aftermarket alarm as well (which coincides with not having the remote triggers for it!). Don't worry about connecting to everything from the stock alarm. Just install a shock sensor at the trunk and if you're really worried, a motion sensor in the center console. Motion sensors are relatively inexpensive. IMO, if you're set on utilizing the stock alarm, tap into it. You can wire it so that when you arm/disarm your aftermarket, it will also arm/disarm the stock which will also give you starter kill. You can also access the horn and all hood latch triggers there as well, instead of running lots of wires. Just my thoughts and opinions.
Old 06-17-2002, 08:57 PM

sounds good. i haven't had anymore horn problems...but the lame door lock timer's still acting up...can't unlock the doors, even with the key.
this weekend i'm gonna run the 2nd accessory of the alarm to the trunk release (it's electronic right?)
Jae
Old 06-17-2002, 09:53 PM

Re: question installing new alarm

Originally posted by ThurzNite
I bought an Avital Diablo2 http://www.avital.com/guides/igs/diablo2_install.pdf (I wish I bought the Avital Pheonix2 though...same price, more features!)
Anyways, I removed the old alarm (some cheapy brand...lost the remotes, but left the alarm in). The factory alarm still works. Took 3hrs.

The crappy old alarm had the negative door trigger connected to the factory alarm disarm. I dunno why they did that. Does anybody have any ideas?

Other than that, I installed everything. Got the basic features: lock/unlock doors, shock sensor (setting to very sensitive to scare off the neighbor's cat!), etc. I can hook up remote start, but rather not cuz it's a 5sp. I might add window/sunroof rollup later and trunk release (is the stock trunk release electronic?)

1 more thing: I have the new alarm's trunk pin hooked to the stock trunk alarm wire. Is there a way I can wire up the stock hood wire too without messing anything up?

If anybody wants a writeup, I'll be happy to post.

Jae
I'd be interested in seeing what you did. I'm starting to have problems with my stock alarm out of the blue.

For the past month or so my stock alarm has been set off when my aftermarket alarm (Crime Guard 745i3) is triggered. It's quite annoying having to turn off the aftermarket alarm, AND having to go out to my car to stick the key in the door. Especially, for example, in the middle of the night or in a rainstorm.

Like I said it just recently started doing it. Hadnt had any problems with it at all before that since I did it all a few months ago.

Did you tap into the factory alarm or what?
Old 06-19-2002, 01:32 AM

Re: Re: question installing new alarm

Originally posted by James12345

I'd be interested in seeing what you did. I'm starting to have problems with my stock alarm out of the blue.

For the past month or so my stock alarm has been set off when my aftermarket alarm (Crime Guard 745i3) is triggered. It's quite annoying having to turn off the aftermarket alarm, AND having to go out to my car to stick the key in the door. Especially, for example, in the middle of the night or in a rainstorm.

Like I said it just recently started doing it. Hadnt had any problems with it at all before that since I did it all a few months ago.

Did you tap into the factory alarm or what?
no, i didn't touch the factory alarm except for the trunk pin. but i'm getting the same problem as you: once every 10 or so times when I'm disarming the Avital (which unlocks the doors), when I open the door the stock horn goes off. I hafta stick the key into the door and turn to shut the horn off.

The previous crapppy alarm had the alarm brain unlock wire hooked up to the stock disarm wire...Now I know why. This sunday I'll try splitting the unlock wire (it's negative and single pulse, right?) and running 1 end to the stock disarm. I'll let you know how it goes. Do you need DEI techsheets or anything? i got info from 4 sources.

Jae
Old 06-19-2002, 06:43 AM

I wonder if....

when the stock alarm goes off only every once in a while, if you are activating the aftermarket alarm first (locking the doors) and then shutting the doors? That would activate the stock alarm and subsequently set it off when the door is opened. What you need to do first is to find out why the stock alarm is activating if you've not wired it to do so. That should answere your question.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:59 AM
STFU n00b!

stock false alarms:
check your hood pin switch on the right side of the engine bay.. if you've got an FSTB, it coule be holding the hood up just enough to cause the thing to go off when a cat jumps on/off the hood or in high winds.

mine did that after I installed my FSTB, so I pulled the pin switch off and re-drilled the holes to the switch mounted about 1/4" higher than before. never had a problem withthe stock alarm since.
Old 06-19-2002, 11:32 AM

Re: I wonder if....

Originally posted by Siege
when the stock alarm goes off only every once in a while, if you are activating the aftermarket alarm first (locking the doors) and then shutting the doors? That would activate the stock alarm and subsequently set it off when the door is opened. What you need to do first is to find out why the stock alarm is activating if you've not wired it to do so. That should answere your question.
my stock alarm is still hooked up...didn't touch it (just tapped into it).

Before I had any aftermarket alarm, I would get outta the car, push the door lock down, then shut the door. Worked fine, no false alarms as long as I use my key to unlock the door.

I've also tried shutting the door, then locking it with the key. No problems there

Now with this new alarm, i've tried manually locking the door (door lock and/or key) and using the alarm's remote in diff combinations, but I haven't come across any steady pattern. It's darn random

Matt, No fstb here...But I'll verify the pin's still working. Thx for the tip.

Jae