3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Rear suspension hitting hard on bumps

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 07:16 PM

Rear suspension hitting hard on bumps

I have all the run-of-the-mill Eibach, Tokico, ST anti-sway set-up with 17's and 45 series tires and for the last few weeks it sounds like the thing is going to fall apart in the back when I hit a bump in the road. The only thing different the last few weeks has been the addition of the 2K Courtesy FSTB. I had to notch the underside of the hood to get it to close, but it's there. Could the additional stiffening on the front affect the feel of the rear? The front suspension is fine. I just checked the nuts on top of the rear strut towers. Everything was tight. Another question: Does anyone else's ST rear anti-sway hit the underside of their exhaust over bumps. I have the Greddy SP and you can see the mark onthe tubing where the anti-sway gets into it. All the little rattles and noises I've picked up the last few months are driving me nuts!
Old 06-29-2002, 08:18 PM

What do you mean hitting hard? Hard as in like extremely rough like you've got bricks for shocks? Or hard as in it's making alot of noise and feels loose?

I've seen quite a few posts over the years about rear tokico's making clanging sounds over bumps. Nobody seems to know what causes it. Maybe you've got that?

Also, did you check the mounting brackets on the ST sways? Maybe they've broken. That'd certainly make a lot of noise back there.

My ST sway doesnt hit my GReddy at all. You could probably find some stiffer exhaust hangers that'd keep the GReddy tight(er) and hopefully stop it from bouncing down and hitting the sway.
Old 06-29-2002, 11:50 PM

I agree with James! My back chasis mount broke for the rear sway bar on the passenger side and when it did it made a huge noise and then everytime i hit any kind of bump it would knock. The location where it is mounted to the chasis is the single most pathetic construction flaw minus originally faulty VTC's for our cars. It has caused me to take my 15"s out and put some cheap *** 12"s in but I have saved my a$$, my suspension, and probably over 100lbs as you couldn't even imagine how much those da.mn.able MTX 7000 series subs weighed.

It is not exactly cheap to do the replacement of the sway bar mount as it has to be cut and resoldered onto the chasis... NO FUN, and NOT CHEAP!

Jared
Old 06-30-2002, 08:26 PM

my rear shocks clank like hell whenever i hit a bump. they just started squeking alot last week. i have about 4 weeks with the new eibachs. i have retorqued the screws on the top of under the rear seats. any suggestions???
Laly
Old 06-30-2002, 08:42 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by EdgeProductions
It is not exactly cheap to do the replacement of the sway bar mount as it has to be cut and resoldered onto the chasis... NO FUN, and NOT CHEAP!

Jared
it shouldn't cost THAT much.
they just need to weld a small plate w/ a hole up against the stock piece and to the frame.
Old 06-30-2002, 10:47 PM

sup all?

i have the same problem in the rear shocks...when i hit a small bump it sounds like its goin' 2 fall apart or somethin'. i have tokico's and eiback's. and it's drivin' me CRAZY.....can n-e-one help out?

l8er all

Torres

Originally posted by Laly
my rear shocks clank like hell whenever i hit a bump. they just started squeking alot last week. i have about 4 weeks with the new eibachs. i have retorqued the screws on the top of under the rear seats. any suggestions???
Laly
Old 07-01-2002, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by James12345
What do you mean hitting hard? Hard as in like extremely rough like you've got bricks for shocks? Or hard as in it's making alot of noise and feels loose?

I've seen quite a few posts over the years about rear tokico's making clanging sounds over bumps. Nobody seems to know what causes it. Maybe you've got that?

Also, did you check the mounting brackets on the ST sways? Maybe they've broken. That'd certainly make a lot of noise back there.

My ST sway doesnt hit my GReddy at all. You could probably find some stiffer exhaust hangers that'd keep the GReddy tight(er) and hopefully stop it from bouncing down and hitting the sway.
Noise and feels loose. Unfortunately I am very familiar with the sound of my anti-sway bracket breaking and the drag link clanging around in there. They are actually fine for once. The left side has broken once and the right side has broken twice. The actually fabbed a whole new bracket the last time. Then the nut kept backing off. Sheesh! Good idea on the exhaust hanger. It never occured to me that the exhaust may be bouncing down into the anti-sway instead of the other way around. Thanks James!
Old 07-01-2002, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by DanNY

it shouldn't cost THAT much.
they just need to weld a small plate w/ a hole up against the stock piece and to the frame.
True it prolly won't cost an arm and a leg if I can get one of my friend's shops to take care of it, but one problem I don't have that type of money even right now till i sell some of the parts from my 92 Maxima SE Auto with 92k. Also I am going to most likely have to get a new sway bar as mine is warped now which sucks as it is a ST rear sway! Oh well!

Jared