4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

[HELP] Problems after maxspeed install on 96 Auto

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 07:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

[HELP] Problems after maxspeed install on 96 Auto

I installed the maxspeed springs on a 96 Auto and it looks great but only problem is now my car won't run I don't know exactly how to explain the problem but after the install was complete, we tried to take it for a test drive and when putting the car into drive, there was a loud grinding noise which got louder the longer I left it in drive. So imediatly, we put the car back into park and the grinding slowly stopped. I don't know what we did to have caused this but the car is undrivable. A few of the guys helping with the install can prob better explain the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Richie
Old 07-21-2002, 10:21 AM

There was a lot of pushing done on the left front rotor in order to get the strut back in place. Moreso than any of the struts I've ever installed (Going on 8 now ..) I've got a feeling part of the brake was moved and is now grinding on something but I'm not sure what part exactly would cause a problem like this.
Old 07-21-2002, 02:19 PM

I think you need to inspect your drive shafts in the front.

It sounds like your car was making the grinding noise when it was put in D even though the car was not moving so I think we can rule out brakes catching.

I dunno, sorry
Old 07-23-2002, 12:46 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Your CV joint seperated when you took the strut out. Thats why you had problems getting the hub to go back into position. The drive shaft was holding you back.

The same thing happened to Kevins car when I did his suspension 2 weeks ago. I had to open the CV joint up and insert the spline shaft back into the CV joint. (what a mess that is) There's a "C" clip which is supposed to hold that shaft in place. Somehow that clip wasn't seated and the spline shaft fell right out from the joint. You cannot see this because it's under the rubber boot. If you look at the boot closely, you'll notice that it is extended. Grap the drive shaft and it feels like it's not connected to anything. The only thing holding it in place at the hub is the rubber boot.

If you've put your car in gear you most likely tore that boot to pieces when the shaft tried to spin. It can be repaired fairly easily, you need to get that shaft back into place and make sure the "C" clip snaps into place. You also need a new boot on the end and new clips to hold the boot in place. That job is pretty simple but very messey. Make sure you put some more CV joint grease in there too.

I wish I took a picture of this when it happened to me 2 weeks ago. I've never seen anything like that happen to a drive shaft on a FWD car before. Totally took me by suprise and I think made Kevin a bit nervous while I took his drive shaft apart.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:31 PM

I remember it quite well Tom. I may have farted , but I wasn't nervous, Just more ticked off that the mechanic who fixed the thign did such a poor job. I actually am gald that you were able to help me get that thing back together, still owe you a nice lunch for that one If I had done this suspension alone I would probalby had done the same thing that klubjunkee did.
Old 07-28-2002, 05:41 PM

Re: [HELP] Problems after maxspeed install on 96 Auto

hey Richie

did u get ur Maxima fixed???

l8er