4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is my brake reservoir switch wire is short?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 03:10 PM

Is my brake reservoir switch wire is short?

The resistance between the 2 wires of the brake oil reservoir switch is 0 ohms. I am not sure if it is normal or the wire is short some where. How can I fix this short? One wire is yellow and the other is black. Because of this my brake warning light stay on all the time.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:58 PM

Re: Is my brake reservoir switch wire is short?

mipinc

How are you measuring the resistance to get 0 ohms - with the connector disconnected?

Check the harness first: disconnect the connector, get a couple of paper clips and measure the resistance across the two wires at the connector. 0 ohms and your wiring is shorted. Infinite resistance and your switch is probably stuck.
Old 07-19-2002, 06:42 AM

Re: Re: Is my brake reservoir switch wire is short?

Originally posted by pocketrocket
mipinc

How are you measuring the resistance to get 0 ohms - with the connector disconnected?

Check the harness first: disconnect the connector, get a couple of paper clips and measure the resistance across the two wires at the connector. 0 ohms and your wiring is shorted. Infinite resistance and your switch is probably stuck.
It is 0 ohms across 2 wires. Where are the wires going to? Are they going to ECU. It seems like there is a short and that is the reason why my brake warning light stay on all the time.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:19 AM

Re: Re: Re: Is my brake reservoir switch wire is short?

One goes to any ground (body earth would do fine).

The other is spliced to the circuit that goes from the meter to the e-brake switch.

I have no idea where your short is, one thing you could do is rewire the circuits ... if you're up for it that is

You sure your e-brake switch is not stuck in the up position (grounded)? If it is, you'll end up measuring close to 0 ohms across the two wires at the brake oil switch connector. You've probably done this already but disconnect the connector from the e-brake switch and see if it goes away.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:28 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Is my brake reservoir switch wire is short?

Originally posted by pocketrocket
One goes to any ground (body earth would do fine).

The other is spliced to the circuit that goes from the meter to the e-brake switch.

I have no idea where your short is, one thing you could do is rewire the circuits ... if you're up for it that is

You sure your e-brake switch is not stuck in the up position (grounded)? If it is, you'll end up measuring close to 0 ohms across the two wires at the brake oil switch connector. You've probably done this already but disconnect the connector from the e-brake switch and see if it goes away.
e-brake switch is not grounded. I checked that but I tried to follow the live wire from the oil senor and lsot it when it join a harnes and disappear in the metal body. Where exactly it is ending inside the compartment?
Old 07-19-2002, 02:06 PM

Thank you all

THe problem is fixed. It was the abs warning light wire connecting to the brake light circuit. I moved the wire and the light was gone.
Old 07-19-2002, 02:35 PM

Re: Thank you all

Yay