3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I've asked everywhere else but here about my fuel pressure problem ....

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2000, 05:57 AM

Get this ...
Today, after talking with Kaleb, I noticed my fuel gauge was tickling the E, and even though the light didn't come on, I figured it was time to fill up. More importantly, I think that my float may need to be readjusted as it doesn't hit the F mark anymore, so I knew I had plenty in reserve. Otherwise the fuel light would be coming up on the E like it used to.

ANYWAY...

Filled up at my usual servo (petrol station), usual fuel (Shell Optimax - 98 RON - took about 56L to fill, so it had about 14 in reserve) and started the car.

Fuel pressure was still at the usual 40 PSI at idle. Dropped past my performance shop 20 secs away from the servo to pick up my replacement Jacobs timing gun. Left after about 10 mins and started the car up. **** did it feel rough! Looked at the fuel pressure gauge and it was sitting on a ****ty 30 PSI and as I was accelerating, it was dancing between 35 and 40. Something was terribly amiss here. So before I went to my panelbeater as planned (to touch up some spots where the clear coat got chipped off due to the usual conditions), I dropped past home thinking the pump would have to come out. But first, while the car was running, I disconnected and reconnected the blue fuel pump connector under the ****-end of the back seat. Pressure came good! Jumped straight back up to 40 PSI at idle and stable at that.

So off I went to the panel beaters (about a 10km drive). Did my ****, and about 20 mins after the touch-ups, I started the car and back to square one. ****!

Drove off and things improved but then disappeared 5 secs later. I'm starting to think there's some crud stuck somewhere.

Disconnected and reconnected again and all was well. Drove home, cool. Before I stopped the car, I pulled out the fuse and let the motor die. Leaving the fuse out I continued to crank the car to kill off the remaining fuel pressure 1 min after it died. Then I replaced the fuse, primed the pump (leaving it in IGN in other words), and then started the car. No problem. Stopped the car, waited a few mins, restarted it, no problem again.

I'm hoping this won't be a continuing saga. More to the point, I'm hoping it's not my Walbro pump! Seems that something always has to go wrong within a week of waxing Max, I kid you not!

My panelbeater thought that because of the torrential rain we had the past week, it may have dumped a lot of water into the service stations' tanks. That's what he thought it might have been, and since petrol is of lesser density than water, the pump could be sucking up all the water first, mixing it in then with the petrol.

What do you guys think? I'm absolutely stumped and with one month to go before Summernats (Summer Nationals - where cars from all over Australia converge to our captial city, Canberra, and the **** that compliment them!), I want things running smoothly and taking advantage of the UDP I'm getting in from Kaleb!

All advice/opinions appreciated. Thanx fellas!

(UPDATE: It did it again tonight, as soon as I put the seat back in - dunno if it was pure coincidence or not, but since I did the unplug/plug thing again, it's been back to normal once more - I'm STUMPED on this one!)