4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I did my research and found the best CAI

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 10:30 AM

I did my research and found the best CAI

And its Injen's CAI! Why is it the best? I think it is because you do not have to drill a hole in your fender! Weeee! Great news for all 4th gen Maxima enthusiast! Don't waste you time with any others. Unless you want to save a couple bucks. I think its more expensive than place racing's.

Here take a look....
http://www.injen.com/webpages/intake.../rd/rd1930.jpg
Old 07-18-2002, 10:40 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Where does that intake go to in order to get cold air?
Old 07-18-2002, 10:48 AM

looks good. yeah I like the idea of not drilling any holes. I did it once and it sucks. The job came out good but I only did it for my friend and if I have to do it again, i'm chargin peeps!
Old 07-18-2002, 11:30 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: I did my research and found the best CAI

Originally posted by Chino
And its Injen's CAI! Why is it the best? I think it is because you do not have to drill a hole in your fender! Weeee! Great news for all 4th gen Maxima enthusiast! Don't waste you time with any others. Unless you want to save a couple bucks. I think its more expensive than place racing's.

Here take a look....
This Injen intake looks really good, but extremely expensive...$340?! **** mang!! That's like twice the price of some other intakes, which is kinda hard to justify. Is this intake really worth the price? Is it that much better than the Frankencar intake? Thanks!

-Jon
Old 07-18-2002, 11:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It probably reacts like any other CAI on a Max.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:03 PM
SLOW

Haha a $340 intake, no thanks. I'll stick with my $100 POP Charger and be quicker than people who spent 4x as much on theirs
Old 07-18-2002, 12:12 PM
Banned

the injen intake goes right behide the raditor
Old 07-18-2002, 12:14 PM

I found it on autoparts.com for $238.00 but it only lists the 2000-2002 max.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:18 PM

i have the injen and paid 250...and it is great and looks great...sounds good also around 4000-5500 rpm...from what i've heard i think it will be similar to the other cai. 95emeral might be having a GD for the injen cai soon check the forum
Old 07-18-2002, 12:21 PM
ejj

Originally posted by RI-Max
the injen intake goes right behide the raditor
Where is can suck in the freshly warmed air passing through the coolant. That doesn't make a lot of sense. If having cold air means that much to you, get the PR CAI.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:54 PM

So not having to drill a hole makes it the best?
Wow look at that hard data to back up the Injen's CAI is the best.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:57 PM

Where does that pick up air from, behind the radiator?
Old 07-18-2002, 01:15 PM

hybrid is the way to go
Old 07-18-2002, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by korupter
hybrid is the way to go
Yes it is.

My Full Hybrid CAI:
http://www.voicenet.com/~breaux/car/cai/cai.html
Old 07-18-2002, 04:14 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

you guys are babies; just drill the damn hole.
Old 07-18-2002, 04:27 PM

Lets just say that all the CAIs available for the Maxima give you the same hp/torque gain. Well, Injen's CAI system would be the "best" in my eyes simply because you do not have to drill a damn whole. Unless you have some fetish with drilling holes and you enjoy the art of drilling holes, I don't see why you would buy any other one. Not to mention it looks a hell of alot better than the other ones. Its not as big name as AEM (those bastards don't even make CAI for us) but its the biggest name ever to make a an intake for us. Other than maybe HKS. After all if you don't own a Nissan, Place Racing is just some no name brand. I think I'm might accidently start a big argument on this subject. I don't want to start a Wal-Mart/Versace war of big name brands versus no name brands. Pardon me if I've created conflict. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2002, 05:01 PM

For the sake of love, get a frannkencar or PRCAI or cattman CAI !!!!!

I said this earlier in another thread, If you gonna get INJEN because you like the look, then go for it. But please dont think its gonna have drastically better performance than other intakes. All intakes are about the same. I got PRCAI for the look. I like how it cleans up the engine bay. But if I had to get an intake again, I'd get frankencar, because it's cheap, looks good, and performs as good, if not better than PRCAI.
Old 07-18-2002, 05:09 PM
aka UNCDooD

what do you think about the weapon-r intake? just like the rest or what?
Old 07-18-2002, 06:28 PM

Here take a look....
For the place reacing intake where exactly do you have to drill the hole and is it noticalbe from outside the car?
Old 07-18-2002, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by UNCDooD
what do you think about the weapon-r intake? just like the rest or what?
It uses a foam filter, no? Foam can deteriate under harsh conditions. I have an Injen on my 2k2. I don't know where is sits in the 4th gen, but mine sits off to the side of the radiator, just under the battery actually.

Heard about www.adventon.com here on the Org and ordered one for $227 shipped.

With any choice you'll be happy.
http://www.wolfish.net/maxima/DCP_0054.jpg
Old 07-18-2002, 06:58 PM

i made my own and ive yet to be beat by any NA maxima hahahah
Old 07-18-2002, 07:05 PM

not sure if this was said but wat kind of filter comes with the injen?
Old 07-18-2002, 07:08 PM

i cant believe frankencar has not been recommended by more than 1 guy

from all the MANY posts on this very issue, the frankencar seems to be the best as it does not require a hole, does not lower low end power or high end, it has a nice even increase all across the board and sounds fantastic (from what I hear, mine should be here any day). and the price is hard to beat unless you make it yourself, so, the choice was obvious to me.
Old 07-18-2002, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by Miasma
i cant believe frankencar has not been recommended by more than 1 guy

from all the MANY posts on this very issue, the frankencar seems to be the best as it does not require a hole, does not lower low end power or high end, it has a nice even increase all across the board and sounds fantastic (from what I hear, mine should be here any day). and the price is hard to beat unless you make it yourself, so, the choice was obvious to me.
simply becase the thread says CAI
Old 07-18-2002, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by Nismo

simply becase the thread says CAI
symantics........
Old 07-18-2002, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
Haha a $340 intake, no thanks. I'll stick with my $100 POP Charger and be quicker than people who spent 4x as much on theirs

Isnt a POP charger worthless off the start. I have no actual data that backs me up (that is just what i heard) so a place racing CAI will most likely be better off the line. So i hear
Old 07-18-2002, 11:48 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by Nealoc187
sure as hell won't be cause of that weak pop charger
Old 07-19-2002, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by breaux124

Yes it is.

My Full Hybrid CAI:
http://www.voicenet.com/~breaux/car/cai/cai.html
Breaux, that's the same setup my friend and are going to make for my car. Except, that it'll be homemade from 3" mandrel bent aluminized steel from summit racing and some couplers from Home Depot. He's got a digicam, so I'll post some pics and do a how to (for those interested) when we get to it.
Old 07-19-2002, 06:36 AM

Originally posted by SillePimp

Breaux, that's the same setup my friend and are going to make for my car. Except, that it'll be homemade from 3" mandrel bent aluminized steel from summit racing and some couplers from Home Depot. He's got a digicam, so I'll post some pics and do a how to (for those interested) when we get to it.
Back in the day, about 2.5+ yrs ago. Place Racing made a Cold air kit for people who already had an intake with Velocity stack. I was lucky enough to get one of these older, and limited kits.

The current Place Racing kits (and most other CAIs) do not have a velocity stack, they just have a filter attached to an open tube.
Old 07-19-2002, 07:20 AM

Originally posted by mblasko85

Isnt a POP charger worthless off the start. I have no actual data that backs me up (that is just what i heard) so a place racing CAI will most likely be better off the line. So i hear
If the popcharger is "worthless off the start". Then a CAI is "worthless at high speeds".
Old 07-19-2002, 07:53 AM
pmg

Originally posted by clee130

If the popcharger is "worthless off the start". Then a CAI is "worthless at high speeds".
Popcharger is great if you know how to use it. Don't expect anything below 3500 rpms, but after that it's sweet, especially when temps are below 75. I have seen this quoted many times - "the fastest n/a track times are always with popchargers.
Old 07-19-2002, 08:04 AM

sounds good.. but it isn't that hard to drill a hole
Old 07-19-2002, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by breaux124

Back in the day, about 2.5+ yrs ago. Place Racing made a Cold air kit for people who already had an intake with Velocity stack. I was lucky enough to get one of these older, and limited kits.

The current Place Racing kits (and most other CAIs) do not have a velocity stack, they just have a filter attached to an open tube.
I'm going to attach an intake adapter at the end of the tube to use my current pop charger.
Old 07-19-2002, 08:35 AM

Even better!

This is def. a opinion topic. "get whatever floats your boat!" But, I found some real winners for a Cold Air Intake.

1. Get the one that mounts infront of your radiator!
2. Re-route one of your AC vents to your throttlebody, who needs A/C.
3. Keep your factory airbox, but put Ice packs in your airbox and replace the filter with a panty hose.
4. Do some tubing work and wrap a active freon line from a mini frig around your intake hose.
5. Nitrous!! muhahahahaha.
6. Take off your front left headlight off and replace it with a foglamp and route your filter to go infront of your battery.
7. Put a small bottle of liquid oxygen with a pressure regulator on it to let LOX flow steadily into the intake.
Enjoy!
Old 07-19-2002, 09:03 AM
ivelweyz

Re: Even better!

Originally posted by 1SikMax
This is def. a opinion topic. "get whatever floats your boat!" But, I found some real winners for a Cold Air Intake.

1. Get the one that mounts infront of your radiator!
2. Re-route one of your AC vents to your throttlebody, who needs A/C.
3. Keep your factory airbox, but put Ice packs in your airbox and replace the filter with a panty hose.
4. Do some tubing work and wrap a active freon line from a mini frig around your intake hose.
5. Nitrous!! muhahahahaha.
6. Take off your front left headlight off and replace it with a foglamp and route your filter to go infront of your battery.
7. Put a small bottle of liquid oxygen with a pressure regulator on it to let LOX flow steadily into the intake.
Enjoy!
Putting ice pack in the box just blocks the path of the air rushing through,restricting air flow. Why would u want that?

Old 07-19-2002, 09:28 AM

Re: Re: Even better!

He was obviously kidding.....
Old 07-19-2002, 09:32 AM

Re: Re: Even better!

Originally posted by ivelweyz

Putting ice pack in the box just blocks the path of the air rushing through,restricting air flow. Why would u want that?
I think he was making fun of these ideas but I am sure sombody thought the ice would cool the intake charge.

One thing I like about my hybrid/short ram setup is the air has a nice straight shot into the throttle body. The PR cai has many curves in it and this one looks worse. No one has said where this one picks up cold air in the engine compartment, but with the pipe routed by the radiator like thatI am sure it will heat up some. I did an intake temperature test a few weeks ago with my hybrid and in most normal driving the intake temp stayed within 20 deg of the outside temp. Only during long stops (more than 1 min) the temps rose higher. Driving quickly lowers the temps close to outsid temp and during a short stop (less than 30 sec) the temp would barly rise at all.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:45 AM

Umm

The intake looks good and all, but sombody has already tryed this, they dynoed it too...and got **** from it... show some numbers, if your so convinced this is the best... im really not sure what to belive.

-ChRi§
Old 07-19-2002, 09:59 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by clee130

a CAI doesn't do anything at high speeds...just in the beginning....so yea u right
Old 07-19-2002, 10:10 AM

Think about this

Originally posted by meccanoble

a CAI doesn't do anything at high speeds...just in the beginning....so yea u right
That is tru, but think about this...they say that pop chargers suck becuase they dont help you at 3K and below RPM.... umm ok ...i dont know about you but if now has relized this im going to point it out...the only time your below 3K rpm, is like the first 2 seconds of the race... at the drag strip or on the streets, when your racing, your rpms always are above 4...unless u really stick at driving...so wouldent that make the pop charger overal better for racing..since when it helps most, is in your powerband range, and thats what u stay in the whole time when you race....

-ChRi§

Quick Reply: I did my research and found the best CAI