4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Service Needed Soon Light Came On

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2000, 06:58 PM

I self maintain the car and would like to know where the reset button for the mileage counter is for this light?

Thanks
Old 12-11-2000, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by BrianV
I self maintain the car and would like to know where the reset button for the mileage counter is for this light?
You are in for a disappointment. There is no "reset button" and there is no "mileage counter".

The Check Engine Light is evidence that something is wrong. That
"something" may be any number of things, some major and some minor. It
might be nothing more than a loose fuel filler cap. The Engine Control
Module (the computer) detected a problem and turned on the Check Engine
Light. At the same time it stored one or more Diagnostic Trouble Codes.
Get someone to do a DTC readout for you. This is not a big deal, does not
require specialized "dealer only" test equipment, and should take less than
an hour. When you know the stored DTCs, you will have a fair idea of what
repairs are needed.

If you like to do your own "wrenching" you can do the DTC readout for
yourself. Go to your public library and borrow a Chilton's or Haynes
manual for your vehicle. It contains detailed instructions and a table
which "translates" the numerical codes into words. No special tools are
required. You will also find instructions to do a DTC readout and reset
the Check Engine light at Steve Cutchen's excellent MaxFAQs page:
http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max_faq/
Old 12-11-2000, 10:17 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Why do some people belive that car manufacturers intentionally make the "service engine soon" light come on? To make someone come in for service for no reason (except to rip-off) seems illegal.
Old 12-11-2000, 11:35 AM

Did I say it was check engine light? No, it is "Service Engine Soon" light. every car has one of these lights. It's the one that goes off about every 5000 miles to let the driver know it needs oil changes, etc.
Old 12-11-2000, 11:55 AM

Did I say it was check engine light? No, it is "Service Engine Soon" light. every car has one of these lights. It's the one that goes off about every 5000 miles to let the driver know it needs oil changes, etc.
I apologize for the ambiguity. There are various names in common usage for that worrisome dashboard warning light. Many people call it the Check Engine Light because their car, or some car they owned in the past, had such a light. Your Maxima, and mine too, has a warning light marked Service Engine Soon. The official OBD-2 designation is Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL). All of these names refer to the same thing. My Owner's Manual specifically identifies the Service Engine Soon light as the MIL. It has nothing to do with 5000 mile intervals, nor does it have any relationship with routine maintenance requirements such as oil changes. To quote from my Owner's Manual "If the malfunction indicator light comes on steady or blinks while the engine is running, it may indicate a potential emission control problem." It goes on to distinguish between conditions which cause the MIL to blink or to be on steady. Then there is a bold print warning (quoting again): "CAUTION. Continued vehicle operation without having the emission control system checked and repaired as necessary could lead to poor driveability, reduced fuel economy, and possible damage to the emission control system."

Nissan recommends changing engine oil and filter at intervals of 7.5K miles under normal driving conditions and 3.75K miles under severe driving conditions. There is no recommended service at 5K mile intervals. There is no dashboard warning light to indicate the necessity of changing engine oil. Other makes of cars may have this feature, but the Maxima does not.
Old 12-11-2000, 12:18 PM

So then there is no "Check Engine" light or symbol? Ok well what happened was my intake kind of slipped off right before the MAF. This is when I got the light to come on. I thought it was perhaps coincidence because it wasn't a Check Engine Light but more of a Server Engine Soon light. Anyways the car was running like crap for about 1/2 a mile until I fixed the intake problem. Now it runs fine but the indicator is still on. I'm just going to disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes to let everything reset.
Old 12-11-2000, 12:40 PM

So then there is no "Check Engine" light or symbol? ... ...
Yes, there is such a light. It is marked Service Engine Soon.

I'm just going to disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes to let everything reset.
You are in for a disappointment. Disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes will not "let everything reset". It will, however, cause the radio and clock to get amnesia.
Old 12-11-2000, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by NickStam
Why do some people belive that car manufacturers intentionally make the "service engine soon" light come on? To make someone come in for service for no reason (except to rip-off) seems illegal.
Well it used to be that the service engine soon light came on at 60k and that's it. That was for cars to get their timing belts changed. And at the same time, the dealer would gouge you of hundreds of dollars worth of unnecessary repairs.

But now a lot of cars have lights that come on every 5k, or whenever some sensor detects the oil has turned to mud and needs to be changed (like on BMW's).