3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Odometer stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 09:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Odometer stopped working

I have a 93 Maxima GXE with 110K miles on it. Yesterday while on a highway, the odometer ( both the main one and trip odometer) stopped working. However, the speedometer and other controls are functioning as normal.
I just got the front Struts replaced and got the wheel alignment done. Everything was working fine even after that. Any Help!!
Old 07-08-2002, 10:01 AM

Re: Odometer stopped working

Originally posted by ankur
I have a 93 Maxima GXE with 110K miles on it. Yesterday while on a highway, the odometer ( both the main one and trip odometer) stopped working. However, the speedometer and other controls are functioning as normal.
I just got the front Struts replaced and got the wheel alignment done. Everything was working fine even after that. Any Help!!
Call Courtesy Nissan, tell them your name and that you need a speed sender for your car. Let them know you heard of them from maxima.org and they will give you a good price. BTW, just a warning, but use the seaerch function before you ask questions, some people can get pretty hostile about questions that are asked 1,000 times, such as this one. So search on how to install the new sender yourself...
Old 07-08-2002, 10:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Odometer stopped working

Originally posted by NCSUmax

Call Courtesy Nissan, tell them your name and that you need a speed sender for your car. Let them know you heard of them from maxima.org and they will give you a good price. BTW, just a warning, but use the seaerch function before you ask questions, some people can get pretty hostile about questions that are asked 1,000 times, such as this one. So search on how to install the new sender yourself...
Can you tell me what is the possible problem with the odometer, is it some wire that has been snapped out? I did try to search with the keyword odometer but could not find anything relevant.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-08-2002, 10:11 AM

Re: Re: Re: Odometer stopped working

If your speedometer still works then It may be the odometer motor, a few maximas have had this problem, my speedometer and odometer went out and I replaced my speed sender. It is a unit on the transmission that measure your speed and sends it to the cluster. Search for "speed sender". If it is the odometer moter then your speedometer will still work, search for "odometer" as I just did, they are plenty of threads about them.
Old 07-08-2002, 02:02 PM

My odometer stopped working at 79,000 mile and has not worked since. Its a pain always estimating miles.
Old 07-08-2002, 07:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

check the speed "sender" wires (i always knew it as the speed sensor) to see if they are in good condition. my speedo and odo stopped working once and what happened was the speed sensor wires were melted onto the manifold (i think the tranny guys forgot to snap the wires back into place). i just pulled the whole sensor out cut the wires and crimped on new ones. works perfectly and i save a lot of money.
Old 07-08-2002, 10:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by mtcookson
check the speed "sender" wires (i always knew it as the speed sensor) to see if they are in good condition. my speedo and odo stopped working once and what happened was the speed sensor wires were melted onto the manifold (i think the tranny guys forgot to snap the wires back into place). i just pulled the whole sensor out cut the wires and crimped on new ones. works perfectly and i save a lot of money.

Thanks everyone. today i just tried to reset the trip odometer and WOW everything started working on its own. I hope it never goes bad again.. Well who said,I don't believe in magics??
Old 07-10-2002, 06:23 AM

I also am having a problem with my speedometer and odometer. About three weeks ago, my power steering hose blew and when I picked it up from the shop my speedometer and odometer were not working. They work kinda OK for the first few minutes and then the speedometer reads 0 and that is it until the car is completely cooled down again. I had it back to the shop and they checked the speed sender and they tell me that it is sending a signal. HELP
Old 07-10-2002, 09:31 AM

You want strange??....

My problem? After the car (89 Max-owned since new) has been driven for a while, the temp gauge goes to zero and only after a few pushes of the trip odometer does the temp gauge come back to life. I mean, the odometer is mechanical and the temp is electrical and each has nothing to do with the other, so how in the hell does pushing the odo make the temp. work again? Bizarre!
Old 07-10-2002, 10:35 AM

sigh...do i have to do everything around here :-P

http://www.angelfire.com/geek/vg30de...ix_Cluster.htm