3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

strut boots

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002 | 01:43 AM

strut boots

How bad of a thing is it to drive around with torn strut boot even if the strut is new? Will the strut have to be replaced or just rebooted. I know when the axle boot is torn your better off installing new axles instead of rebooting.
Old 06-19-2002 | 04:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: strut boots

Originally posted by LegitMafiaBoss
How bad of a thing is it to drive around with torn strut boot even if the strut is new? Will the strut have to be replaced or just rebooted. I know when the axle boot is torn your better off installing new axles instead of rebooting.
The purpose of the strut boot is to keep dirt from sticking to the strut as well as other foreign particles. They could damage the strut.

I replaced the boots on by CV axle 10k miles ago. The axles already had 120k miles on them. They are fine.
Old 06-19-2002 | 06:27 AM

Re: strut boots

Originally posted by LegitMafiaBoss
If the stut is new, you should have had new boots put on at the same time (saves alot of $$ and time). If you want the struts to last you should replace the boots.
There are some org members that reused their old boots using duct tape, BAD IDEA. That is simply retarded, we spend big bucks on our suspension, someting like a $15 boot insures that the strut will last a long time.
Old 06-19-2002 | 06:38 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Re: strut boots

Originally posted by eric93SE

There are some org members that reused their old boots using duct tape, BAD IDEA. That is simply retarded, we spend big bucks on our suspension, someting like a $15 boot insures that the strut will last a long time.
and why is that a bad idea?
please explain to me your thoughts on that? if there's a split in the boot why not cover it up with some duct tape to hold it until you get to pull the suspension again. or would u rather go to the shop or spend a few hours to pull the entire suspension for a boot swap?
so it's not pretty fix...but it'll work in the meantime.

the retard is the guy who spends $100+ in labor to just get boots put in.

but if someone is going to do suspension then not replacing the boots is just plain foolish.
Old 06-19-2002 | 09:55 AM
Getting back to his roots

Re: Re: Re: strut boots

I'm pretty sure that Tokico at least will void the warranty if the seals are blown by dirt or debris (ie bad strut boot). So you really should get some on there one way or another.
Old 06-19-2002 | 11:09 AM

i put duct tape on my strut boots and I haven't had any problems and when i check my strut, the piston is clean
Old 06-19-2002 | 08:57 PM

My mechanic said that the strut boots were unimportant, really. At least, that goes for stock suspension.
Old 06-20-2002 | 08:14 AM

Originally posted by DanNY

please explain to me your thoughts on that? if there's a split in the boot why not cover it up with some duct tape to hold it until you get to pull the suspension again. or would u rather go to the shop or spend a few hours to pull the entire suspension for a boot swap?

but if someone is going to do suspension then not replacing the boots is just plain foolish.
I was referring to when you have new struts installed, new boots should be installed also (not reusing the old ones w/duct tape)

I agree, its a good idea to use duct tape If you plan to fix them in the future. But, the original post said he just had his struts replaced!
Old 06-20-2002 | 08:38 AM

Originally posted by BoyGenius84
My mechanic said that the strut boots were unimportant, really. At least, that goes for stock suspension.
Stock or not, the boost WILL make whatever strut is under it last longer...period. your mechanic is likely the kind to cit corners on other things if he's saying that! Be wary.
Old 06-20-2002 | 09:22 AM

Originally posted by male

Stock or not, the boost WILL make whatever strut is under it last longer...period. your mechanic is likely the kind to cit corners on other things if he's saying that! Be wary.
My mechanic is one of the top ten Nissan techs in the country. Also, I have known him personally for 18 years. He knows what he is talking about.
Old 06-20-2002 | 10:24 AM

My mechanic is one of the top ten Nissan techs in the country. Also, I have known him personally for 18 years. He knows what he is talking about.
That's relative though. He may be a good mechanic, but if this guys says a boot does nothing, and is willing to install new struts without them, overtime they WILL wear out faster than a strut that has a properly fitted boot..bad business practice for both he and the customer. It is common sense. If the shaft seal is exposed and provides a nice little crevice for all kinds of junk to settle in, eventually the shaft will be abraded, the seal will be abraded, and they will work against eachother, destroying the seal. Fine, if a boot has torn on a high milage strut, then I would say don't worry about it..not cost effective to repair unless you use a split boot. I say if your spending the $$ on good struts, boots are good insurance. Think about how much crap gets flung around those wheel wells onto the strut..that can't be good for anykind of exposed seal. Anyone disagree??
Old 06-20-2002 | 11:48 AM

boygenius: Your mechannic is a Moron!! get a new one

top ten my A$$
Old 06-20-2002 | 12:04 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

bwaahaahahaaaaaa!!!
so u knew him all your life?

what's his name? references?
I'm also the top 10 mechanic for GM and Nissan.
I know what i'm talking about also and you need dust boots. EVERY strut company requires you to have strut boot or else the warranty is void.
Old 06-20-2002 | 12:14 PM

bwaahaahahaaaaaa!!!
so u knew him all your life?

what's his name? references?
I'm also the top 10 mechanic for GM and Nissan.
I know what i'm talking about also and you need dust boots. EVERY strut company requires you to have strut boot or else the warranty is void.
So it's agreed..boots are gooood.
Old 06-20-2002 | 07:23 PM

the first time i did my struts i used duct tape. the boots got all manged up and stuck in the springs. but if i had put them in right side up it might have worked better.

it took a lttle searching but i found aftermarket boots from BIG A for $17 each.