3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

auto tranny

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002 | 06:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

auto tranny

i've been looking around and found only one other thread with this. I have auto transmission and it starts to shift back and forth when i'm going around 30 and try to speed up. so the car starts jerking and i have to release gas to stop that. when i press it again it usually goes away. Does anyone else have that? Know what it is?

Thanx
Old 06-20-2002 | 07:12 AM

I'd suggest the first thing to do is to check the A/T fluid level and condition. If the fluid is low, add to spec. If the fluid has burning smell, CHANGE IT IMMEDIATELY.
Old 06-20-2002 | 07:32 AM

I've a 90 Maxima and I replaced my tranny 2 yrs ago. My OEM tranny went and I told my mechanic to get one from a Junk yark. BAD MOVE!!! Damn tranny lasted me only 3 months and it die again!!! This time I told them to rebuild it. So far I've been driving on the rebuild tranny fine with no problem. If you guys wonder Y i didn't rebuld my OEM tranny....cuz my OEM tranny casing cracked like an eggshell and not rebuildable. Luckily the junkyard did not charge me for a core. Overall both junkyard tranny and to rebuild my tranny with labor costed me $2100.

Originally posted by AC439
I'd suggest the first thing to do is to check the A/T fluid level and condition. If the fluid is low, add to spec. If the fluid has burning smell, CHANGE IT IMMEDIATELY.
Old 06-20-2002 | 11:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had my tranny leaking and i went to 4 shops where every one of them said they fixed it and every time it was different. go figure. but i didn't look at it myself even though i know for sure it has been leaking and i'm afraid is still is. cause i check the fluid level in it pretty often and every 2 weeks or so, i add more into it. in one of the autoshops they recommended to add atf something tetron III, i can't remember and thats the one i use. after i add it the jerking goes away for some time and then it comes back and happens more and more often until i add liquid again. It can't be just that though. There has to be something else broken or anything at least that is the impression that i have right now...

p.s. i had the transmission service done too, but that didn't help either
Old 06-20-2002 | 11:09 PM

Originally posted by akn978
I had my tranny leaking and i went to 4 shops where every one of them said they fixed it and every time it was different. go figure. but i didn't look at it myself even though i know for sure it has been leaking and i'm afraid is still is. cause i check the fluid level in it pretty often and every 2 weeks or so, i add more into it. in one of the autoshops they recommended to add atf something tetron III, i can't remember and thats the one i use. after i add it the jerking goes away for some time and then it comes back and happens more and more often until i add liquid again. It can't be just that though. There has to be something else broken or anything at least that is the impression that i have right now...

p.s. i had the transmission service done too, but that didn't help either
It could be your torque converter, but if your tranny was rebuilt they should have rebuilt the converter too. something to check
Old 06-21-2002 | 05:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm pretty sure that my transmission wasn't rebuilt though...

torque converter you say? could you tell me more about it? the car is really slow on pick up and it starts really going only around 4k rpm. I asked one mechanic to check it out why the transmission is screwing up but the guy said he couldn't find anything wrong and started giving me bs about used cars and how thats the way they are. Any thoughts besides getting a new mechanic?
Old 06-21-2002 | 11:52 AM

you should list more info like: what year and trim max you have, and how many miles total on the tranny.
The problem with most (nearly all) rebuilt trannys is that they are considered soft rebuids, meaning they only replace the seals and friction bands, but generally not much more.

I'm thinking your problem may have somthing to do with the revolution sensor (not the speed sensor). I posted the procedure on how to run the tranny diagnostics program.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ics+and+tranny
Old 06-21-2002 | 01:46 PM

I, too, have the same problem. Only happens occasionally. Around 40mph it sometimes shudders really bad, searching for a gear to be in. Let up on the gas, only for an instant, and it goes away immediately. Fluid color/smell/level is OK. Been doing it off & on for 15K miles now. I've just kind of thought that when all the conditions (load, speed, etc) are just right, the trans. just isn't really sure which gear it wants to be in.

'94 VG, 73K mi.

Oops, just re-read your second post. If the problem shows up only when fluid level is low and goes away when you fill it only to reappear when fluid is low again, that sounds pretty conclusive to me... Hmm, maybe I'd better check my own fluid level again.....
Old 06-21-2002 | 05:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

well, thats the thing. it still does it when i add the liquid, just not as often! max94, it sounds like you have exactly the same thing. i'm really not sure what to do. eric93se, thanx, i didn't find that post with the search but i think thats what i was looking for. my max is a 92se. i bought it @ 117k miles and i found the problem around 119k. i now have 122.5k on it.

thanx for all the help guys!

p.s. if you have other suggestions i'd gladly listen. because i'm thinking of keeping the car for two more years at least. do you think it will pull that long without fixing it? then i'm thinking of getting brand new max whichever year will be then