3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

cruise control not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2002, 03:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

cruise control not working

i have a '90gxe,cruise control will not engage.
the cruise control light comes on,but nothin else.
Old 07-02-2002, 12:27 AM
baz
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: cruise control not working

Originally posted by BIGDRU9
i have a '90gxe,cruise control will not engage.
the cruise control light comes on,but nothin else.
Check the cruise switch near the brake pedal switch. They are next to each other.
Old 07-02-2002, 08:04 PM

Re: Re: cruise control not working

Originally posted by baz

Check the cruise switch near the brake pedal switch. They are next to each other.
whats a brake pedal switch and where is it? (cuz my cruise doesnt work either) i'm new to this stuff, help me out a little please.
Old 07-03-2002, 02:12 AM
baz
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: cruise control not working

Originally posted by Alix85

whats a brake pedal switch and where is it? (cuz my cruise doesnt work either) i'm new to this stuff, help me out a little please.

When you press the brake pedal this switch activates your brake lights, next to this switch is your Cruise control cut out swtich..If the cruise control cut out switch is not working then your cruise control will not work.

Follow your brake pedal all the way up under the steering wheel and you will see 2 switches..One is the brake switch and the other is the cruise switch.The cruise switch is the blue one. Pull the plug out of the cruise switch and put a link in the plug and go and drive and see if the cruise will work.If it works then its the switch.If not let me know.
Old 07-03-2002, 05:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if that switch is not working (for 5spds, they have this switch and another on the clutch pedal that does the same thing), the cruise control will not try to engage at all - the light on the gauges wont even come on at all

I had a problem with my clutch switch needing adjustment because it thought it was always depressed so I couldnt set the speed.

Also, my actuator wasn't working. When I tried it, the green cruise light would come on, but it would not hold the speed at all and the light would shut off after my speed got about 10-15mph below what I tried to set it at.
Old 07-03-2002, 10:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Re: cruise control not working

Originally posted by baz

When you press the brake pedal this switch activates your brake lights, next to this switch is your Cruise control cut out swtich..If the cruise control cut out switch is not working then your cruise control will not work.

Follow your brake pedal all the way up under the steering wheel and you will see 2 switches..One is the brake switch and the other is the cruise switch.The cruise switch is the blue one. Pull the plug out of the cruise switch and put a link in the plug and go and drive and see if the cruise will work.If it works then its the switch.If not let me know.
what is a link and where can i get one?
Old 07-03-2002, 11:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: cruise control not working

Originally posted by BIGDRU9

what is a link and where can i get one?
just a jumper or whatever you want to call it

a small piece of wire to connect both terminals together, just cut about an inch of wire, strip both ends, and put the ends into each terminal on the switch
this bypasses the switch
Old 07-10-2002, 04:49 PM

u know Im havin' the same problems with my max also. Everytime I wanna engage the cruise control the light doesn't come on at all and the cruise control doesn't activate at all.

I was thinkin' if maybe its the switch on the dash but I really wouldn't know. any help would be appreciated guys.
Old 07-11-2002, 05:45 AM

Is this a comon problem, because to tell you the truth im having a problem with my cruise control too. My light comes on but thats it, i cant set a speed! Ill check the switch this weekend!