4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

May I ask a big favor from someone with a '97/'99 Factory Service Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 11:48 AM
Licensed to Spell

May I ask a big favor from someone with a '97/'99 Factory Service Manual?

Hi. I am thiiiiiis close to buying a HomeLink visor out of a '97 for my '96. I am just slightly concerned that I won't be able to hook it up. I do own the F.S.M. for my car but obviously it's a '96 F.S.M. and they didn't offer the HomeLink in '96. Could I trouble someone to scan and post/e-mail me the page(s) in the '97/'99 F.S.M. that covers the HomeLink? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks so much.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:05 AM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Please. ?
Old 07-16-2002, 09:16 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you don't get any response by tonight, I'll send you copy when I get home from work. I don't have access to it here at work.

Send me an email at eric@ericj.org to remind me.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:21 AM
ejj

The more I think about it...

I don't think there's any "hooking up" required. I don't know this, but I would bet that it runs off a watch battery or something, and I know that it doesn't interface with the car at all. Its just like any other remote opener.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:29 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by ejj
If you don't get any response by tonight, I'll send you copy when I get home from work. I don't have access to it here at work.

Send me an email at eric@ericj.org to remind me.
Thanks ejj, that means a lot to me. I'd really appreciate that. I just sent you an e-mail.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:36 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by ejj
The more I think about it...

I don't think there's any "hooking up" required. I don't know this, but I would bet that it runs off a watch battery or something, and I know that it doesn't interface with the car at all. Its just like any other remote opener.

I've thought of that too. But no one can tell me for sure. Is it self-powered/battery-operated? Does it tap into the same power as the lighted mirrors? Is the actual sending unit outside of the visor? Etc, etc. That's why I was hoping for the FSM pages. Thanks again.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:45 AM
ejj

Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed

I've thought of that too. But no one can tell me for sure. Is it self-powered/battery-operated? Does it tap into the same power as the lighted mirrors? Is the actual sending unit outside of the visor? Etc, etc. That's why I was hoping for the FSM pages. Thanks again.
Understood. I'll dig them up tonight for you. I have a hunch that the FSM won't be a lot of help, as I would think its all self contained in the visor. Hell, if I can't find anything in the FSM I'll take off my visor and look for wires.
Old 07-16-2002, 11:07 AM

Buddy of mine did it in his Maxaim from an I30 Loaner car. Worked like a charm very plug and play.
Old 07-16-2002, 12:13 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by Kevin
Buddy of mine did it in his Maxaim from an I30 Loaner car. Worked like a charm very plug and play.
Right, but he probably had a '97/'99, right? I figured that would be plug and play. I'm just concerned about it going in a '95/'96. Thanks Kevin.
Old 07-16-2002, 12:45 PM

Right, but he probably had a '97/'99, right? I figured that would be plug and play. I'm just concerned about it going in a '95/'96. Thanks Kevin.
His Maxima is a 96, but I beleive the i30 was a 97.

Kevin
Old 07-16-2002, 01:26 PM

I remember looking at the homelink diagram in my FSM. It appears to be just a regular power supply wired to the visor, nothing special. I don't have a scanner at home but I could try taking a picture of the page with my crappy digital camera.
Old 07-16-2002, 02:18 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by genepool
I remember looking at the homelink diagram in my FSM. It appears to be just a regular power supply wired to the visor, nothing special. I don't have a scanner at home but I could try taking a picture of the page with my crappy digital camera.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks gene.
Old 07-16-2002, 02:30 PM

Disconect the battery.

If some one is at home, and has the multi-link transceiver, disconect the batery, and see if it still works. If it does, it has a batery.
Old 07-16-2002, 07:12 PM
ejj

ptatohed - You got mail!

To sum it up, from the way the FSM reads (the quick look that I took), all the Homelink electronics are in the visor, and power is supplied from the fuse box.

Nothing to complicated. The diagram did indicate that there would be a plug somewhere, but your guess is as good as mine.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:16 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by ejj
ptatohed - You got mail!

To sum it up, from the way the FSM reads (the quick look that I took), all the Homelink electronics are in the visor, and power is supplied from the fuse box.

Nothing to complicated. The diagram did indicate that there would be a plug somewhere, but your guess is as good as mine.
Eric, I already thanked you via e-mail but, let me do so here as well. I am sooo very grateful to you. You're a life-saver. Thanks again for taking the time to do that for me yesterday evening. Wether it's 'plug and play' is still unknown but I do feel confident that I'll be able to get it working. Thanks again.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:42 PM
Licensed to Spell

Eric, just wanted to give you a follow up 'thank you'. Everything worked out 100% perfect. Thanks again for your time/help.

- Josh
Old 09-05-2002, 09:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Eric, just wanted to give you a follow up 'thank you'. Everything worked out 100% perfect. Thanks again for your time/help.

- Josh
so how'd u wire it?
Jae
Old 09-06-2002, 01:31 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by ThurzNite

so how'd u wire it?
Jae
It's easier than I ever imagined! It's 100% 'plug n play'. Same number of wires, same colored wires, same plug. My conclusion is if you have a car with lighted vanity mirrors, it will fit right on. I was so stoked!

Now if I only had a garage door...
Old 09-06-2002, 04:22 PM
¿Hablas Español?

Re: Re: Re: :o)

It's easier than I ever imagined! It's 100% 'plug n play'. Same number of wires, same colored wires, same plug. My conclusion is if you have a car with lighted vanity mirrors, it will fit right on. I was so stoked!

Now if I only had a garage door...
If you do end up with a garage door to open, be aware of the fact that the 97 HomeLink doesn't work with rolling code doors unless you get a receiver that handles static codes and then transmits a rolling code. Of course, that essentially the security benefit of having rolling codes but I guess it adds convenience. Supposedly late 98 and forward models support rolling codes.

Cheers,

JK