3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help with A/C problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 10:16 AM
CHM

Help with A/C problem

1991 with no prior a/c trouble. Now a/c quits when fan is on "high". Otherwise, it seems to work OK. Any ideas on cause and remedy? Thanks,
Old 07-10-2002, 10:30 AM

Re: Help with A/C problem

Originally posted by CHM
1991 with no prior a/c trouble. Now a/c quits when fan is on "high". Otherwise, it seems to work OK. Any ideas on cause and remedy? Thanks,

hmm give me some more details. does it get cold all the time? and it only turns off when on high? does the outside air temp have any affect on it turning off? have you checked the view window for leaks? does the compressor turn on?
Old 07-10-2002, 11:28 AM
CHM

Thanks for the quick reply. The compressor kicks-on fine and I do not hear it quit at any point. The air stays cold until the fan is on "high" for a minute or so. Then, there seems to be no cooling at all. There are no bubbles in the sight glass. This has occurred on very hot days, and I haven't tested the system on cooler days (like today). Thanks
Old 07-10-2002, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by CHM
Thanks for the quick reply. The compressor kicks-on fine and I do not hear it quit at any point. The air stays cold until the fan is on "high" for a minute or so. Then, there seems to be no cooling at all. There are no bubbles in the sight glass. This has occurred on very hot days, and I haven't tested the system on cooler days (like today). Thanks
ok try this. open the hood if you look straight down where the hood latch is a few things in the area. the horn being one of them, but there is also a ambient air temp sensor located there. there are two wires going into the sensor. cut one of the wires and strip the end of it (the harness side not the sensor side). then strip part of the other wire and connect the first one (harness side). basically we are bypassing the sensor. that turned out to be the problem for me. good luck
Old 07-10-2002, 11:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by CHM
There are a couple of things I would check, 1.High side and low side pressure. There can be a problem with evaporators (thing under the dash that cools air)icing up on humid days if the compressor is overcharged and / or your thermostat is not working properly. I had that icing problem on a Datsun 510 when I lived in Florida. The tempeature sensor that is normally on the exhaust side of the evaporator was on the intake side and therefore the shut off temperature was never reached and it would eventually freeze up. This was a factory error. Sounds simple now but it took me a long long time to find the problem. Your problem sounds familiar.
Be well!!!!
Old 07-11-2002, 05:21 AM
CHM

OK, it was cooler yesterday and the a/c did not quit when the fan was set on "high". Would this indicate that the ambient temp sensor is bad, or something else? Thanks again
Old 07-11-2002, 05:31 AM

Originally posted by CHM
OK, it was cooler yesterday and the a/c did not quit when the fan was set on "high". Would this indicate that the ambient temp sensor is bad, or something else? Thanks again
Just reinforces the possibility that your evaporator is freezing up. Your symptoms are exactly what I agonized through. If you do not have the knowledge or tools to do it yourself find yourself a good AC Professional. This problem wouldn't go away, it just shows up when you need air conditioning the most.
Be well!!!!
Old 07-11-2002, 07:01 AM

Originally posted by CHM
i would say just try the sensor bypass
Old 07-11-2002, 09:52 AM

to prevent the evaporator from freezing up, try running the AC with the recirculation button pushed in. THis is the same as MAX AC in an american car and is suppose to prevent the evaporator from freezing up. have never actually tried this, so if it works let me now!!
Old 07-11-2002, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by keener
to prevent the evaporator from freezing up, try running the AC with the recirculation button pushed in. THis is the same as MAX AC in an american car and is suppose to prevent the evaporator from freezing up. have never actually tried this, so if it works let me now!!

Never thought of that, It is a good idea!! And it doesn't cost any $$
Old 07-11-2002, 11:06 AM
CHM

I usually have the recirculation button pushed and had the problem. I'm thinking the sensor versus the coil freezing because of the short interval on "high" before the a/c fails and that it works instantly again when I turn the fan down to "3" from "4".
Old 07-11-2002, 09:28 PM

Ok, I bet I know what is wrong... The climate control unit is on is getting old... Mine used to do something similar.... I had always planned on taking my climate control unit out and cleaning the contacts on the sliders and all. You may want to give that a shot.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 91 gxe.

I have similar issues.

On moderately warm days, it's fine. HOT days, it will work for a bit and might quit. I've tried every adjustment combination to the controls. The only thing I've found that works is shutting it off for a few minutes.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Help with A/C problem

Originally posted by CHM
I have the same exact problem on my 94 GXE. Does anyone know what the problem is? Is it the sensor under the hood?

Thanks.
Old 05-05-2003, 05:48 PM

my a/c cuts off at full fan with recirc on, if i go down one step its just fine. i don't know why either
Old 05-05-2003, 07:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It would be great to get to the bottom of this before prblem before I take it to the Nissan dealer. They already charged me a 100 bucks to service the air conditioner and it still does not work on the High setting. Works fine on 3, the notch below High.