4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Question about 4th Gen starter/remote start...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 08:18 PM

Question about 4th Gen starter/remote start...

I'm going to install a DEI remote start alarm this weekend and I have a question about the neutral safety wire. I have already asked this in the Audio/Security section and I can't seem to get an answer about this issue. In my wiring diagrams for the 96 SE, the neutral safety switch should be a Green/Orange wire at the switch. There is one Green/Orange wire in the steering column, and that doesn't seem to be it. Could someone maybe check their helms/shop manual for this? I was told that there should be a toggle switch installed for that wire. Yes, there should be. But in the installers manual, it also says to hook the wire up to the car's neutral safety switch. So I'm asking anyone who has put a remote start in their 4th gen, what did you hook this wire up to?

I'm sorry if some of you feel this is in the wrong area, I already tried the Security section and didn't get a good answer. I'm just trying to reach more 4th gen owners.

Thanks...
Old 07-16-2002, 10:29 PM

Re: Question about 4th Gen starter/remote start...

Originally posted by maximadriver
I'm going to install a DEI remote start alarm this weekend and I have a question about the neutral safety wire. I have already asked this in the Audio/Security section and I can't seem to get an answer about this issue. In my wiring diagrams for the 96 SE, the neutral safety switch should be a Green/Orange wire at the switch. There is one Green/Orange wire in the steering column, and that doesn't seem to be it. Could someone maybe check their helms/shop manual for this? I was told that there should be a toggle switch installed for that wire. Yes, there should be. But in the installers manual, it also says to hook the wire up to the car's neutral safety switch. So I'm asking anyone who has put a remote start in their 4th gen, what did you hook this wire up to?

I'm sorry if some of you feel this is in the wrong area, I already tried the Security section and didn't get a good answer. I'm just trying to reach more 4th gen owners.

Thanks...
I had a DEI remote start in my car, but soon got rid of it because our Max's have bad starters. At numerous times, my car would not start on the first start remotely. But, anyway, are you talking about the wire for shutting the car OFF if the brake is applied without the key in the ignition? In mine, I didn't hook up this circuit to the neutral safety switch. I was told to tap this circuit into the positive side of the brake wire (red/green). This way, if anybody attempts to steal the car when remotely started, and the brake is applied (without key in ignition, of course) the car would shut OFF. The BRAKE must be applied to switch into gear, right? So, why not tap into the brake wire instead of the nuetral safety switch? I hope this helps any.
Old 07-17-2002, 12:31 AM

There is a wire you need to hook up to the parking brake switch or your brake pedal switch. Then i think you just can hookup the wire you are talking about to a ground via a toggle switch supplied with the kit. That's if you have an automatic, but if it's manual then you have to locate the neutral switch by your shifter and hookit up to that.( i'm not sure where is the exact location)Also you need to wire up a relay to bypass your clutch safety switch. Let me know if you need more help. I did my own alarm/remote starter install on my car and a few dozen other cars.
Old 07-17-2002, 07:02 AM

I have already found and tapped the wire for the brake switch. But what you said makes sense about the brake being used to move the car into gear. I have an automatic btw. I was trying to hook this wire up so that if the car was left in gear, it wouldn't start. But since it's an automatic, you can't remove the key unless the car is in neutral or drive, so I don't think I have much to worry about. I am going to install the remote start disable switch so I don't have to worry about it when I get my oil changed/etc.

Does anyone know what or where this Green/Orange wire is?

Thanks...