3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

What is this connector?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2002, 02:39 PM

What is this connector?

So the car's on jack stands in preparation for changing the front axle. I notice this connector attached to a metal part of the engine right above the center member assembly. It's [sort of] under the rack and pinion boot on the right side of the engine (you right when you are in the car).

The connector has three wires: RED, WHITE and BLACK. One end of the connector is completely cut!! I will connect it back but any idea what this connector is? I'm flipping through the FSM now, so I might eventually come across a description; In the meantime, anyone know what this connector is?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-30-2002, 03:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: What is this connector?

Originally posted by FrankBattle
So the car's on jack stands in preparation for changing the front axle. I notice this connector attached to a metal part of the engine right above the center member assembly. It's [sort of] under the rack and pinion boot on the right side of the engine (you right when you are in the car).

The connector has three wires: RED, WHITE and BLACK. One end of the connector is completely cut!! I will connect it back but any idea what this connector is? I'm flipping through the FSM now, so I might eventually come across a description; In the meantime, anyone know what this connector is?

Thanks in advance.
Ten bucks says it is your oxygen sensor. Trace the wire to the other end. If it ends at your exhaust pipe, time to cough up cash for a new one.
Old 06-30-2002, 04:10 PM

Re: Re: What is this connector?

Originally posted by Pervis Anathema

Ten bucks says it is your oxygen sensor. Trace the wire to the other end. If it ends at your exhaust pipe, time to cough up cash for a new one.
Thankfully, it doesn't. And let me make a slight correction, one end of the connector has RED, BLACK and WHITE wores; the male end has GREEN, BLACK and BLACK (I think).

I will doublecheck the oxygen sensor connector in the FSM, but I have a feeling you owe me $10.00

I accept paypal.
Old 06-30-2002, 04:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: What is this connector?

Originally posted by FrankBattle

Thankfully, it doesn't. And let me make a slight correction, one end of the connector has RED, BLACK and WHITE wores; the male end has GREEN, BLACK and BLACK (I think).

I will doublecheck the oxygen sensor connector in the FSM, but I have a feeling you owe me $10.00

I accept paypal.
Very well. Shoot me a paypal address... j/k!
Old 06-30-2002, 05:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: What is this connector?

Originally posted by Pervis Anathema

Very well. Shoot me a paypal address... j/k!
*cough*

Er, ummm.

*exhale*

Okay, so let's, hypothetically, say it does end in the exhaust pipe...would that cause damage to the sensor or anything else? By the looks of it, it's been disconnected for some time [hypothetically].

Oxygen sensor, I assume, controls combustion by sending signals back to the ECU...My gas mileage has been less than optimum for some time; mayhaps this is a root cause, yes?

Hypothetically speaking, I could mail you a picture of a $10 bill.
Old 06-30-2002, 05:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What is this connector?

I new that was what it was! I saw that same wire combination when I pulled my 02 sensor last week to replace my y-pipe.

Yes, it will drastically affect your gas mileage. The sensor monitors the amount of oxygen in your exhaust. This information is sent to the ECU and is used to adjust the fuel air mixture. A non functioning one will cause a big reduction in gas mileage among other problems. Do a search for oxygen sensor to get better information on this.

I recommend replacing it, especially if you don't know how old it is. Courtesy Nissan in Texas will give a big discount if you mention that you are a member of Maxima.org. www.courtesyparts.com

Good luck.
Old 07-01-2002, 01:38 AM

Hmm..

Why would anyone have cause to cut this wire in the first place? Or do you mean, it was cut by some force of nature?
Old 07-01-2002, 04:35 AM

Re: Hmm..

Originally posted by hadman
Why would anyone have cause to cut this wire in the first place? Or do you mean, it was cut by some force of nature?
I'm not sure this is worth answering...

One end of the connector is completely cut!!
Is a bit different from "I cut one of the connector."
Old 07-01-2002, 10:11 PM

I have heard of people cutting the wire when they experience problems with the O2 sensor (instead of buying a new one). Because the car is running rich you don't notice the previous problems of surging and hesitations.

Brent.
Old 07-01-2002, 10:21 PM

No Stuff!!

I'll see what happens when I reconnect it. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2002, 06:44 AM

BTW get the O2 sensor for the Nissan!! DO NOT get a generic sensor. The earlier cars with the sensor, it was ok to get a generic O2 sensor, but on any of the 90+ cars, get the one for YOUR car.
Old 07-02-2002, 07:11 AM

One "generic" brand that you can get for your car is NTK. It's really NGK, and they make a lot of OEM sensors. You can find these things for sale on www.sparkplugs.com. They are usually a good bit cheaper than OEM, but they are really the same as OEM. (At least for Mazda they are EXACTLY the same as OEM)
Old 07-02-2002, 03:41 PM

Yeah definitley replace it. I replaced mine with only 60k on it and I saw a 10% inc. in mpg