4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

96 GLE auto vs mazda MR-6

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2002, 11:54 PM

96 GLE auto vs mazda MR-6

Who do you guys think will win a auto 96 max or manual maxda MR-6 i think it is. Yes i kow you will say race but i just want to know. I shoudl get my CAI in the mail like tuesday too so ill have that =].
Old 07-14-2002, 06:56 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

There's no such thing as an MR-6. Do you mean MX-6?

If it's a 4cyl, you will beat him. If it's a 6cyl Auto, you'll beat him. If it's a 6cyl manual...it'll be close, if he can drive...
Old 07-14-2002, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by mzmtg
There's no such thing as an MR-6. Do you mean MX-6?

If it's a 4cyl, you will beat him. If it's a 6cyl Auto, you'll beat him. If it's a 6cyl manual...it'll be close, if he can drive...

yea thats what i mean i guess i wasnt really sure what it was. But its a chick who said she has a racing engine in it. And im like OK lets race and see.
Old 07-14-2002, 12:00 PM
SLOW

I love when people say retarded things like "it's got a racing engine." Someone stupid enough to say that, I'm sure you can take her.
Old 07-14-2002, 12:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mblasko85

yea thats what i mean i guess i wasnt really sure what it was. But its a chick who said she has a racing engine in it. And im like OK lets race and see.
lol, you know its got that Mazda Formula One engine that fits right in the MX-6 engine bay.... Beat her a$$!!

-Jon
Old 07-14-2002, 01:50 PM

Re: 96 GLE auto vs mazda MR-6

Who do you guys think will win a auto 96 max or manual maxda MR-6 i think it is. Yes i kow you will say race but i just want to know. I shoudl get my CAI in the mail like tuesday too so ill have that =].
I used to own a MX6 GT and it was one quick car, It was a 1990 and in that year they came with an intercooler. They were very underated at 140 HP but were pulling about 205 lbs of torque. If hes not intercooled you will probably win, if intercooled the only way to know is race and find out. It was a fun ride and I ran it hard!
Old 07-14-2002, 02:22 PM

you should win

I raced an MX-6 a couple of days ago with 2 people in my car. The guy had 1 and I smoked him. I was even able to play with him a little. I was surprised...maybe he had something wrong with his engine or something. Either way he challenged me so I took it up. I have an auto 97 SE (stock). With your CAI you should smoke her. Go for it.
Old 07-14-2002, 02:26 PM

Go 4 it man!
Old 07-14-2002, 04:24 PM

Re: you should win

Originally posted by Neuhowse
I raced an MX-6 a couple of days ago with 2 people in my car. The guy had 1 and I smoked him. I was even able to play with him a little. I was surprised...maybe he had something wrong with his engine or something. Either way he challenged me so I took it up. I have an auto 97 SE (stock). With your CAI you should smoke her. Go for it.
The LX and DX MX6 are 110 Horsepower 4 cylinder cars. They have only 1 exhaust pipe, that is how you spot them. They will be no challenge. The GT with the Turbo will have twin exhaust stacks. I traded in my GT on a new 95 Maxima 5 speed GXE. The Max was a little faster, but remember that year Max GXE with a 5 speed was a very fast car at the time. I do not think an automatic would have taken it. When you race the MX6 check out the exhaust to know what you running against. There aren't a lot of GTs around sorta like the Buick GNXs but they are quick. Oh yes, some testing was done on MX6 GT, It was puting out about 200 hp and 205 foot pounds of torque at the crank.
Old 07-14-2002, 08:39 PM
I like Maximas

power to the max

ok i see your situation here.

first you need to determine the type of mx-6 you will be racing. there are two types of bodies a newer rounder one 93+ and an older square volvo-like one 92-.

The newer ones have two types of engines a 4 cyl which is nothing compared to the max and a 2.5L V6 which makes about 165hp @6K rpm. Coupled with a stick tranny the mx6 V6 can be a challenge due to the differences in weight. to tell the diffrence look at the exhaust. one pipe stack it's a 4. two it's a 6. However if it's you in your max and the girl in the V6 stick it could be either depending on skill.

The older MX-6's have 4 cyl engines and one is a N/A and the other is a Turbo. THe turbo with stick can be a challenge, but only if the car has been well maintained. To tell the difference like karguy said would be to look at the exhaust.

To address the racing engine problem. There is a JDM Mazda V6 that had been transplanted for some of the newer mx-6/626 V6 engines it's a more powerful engine due to higher compression pistons and a freer-flowing intake maniford. All in all it produces about 200hp @6K rpm. Unless she had THAT ENGINE shipped from Japan and transplanted into her V6 mx6, she must be smoking some good crack. In reality she probably has an intake shich makes her engine sound like a racing engine giving her the false impression, in that case wipe the asphalt with her.

My advice is to minimize the weight of your max before you race her as that would effectively increase acceleration, and to take this race seriously, even though you have about an 85% chance of victory. Check you tire pressure, as well -- over-inflation robs your max of bottom end speed and underinflation robs it of top-end speed. All in all go out there Race her, Be serious, Have fun, and we're all behind you, Smoke her!

-Vadiim
Old 07-14-2002, 08:44 PM

Re: power to the max

Originally posted by vipervadim
ok i see your situation here.

first you need to determine the type of mx-6 you will be racing. there are two types of bodies a newer rounder one 93+ and an older square volvo-like one 92-.

The newer ones have two types of engines a 4 cyl which is nothing compared to the max and a 2.5L V6 which makes about 165hp @6K rpm. Coupled with a stick tranny the mx6 V6 can be a challenge due to the differences in weight. to tell the diffrence look at the exhaust. one pipe stack it's a 4. two it's a 6. However if it's you in your max and the girl in the V6 stick it could be either depending on skill.

The older MX-6's have 4 cyl engines and one is a N/A and the other is a Turbo. THe turbo with stick can be a challenge, but only if the car has been well maintained. To tell the difference like karguy said would be to look at the exhaust.

To address the racing engine problem. There is a JDM Mazda V6 that had been transplanted for some of the newer mx-6/626 V6 engines it's a more powerful engine due to higher compression pistons and a freer-flowing intake maniford. All in all it produces about 200hp @6K rpm. Unless she had THAT ENGINE shipped from Japan and transplanted into her V6 mx6, she must be smoking some good crack. In reality she probably has an intake shich makes her engine sound like a racing engine giving her the false impression, in that case wipe the asphalt with her.

My advice is to minimize the weight of your max before you race her as that would effectively increase acceleration, and to take this race seriously, even though you have about an 85% chance of victory. Check you tire pressure, as well -- over-inflation robs your max of bottom end speed and underinflation robs it of top-end speed. All in all go out there Race her, Be serious, Have fun, and we're all behind you, Smoke her!

-Vadiim

Where can I get the Cliff Notes to your post, Vadiim?
Old 07-14-2002, 10:47 PM

Re: Re: power to the max

Originally posted by Neuhowse

Where can I get the Cliff Notes to your post, Vadiim?

Thanks everyone... I believe it only has one exaust (sp) but anyways she is not that good w/ clutch so i believe. =] haha shes toast. But i really hope she dont have that RACING ENGINE. LOL anyways thanks a lot. Oh and the guy she bought it from was a racer too. And he taught her how to shift but i asked her bout her car and shes like hmmm yea all i know is that its fast. lol thanks bye
Old 07-15-2002, 12:16 AM

Tell her you'll race her for sex.
Old 07-15-2002, 09:56 AM
I like Maximas

Re: Re: 96 GLE auto vs mazda MR-6

Originally posted by voltman

Tell her you'll race her for sex.
voltman when you're right you're right. If you win you'll do her, if you lose, she'll do you. that's what you call a win-win situation.

mblasko85 make sure you post the results of the race.
Old 07-15-2002, 11:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: 96 GLE auto vs mazda MR-6

Originally posted by vipervadim

voltman when you're right you're right. If you win you'll do her, if you lose, she'll do you. that's what you call a win-win situation.

mblasko85 make sure you post the results of the race.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 96 GLE auto vs mazda MR-6

Originally posted by skeelo34

i sure will post them =]
Old 07-15-2002, 12:16 PM
SLOW

To the guy who said they weren't, all F2Ts (thats the engine in the 88-91 626 turbo, 88-92 MX6 GT, and 89-92 Probe GT) were intercooled. Every single one of them. I've owned 3 of them by the way.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:33 PM

Back in the day when i was stock , and my friend had his mazda mx6 5 speed, V6 it had cold air , and exhuast, and we were sisting dead even, and he could really drive... so im guessing if your going to get a CAI and your friend is stock...i think you can take him...but it will be close.

-ChRi§
Old 07-15-2002, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
To the guy who said they weren't, all F2Ts (thats the engine in the 88-91 626 turbo, 88-92 MX6 GT, and 89-92 Probe GT) were intercooled. Every single one of them. I've owned 3 of them by the way.
There were earlier models that were not intercooled, my friend at work had one, it was turbocharged but no intercooler. He had bought it new and it never had 1. Something else sticks in my mind it might have been a 626 Turbocharged car. I had a 1990 and his car looked more than 2 years old. It could have been that car was the precursor of the MX6 GT. In 5 years of ownership the only problem I had was when the EGR Valve was acting up and caused check engine soon light to come on. I really beat that car up and all it did was perform flawlessly. If you owned 3 of them you know what I mean. Impressive engineering with the speed sensitive power steering and the ability to change suspension with a touch of a button in 1990. I had a silver one and it looked fast just sitting there. I traded it in on a new 1995 GXE 5 speed after a truck threw a tread and made a mess of the front end and me with a $500 deductible. They offered me a very good on the Max so I jumped on it.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:44 PM

MX-6

I used to have an '96 MX-6, it was fun and zippy, the four cylinder is no problem, if you see one exhaust tip, your in for an easy race, on the other hand, the race engine mentioned earlier in this post is the FSZE mazda 2.5 V6, as was stated before it has 200hp due to high compression pistons and a free intake manifold, but these engines aren't as scarce or expensive as was implied, one of these engines can be easily acquired from corksport.com for around 3000 dollars. If she has this coupled with a stick, and you are auto, prepare to get spanked, but the fact that she refers to it as a "race engine" and not any kind of technical term leads me to believe that you will have an easy win. I recently raced a stick mx-6 v6 in my auto 99 GLE with my brother in the car with me, i took a half a car on him at the line, he stuck to my left rear door like glue until about 4000 rpm's in second gear and then i never looked back.
Old 07-16-2002, 02:21 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by karguy

There were earlier models that were not intercooled, my friend at work had one, it was turbocharged but no intercooler. He had bought it new and it never had 1. Something else sticks in my mind it might have been a 626 Turbocharged car. I had a 1990 and his car looked more than 2 years old. It could have been that car was the precursor of the MX6 GT. In 5 years of ownership the only problem I had was when the EGR Valve was acting up and caused check engine soon light to come on. I really beat that car up and all it did was perform flawlessly. If you owned 3 of them you know what I mean. Impressive engineering with the speed sensitive power steering and the ability to change suspension with a touch of a button in 1990. I had a silver one and it looked fast just sitting there. I traded it in on a new 1995 GXE 5 speed after a truck threw a tread and made a mess of the front end and me with a $500 deductible. They offered me a very good on the Max so I jumped on it.
Really? I owned an 88 626 turbo, 89 PGT, and 90 MX6 GT, and all of them were intercooled. I knew alot of guys with them too, and never heard of a non-intercooled one. Learn something new every day I suppose.