4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

skeelo's 5 speed smoked my CAI & y-pipe....:(

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 09:09 PM
Sports Button FTW

skeelo's 5 speed smoked my CAI & y-pipe....:(

me and skeelo played a little game of catch up and i was up for it...i'm behind him and all he's doing is speeding away....i'm like wtf...stupid y-pipe...what are u good for?! He had an intake too but jesus his pick up was ridiculous....i expected more from my car....

maybe it was cause i had 200 pounds of equipment in my trunk...hmmm...lol...but he had amps and 2 12's so the weight should have been kind of close...

OH AND CONVERSION IS HAPPENING AS WE SPEAK!!!!! I'm so excited!! and i just can't hide it!! Stick i want you! i want you!!!
Old 07-18-2002, 09:21 PM

yeah, it will take a bit for an auto max to pull on a 5speed. im not sure on his skee's times but for you to run with him you would prolly need intake y-pipe exhaust cat and vbmod. with all that you would smoke most stock 5speeds but some are monsters
Old 07-18-2002, 11:53 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by DTR Maxima
yeah, it will take a bit for an auto max to pull on a 5speed. im not sure on his skee's times but for you to run with him you would prolly need intake y-pipe exhaust cat and vbmod. with all that you would smoke most stock 5speeds but some are monsters
dam, 5 speed makes such a difference, and i thought it only shifted better but i think its more...cause my auto shifts at 6,000 rpm...so what the hell is the difference in shifting?
Old 07-19-2002, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by meccanoble

dam, 5 speed makes such a difference, and i thought it only shifted better but i think its more...cause my auto shifts at 6,000 rpm...so what the hell is the difference in shifting?
but most of the time the torque convertor is taking its sweet time before it actually transfers the power to the wheels
Old 07-19-2002, 01:13 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by Nismo

but most of the time the torque convertor is taking its sweet time before it actually transfers the power to the wheels
oh s h i t, just realized that...even when i floor the gas, it takes a good second to second and a half hesitation before i get the full reaction of my action...hmm...dam his car had so much hit, the torque on first gear is ridiculous...this must be illegal to drive on residential streets lol...and if corvettes, skylines and porshes are faster than a 5 speed max wit intake, then i don't know what to say.....
Old 07-19-2002, 01:15 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have to comment that with a 5-speed, you have instant power available to you ALL THE TIME, as long as you're set in the right gear, you can punch it at any instant. And just to hear that Cone Filter purr...
Old 07-19-2002, 05:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It should not even be close if the 5spd guy drive it properly. An auto Maxima with all the NA bolt ons usually run low 15s. Some stock 5spd guys can do high 14s stock!

I would love to do a 5spd conversion myself, but not possible right now. I'll have to put up with the darn auto for now. Instead of doing a 5spd swap, I plan to just get another car with a manual tranny next time around(much easier than doing a conversion), definitely won't be another Maxima.
Old 07-19-2002, 05:48 AM

Where is bags's video, "Auto beating a 5 speed on the highway?"
Old 07-19-2002, 05:54 AM

A VB mod does help considerably.

Tell him to drive up to Seattle....I'll race him!

Old 07-19-2002, 10:09 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by iansw

hahaah, so unfair...little ol intake vs supercharger, MEVI, and like 100 other bolt ons....

iansw, u fastest in the northwest right?
Old 07-19-2002, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by TurDz
I have to comment that with a 5-speed, you have instant power available to you ALL THE TIME, as long as you're set in the right gear, you can punch it at any instant. And just to hear that Cone Filter purr...
Manual shifting with an auto provides the same thing. Meccanoble you can shift into 2nd, 3rd, 4th whenever you want if you manually shift it. Rather than punching the gas and waiting for the torque converters slow *** to do something, down shift yourself and you get instant reaction. Ive won SOOOOO many more races from a rolling start because I have gotten very good at manual shifting.
Try this: Start in 1st, shift to 2nd. Rather than punching it in second and waiting for the power, downshift to 1st and punch. Notice the HUGE difference? I've chirped my tires numerous times doing this. Make sure though that you hit the gas when you down shift to 1st because otherwise your tranny and engine get too stressed out.

Oh and before someone says this is bad for my tranny, Ive been doing this for about 2 years now. My tranny has 60k miles on it and I brought it in to be checked just to be cautious and they told me the tranny is in great shape for 60k miles. Your doing the same thing it does when you manual shift, only your doing it faster.
Old 07-19-2002, 08:59 PM

hmmm, i gotta try that. good to see someone stick up for our automagics.....
Old 07-19-2002, 09:07 PM

diff is 5spd, the clutch engages directly to the drivetrain, and there is no waiting, no lag....auto has to go thru the torque converter then to the something else bla bla bla....its gay
Old 07-19-2002, 09:28 PM

hahaah, so unfair...little ol intake vs supercharger, MEVI, and like 100 other bolt ons....

iansw, u fastest in the northwest right?
Actually, I ONLY have:

VB Mod
Y-Pipe
SC
MEVI

That's it.

Wouldn't that make it an even race? <j/k>

Oh yeah, forgot....the aluminum dash kit adds 200hp and 400tq.

IanS
Old 07-19-2002, 09:36 PM
Sports Button FTW

Actually, I ONLY have:

VB Mod
Y-Pipe
SC
MEVI

That's it.

Wouldn't that make it an even race? <j/k>

Oh yeah, forgot....the aluminum dash kit adds 200hp and 400tq.

IanS
everytime i downshift to 1 or 2 the way the car moves makes me think i'm hurting it....and what i reallized is that if i'm going mad fast and i downshift to slow down, my car takes a GOOD 2 seconds to react and actually slow down...a serious 2 seconds...i actually tried to count it....bad trans? usual wit auto's? i don't know but i sure as hell won't be worrying about it in a few days
Old 07-20-2002, 07:52 AM

everytime i downshift to 1 or 2 the way the car moves makes me think i'm hurting it....and what i reallized is that if i'm going mad fast and i downshift to slow down, my car takes a GOOD 2 seconds to react and actually slow down...a serious 2 seconds...i actually tried to count it....bad trans? usual wit auto's? i don't know but i sure as hell won't be worrying about it in a few days
I'm not talking about downshifting to slow your car down!! I'm saying that if you want to get a quick reaction and hard pull to race from a roll, downshift and punch it. Downshifting to slow down with an auto is RETARDED!!
Old 07-20-2002, 09:05 AM

Take off the sc. I'll take you with your mevi and vb mod. Just let me put my cattman back on.....its got flex issues.

Anyway mecca, your car is halfway there, auto tranny off, act clutch & pressure plate is on. I just gotta do the interior and run the clutch lines...etc...damn we spent like 8 hours doing that **** till 4 am. My friend was underneath the car taking the auto out, when all the fluid came out on him....he wasnt happy lol.
Old 07-20-2002, 11:34 AM

manual tranny x amount of moving parts

auto tranny has x + more moving parts, maily the torque converter, which translates to power loss. It is not so much that the auto tranny is slower shifting(it does play a part) but more that is tranmits less power to the wheels than a manual tranny.
Old 07-20-2002, 12:13 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

argh! i want the Y-pipe sooooooo bad. I need moola! I'm realizing that's like the only affordable mod i have left to do... I've already got a cone intake (K&N) and catback exhaust... i think y-pipe is the next thing to do. right?
Old 07-20-2002, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by nadir_s
argh! i want the Y-pipe sooooooo bad. I need moola! I'm realizing that's like the only affordable mod i have left to do... I've already got a cone intake (K&N) and catback exhaust... i think y-pipe is the next thing to do. right?
Yes.
Old 07-20-2002, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by skeelo34

Take off the sc. I'll take you with your mevi and vb mod. Just let me put my cattman back on.....its got flex issues.

I think that would actually be an interestng race.

But the SC is not removable.

IanS
Old 07-20-2002, 10:32 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by skeelo34

Anyway mecca, your car is halfway there, auto tranny off, act clutch & pressure plate is on. I just gotta do the interior and run the clutch lines...etc...damn we spent like 8 hours doing that **** till 4 am. My friend was underneath the car taking the auto out, when all the fluid came out on him....he wasnt happy lol.
oh sh*t! my d*cks hard
Old 07-21-2002, 01:54 AM

oh sh*t! my d*cks hard
Dude, I told you to stop dowloading ****.

Old 07-21-2002, 04:29 PM
SLOW

In addition to being lighter, not having to wait for TCs to transfer power, and the ability to shift when they want, etc, 5spds have more agressive gearing for better acceleration.
Old 07-21-2002, 04:55 PM
Sports Button FTW

yup...and car is practically done, but a stupid clutch line is acting up...gotta wait for that to be fixed and i should be smooth sailing

and skeelo told me there is NO PLAY so just more good news